ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #5551
Rick001
Never too old

Oddometer: 645
I now its only going to be mono coming out, but it has a very strong background noise that is audible at 100kmh when the GPS talks. Not too bad when there is instructions coming through, but is really annoying when the instructions stop, and you have that delay before the GPS audio disconnects. Will try moving the SR10 to a different location and see if that helps.

Just figured out that the noise is caused by the power cable to it. Run it off the internal battery and it is fine. Plug the power cable in and it gets the humm. Looks like i need a 12v power filter of some kind.

Think Ive fixed it.. Need a Ground Loop isolator...... get one in the morning and pray.............

Rick001 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 01:33 AM
Rick001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #5552
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Snap a ferrite choke on the cable and see if that helps. Sounds like you have some RF interference.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #5553
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Snap a ferrite choke on the cable and see if that helps. Sounds like you have some RF interference.
'Ferrite Choke' would be a great name for a band.

Sorry, nothing to report in the gps world today.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #5554
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
'Ferrite Choke' would be a great name for a band.

Sorry, nothing to report in the gps world today.
He actually needs a 1:1 transformer that stops a "ground loop" which can be caused when you have 2 devices, both running off the same power source that are talking to each other.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #5555
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I just finished a three-day trip to ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and my Montana 650 performed well. I cannot say enough about how much I like navigating using Tracks versus Routes.

I saw an interesting behavior while using the Track Manager. (I was using the v4.60 firmware.)

I had the Montana in its mount, and my bike was powered off (the CANBus power circuit to the mount was not powered at the time). I started the Montana manually, using its on/off button. I went to the Track Manager, selected an existing Track, and then pressed the Delete button to delete the Track. The unit immediately shot down. I restarted the Montana and returned to the Track Manager. Repeated the deletion sequence with another (different) Track and the Montana powered off once again. I repeated the sequence (powered up the Montana on its battery and entered Track Manager) again and selected a third Track for deletion. The third Track was deleted without the unit shutting down on its own. All three Tracks were created in BaseCamp (converted from Routes) and sent to the Montana's internal storage.

Has anyone seen this Track Manager behavior before?

Otherwise, my Montana performed flawlessly.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #5556
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Has anyone seen this Track Manager behavior before?
I have - I've reported recently how my Montana shut down repeatedly as I tried to delete tracks. Otherwise, mine works perfectly the rest of the time. I never have lockups/white screens etc at any time while using it. In fact it's been many months since I've had a lockup.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #5557
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
On my just completed month long ride in Europe, I had the unit lock up on me 3 times. It took a battery removal to in-freeze it. I'm only on software version 4.4 so an update is probably necessary.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #5558
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
On my just completed month long ride in Europe, I had the unit lock up on me 3 times. It took a battery removal to in-freeze it. I'm only on software version 4.4 so an update is probably necessary.

Tim in Burien, WA
Removing the battery to unfreeze it is likely to allow it to lock the same way again. The best way to unfreeze it is to hold the power button in for 20 seconds when you have the gps off a powered mount. This seems to clear out caches or something, and is much more reliable.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #5559
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Thanks for the tip. I think I tried that with no success, but I'll be more conscious about it going forward. I do really like the unit especially after fighting with my 2720 which has a failing touch screen today on a 250 mile rain ride in Western WA.

Quote:
Removing the battery to unfreeze it is likely to allow it to lock the same way again. The best way to unfreeze it is to hold the power button in for 20 seconds when you have the gps off a powered mount. This seems to clear out caches or something, and is much more reliable.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #5560
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Help before I throw this thing. Here's my problem. I have the Montana 600 and am using BaseCamp. I purchased the Topo US 24K yesterday. Loaded it on my computer but can't seem to get the maps to load up to the Montana. I've disabled everything on the Montana Map wise and tried again but still no new maps. WTF? Just noticed on the back of the packaging where it list compatible Garmin units. The Montana is not listed but I can't imagine they are selling software that won't work on their new units. Thanks in advance for any help.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #5561
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
There was a problem with some of the batteries. Mine kept shutting off

They sent me a new one and is all good now
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #5562
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Help before I throw this thing. Here's my problem. I have the Montana 600 and am using BaseCamp. I purchased the Topo US 24K yesterday. Loaded it on my computer but can't seem to get the maps to load up to the Montana. I've disabled everything on the Montana Map wise and tried again but still no new maps. WTF? Just noticed on the back of the packaging where it list compatible Garmin units. The Montana is not listed but I can't imagine they are selling software that won't work on their new units. Thanks in advance for any help.
You need to use MapInstall. Make sure you have the most recent version by checking here: Windows Version

Or if you have a Mac, go here instead:
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #5563
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Which version of Topo US 24k did you purchase? They should all be compatible with your Montana :)

Nearly everything you need to know about sending maps to your Montana can be found here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #5564
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Got my new Montana to replace my piece of #hit one I got first off. The new one, I am tickled to say, stayed on the bike all day (150 ish miles) without ever shutting off or giving me the white screen! Maybe Garmin fixed the problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #5565
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Two days later the battery hasn't gone down any. The meter still reads full. I think this marks the end of my test phase; the Rugged Mount does not put a drain on the Montana's battery when the mount is disconnected/unpowered.

So I think Levain's Rugged Mount must still be electrically active even though it's on a switched circuit, causing a drain on the gps battery.
I checked mine today too. Same battery level as when I began Maybe an undocumented fix Anyway, I'm not complaining as now I can leave my Montana mounted on the bike between rides

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote