Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #301
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,787
so i read this and thought mike is bringing this back to a civilized level but then maybe you are not talking about the tire...
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #302
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,303
It is all a matter architecture. The design of the old Spanish influenced buildings and churches is very interesting and pleasing to the eye, but that last piece of architecture, and I think most of the male gnarly adventures would agree, takes the prize for design, beauty, and functionality. Just sayin..............
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #303
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i'll try and seek out more unique pieces, i need to keep the reading audience happy
Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #304
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Remember the rule, Paul.
When you see something in a foreign land that you need, buy it!
Now THAT's funny
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #305
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i had a walk around Campeche in the early morning, there was a street level art show by Javir Marin and the pieces were HUGE!!!

Campeche is a beautiful walled city with some great old house on the narrow cobbled streets, well worth a visit

the rest of the day i took a quick 200 k ride to Merida to meet Silviu (aka ss in vzla) we had a few and had a few and then we looked at my route for Venezuela

had a great time thanks for hosting me and look forward to seeing you again in VZ or back in Mexico next year
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #306
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Once the rain stopped I went out to lube the chain and noticed the bubble has grown considerably so now tomorrow its time to try and find a new tire, Hiedeneau…not impressed. I got it from Revzilla so hopefully they will stand behind the product even though I can’t return it for obvious reasons
Just got an email from Matt at Revzilla and they have issued a 100% refund against the price of the tire...now thats honesty and integrity and to all you overlander adventure riders make note of that, most companies would have just said no you're not in the country, not our problem - tough!

lets hear it for www.revzilla.com

rtwpaul screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 07:44 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #307
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

out of Merida in the morning heading to Chetumel on the Belize border, riding across the Yucatan is not to interesting, flat land, tree lined roads blocking your view of everything and small towns dotted along the way...on the way back i'm going to do the Mayan ruins tours before any of you comment on that

Yucatan traffic lights

if all this beer was poured in a swimming pool i would have jumped in, it was a hot one today

and then on schedule the afternoon rains arrived at 3 pm precisely

rtwpaul screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 07:40 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #308
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Nice meeting you too.
Hope we can meet again when I'm back in Venezuela, maybe take a ride together.

Great pics of Campeche...

And a big to Revzilla
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #309
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Just got an email from Matt at Revzilla and they have issued a 100% refund against the price of the tire...now thats honesty and integrity and to all you overlander adventure riders make note of that, most companies would have just said no you're not in the country, not our problem - tough!

lets hear it for www.revzilla.com
I like that.

They'll be gettin' my business.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #310
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,355
I'm ordering a new rear today. Revzilla gets my order based on this. Nice work
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #311
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I'm ordering a new rear today. Revzilla gets my order based on this. Nice work
i'll be singing their praises from now on for sure as well
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #312
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,303
Revzilla-yea. I have never heard anything negative about them. Their web site and videos highlighting the equipment are by far the best out there.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #313
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i have just finished writing a Central America Border Crossing Guide.. "A step by step guide for crossing the notoriously difficult Central America borders, showing pictures of buildings, paperwork, fees, tips...with this book you find your way south a breeze".

Hardback, softback and PDF version HERE

ebook for all Apple products ibooks ipad format HERE

first of all i apologize up front about the quality of today's photos, it was heavy rain off and on all day and i was doing a border crossing so i was just snapping shots as i was riding

CENRUT maps for Garmin here are kind of OK, not too accurate but they send you in the right direction, my route was off by about 20 yards

OK the differences since crossing the border

i lived in the Bahamas for a number of years and also traveled around numerous caribbean islands as well, straight away you get a feeling like you are on an island in the caribbean. Houses on short stilts because of high water issues, tin roofs, small low level stuff, some Mayan huts as well, a few unfinished Mexican style houses too - someone correct me on this if i'm wrong, i remember traveling in Spain years ago and i was told that if a house isn't 100% finished then no taxes are due, i was told it the same in Mexico, thats why they always look like the second floor or roof is waiting to be put on

also more pastel shades as well for exterior paint

KM's are gone you're back in MPH

topes are gone now they are...

very few were painted and blended in with the road very well, but same rules as Mexico applies, most of the time there are some on the way in and on the way out of a town

animals look healthier

when they say its rainy season they mean it

women ride bicycles in the rain with umbrellas!!!

places are signposted pretty well, my destination for today was the Crooked Tree Lodge, up this dirt road for 4 miles, there was a "toll" to enter the village but i just rode by, its $4, i didn't have any change anyway

i get to the lodge and i'm the only one here, its rainy season!!! but its very cool i'll take some photos and add them in the next post or two, the owner is an ex british military guy called Mick, and already he has invited me to a pig roast tomorrow at some friends of his...might stay here a while, well 19 days at the most

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 01:08 PM
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #314
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

just did a quick total up for 11 days riding south bound thru mexico as i know some of you want to now cash figures so you can workout your budgets

so, hotels every night, most thanks to Sjeord Bakkers budget mexico hotel book, and i picked good ones except one night, breakfast, lunch and dinner most days a few toll roads that couldn't be avoided due to wrong turns and also getting away from the texas/ mexico border and trying to get to Campeche before dark and this includes gas and i did about 70/30 magna/ premium mix due to a few bad lots of gas along the way, probably due to the heavy rain in some places getting into their holding tanks

all came out to $428 or about $39 a day - this doesn't include a new tire and two new inner tubes, if i took out the tolls it would drop to $380 or $35 a day, i could have wild camped a few days if the rain wasn't so imminent and i could have had it down to less than $30 a day...so what are you waiting for? get out for ride south bound
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #315
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Awesome report on border crossing. I am currently D minus 10. More or less......

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
b4thenite is online now   Reply With Quote