Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
You should just go for it. I've owned 2, and the ST11 is a great bike. I owned an ST1300, and liked the 11 much better. Every bike isn't a perfect match for every person. So if you're thinking about it, just do it.

If you don't like it? Resell it. STs hold their value well.

And don't let the weight fool you. You can hustle the 11 down a twisty backroad with little effort. The steering is very neutral, so you really don't have to wrestle the bike to make it do what you want it to do. The bike is deceptively fast. It's so smooth that there is never really a "hit" of power when you twist the grip. Just silky-smooth linear acceleration.

They take deer hits well, too. I drove my 11 onto the roll back after clobbering Bambi in the side at 60 mph. Insurance paid me more than I paid for the bike, I got to keep the bike, and then I parted it out for enough cash to buy the ST1300 with cash. Too bad I didn't care for the 13 too much. Good looking bike, just extremely top-heavy to me. Fuel injection was very twitchy which made for terrible low speed manuevers. The carburetion on the ST11 is seamless and buttery smooth. Carb syncs are easy to do as well.

Hard to go wrong on the prices you are talking about. Good luck with whatever you decide.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I owned my 91 ST1100 for over 17 years and 77K miles. Great bike ! I preferred it to both my 97 Concours and 05 FJR 1300.

On the ST1100 heat was never an issue compared to the Concours ... hottest bike I've ever owned.

My last ride on the ST in Sept 08 .. Gone but not forgotten !
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
My only issue would be weight and that has more to do with my driveway/garage configuration. My R1200ST is 200 pounds lighter then a ST1100 with more power. It also wasn't $3k either. Personally I think you can't go wrong with any bike used in police service. The ST11/13 series proved itself under the most demanding conditions for a street bike.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #19
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
About the heat issue...
I own a 13. It USED to be a nut-cooker, but there is an easy fix.
I sealed around the seatpan with a rubber moulding I bought from Home Depot. Then I removed the left inner fairing (invisible from the exterior). The increased airflow around the radiator swept the excess heat out of the left side air duct. No problem now in 90 degree heat. Mind you ANY bike gets hot when you're not moving, but the ST1300 is now no worse than my Versys. For more details, search for "heat issues" on the ST Owners forum.

My Concours was a cooker as well, but a $20 aftermarket heat shield fixed the problem. Most all the ST's issues (and there are few) are fairly easily addressed. Don't let them scare you away.

Ride On !

Outwardbound screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 06:25 AM
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #20
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Oh yeah..and another thing..

When I bought my 13 I looked at several 11's. I decided on the 13 because I was "done" with carb'ed bikes. I never thought I really needed some of the bells and whistles standard on the 13. But....
I found that the electrically adjustable windshield is the greatest thing since canned beer. Really. Who'dathunkit ? It's now an item I'll never be without, and I'm an anti-farkle kinda guy. It's that good.

SO......I gotta recommend that you do whatever it takes to find a 13 over an 11. It really IS a generation ahead. Absolutely no regrets spending the extra dosh for the 13, and as bike-buyers go I'm as cheap as they come.

Just food for thought.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Another hot, heavy Honda.

I can't imagine how all those owners roll up over a hundred, two hundred, even over three hundred thousand miles on them.

Gotta admit I was suprised that I was so uncomfortable on the ST1100. I know their reputation as a serious hi-miler. I bought mine from a friend who'd owned it since '94 and had put over 100,000kms on it. I thought at last I'm getting a bike I can sit on for hours and eat up the miles, after years of HDs and other standard style bikes. I should note that it was my first full on, liquid cooled, tupperware touring bike, even though I fancy myself a 'touring' rider. I like to ride longer distances on back roads.

The first 2-4 hr ride I did was on a 80 degree day. It still had the higher windshield on it. Short of stripping down to my undies I could do nothing to cool down...
The previous owner is a big guy. The seat was well worn in and bars were stock. My butt was seriously hurting after an hour. On a 5 -6 hour ride I was squirming for most of it. Lack of alternative positions for my feet caused my knees and legs to get pretty stiff.

I traded it on an original style Victory cruiser. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but with a Mustang seat, windshield and floorboards, the upright (kitchen chair) seating position and multiple options for foot placement make the same roads I covered on the ST in sweaty pain, pleasant afternoon rides. Plus, to my eye, the Victory has a much nicer, classic look.
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Another hot, heavy Honda.
You forgot boring.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
This is in Iowa City. Out of your budget, but seems to be in tip top shape for the age/miles. http://iowacity.craigslist.org/mcy/3274773929.html
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
I've found a 91' with the 40amp upgrade, nearing 90k miles but the belt and pump were done a year ago. The owner is an ST fan, not just someone that happens to own one, alot of nice add ons, stock seat and bar height, but has most anything else I'd think of. He's at 3k firm on it and it's likely worth it, just not sure I want to pony that much up right now, just too many other things I should be spending money on....we'll see.
If you buy an ST, you should buy one from an "ST guy" that knows the bike and has taken care of it accordingly.

I had a 98 model and put 40k on it all over the US. Fantastic motorcycle. And with suspension upgrades - there were many guys on sportbikes wondering who that guy with the saddlebags and CB antenna was that just passed.

Mine was freaking CHERRY and I hated to sell it because I knew I'd never find one like it again. But, we had a few kids and I stopped taking long mile or multi day rides all the time and it was just a little too big and a little too heavy for playing around locally. Kind of like you need to run out to the store and get a gallon of milk real quick - and you've got an F-350 Dually and a Jeep Wrangler in the driveway. Nothing in the world wrong with the F-350, but you're gonna jump in the Jeep.

They aren't comfortable for some people STOCK, but seat change, bar change or risers and they can be super comfy. I did 1326-miles in one sitting on mine and physically felt fine when I got home, mentally I was smoked. LOTS of guys do BIG day miles on these bikes, they can't be all that uncomfortable.

Damn, just reliving this is making me miss mine ....

And don't let anyone tell you they won't handle the twisties - me and YellowWolf had a great run across the Prison Road TN 116 one day. If you don't know who he is, google him and watch some of this videos of running his Wing across the Dragon.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
[QUOTE=Outwardbound;19786371]Oh yeah..and another thing..

When I bought my 13 I looked at several 11's. I decided on the 13 because I was "done" with carb'ed bikes. I never thought I really needed some of the bells and whistles standard on the 13. But....
I found that the electrically adjustable windshield is the greatest thing since canned beer. Really. Who'dathunkit ? It's now an item I'll never be without, and I'm an anti-farkle kinda guy. It's that good.

SO......I gotta recommend that you do whatever it takes to find a 13 over an 11. It really IS a generation ahead. Absolutely no regrets spending the extra dosh for the 13, and as bike-buyers go I'm as cheap as they come.

Just food for thought.

I have ridden both extensively, and in the end chose my 02 ST1100. I found it to be more touring oriented than the 1300, not that anything was wrong with the 1300. I just "fit" on the 1100 better and it''s a more heavy, robust bike- like a tank- which I like. I think that the ST1100 is one of the most reliable motorcycles that Honda has ever built. I have never heard of any bike that has been taken care of experiencing any major problem. The main issues are to change the timing belt at about 90K, and to make sure the splines on the rear wheel are well lubed with each tire change. That's it-------just preventive maintenance issues. I have no problem with the heat on the bike, and I live in La., but that's just my opinion.

If the ST1100 (or ST1300 for that matter) has been maintained the bike should easily do 200K or more with just routine maintenance. The fluid lines, and the rubber carb parts will need to be replaced as the bike gets older but that's with any older bike. I have owned my ST1100 for 8 yrs, and only once did I want to change bikes, and that was for a Goldwing, but I decided the GW was just way too big and heavy for town use. I just recently finished a trip to Co., Ut, NM, and Tx. and never had a problem with the bike, even at high altitudes. I have also ridden all over the Smoky mountain states and again never had any issue with the bike

The latest model ST1100 (2002) can be had for about $3500-4000. For that price you get an absolutely unbustable sport touring bike that will last you as long as you want to ride it.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Maverick75
Rat

Oddometer: 73
Just another opinion amongst many. I'm on my second ST11 after a 6-year run on a R1200GS. The first ST I aquired at 130000km and sold at 230000km, now it has 280000km and is still going strong. The timing belt is not a big job really and as long as the final drive spline has been properly lubed at tyre changes these bikes are unkillable.

Regarding heat, my first ST, a '93, got very hot but my latest one, a '01, doesn't. The '01 has insulation under the tupperware that the '93 never had. Worthwhile looking into if you buy an earlier model.

Also, the newer bike is an ABS-CBS model. All opinions on ABS aside, the brake hardware itself is much better (better calipers, greater brake area etc). I would definitely recommend the ABS-CBS model if available.

I test rode a ST13 when leaving the first 11, but thought it felt too 'busy' compared to the extremely relaxed nature of the 11.

As far as 'boring' is concerned, my '01 with a Penske rear unit and racetech gold valves up front is surprisingly quick through the twisties. I also ride a lot of dirt roads and tracks (a habit I aquired courtesy of my GS years) and they are quite capable as such, providing you plan your attack and don't get too silly. They are easy to pick up if you lift correctly.

You can feel assured that this bike is going to deliver you to your destination without the wheels falling off .
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Well gentlemen, I started a new thread. I picked up a new sport touring rig, one that will have it's own flaws and niggles but it's got it's own charms as well. It's a 98' Triumph Trophy 1200. It's had most of the "issues" dealt with(coils, fuel and vac lines, rejetted). Other than sharing mpg figures with an F150 it's a hoot thus far, and I got it for a song.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Not a damn thing wrong with a Trumpy, I would still have my ST had a lady not stopped at a green light
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote