Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,465
Awesome trip, thanks for posting the pics and story.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #32
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
Howdy All,

Jock sent me an email that included a map of this trip, each day is marked on the map in a different color, sorry for the poor photos, they are of my computer screen, still this should give you an idea of where we were on any given day of the sojourn. Here is the over all map,

Here is a detail of the part of Oz that we traveled.

Remember that day six of the rideabout took us to Canberra, the southern most part of the ride, from Canberra we rode northwest to Dennis's home. Day seven of the rideabout, started out very cold in the morning and got colder as we rode. Here's a shot of Dennis's home and the garage we parked in for the night.

It wasn't long before we stopped to put on more clothing, I put on my cold weather gloves and neck warmer, Jock put on his blue rain-cold weather cover-alls. The wind and the air moving past us as we rode penetrated any opening in our riding gear.

Jock now looking like "Papa Smurf" we continued on.

I have no idea where this old building was, I just thought it would make a good photo.

We stopped at this bike shop to buy some oil and spare tire for Jock's bike, for a few days I had seen that Jock's hands were cold and convinced him to buy a pair of cold weather gloves whilst at this shop.

We stopped here for lunch and then rode on.

I didn't take many photos, it was COLD and we were just knocking down the miles-klicks, we would stop for gas, grab a quick snack and then hit the road. Just as it was starting to get dark we found a room in the town of Scone, we put our gear in the room and went into the pub for food and drinks.

One thing I really liked about the Aussie's they talk straight as can be seen by this sign in the cigarette machine in the pub.

On day eight of the rideabout we met up with Zac, the other Yank who would spend the next couple of weeks riding with us. On the way to meet Zac we would again be riding in the mountains, beautiful country.

The grades were steep, we passed many large trucks.

The weather was kinda overcast, looked like it would rain but it didn't, but it was cold.

Jock's friend Gene who races a sidecar equipped iron head Sporster, had picked Zac up at the airport and given him a ride to where Jock had left the KLR. Zac then rode the KLR and Gene drove his car to the bike museum where we met up. Gene is standing on the left, Jock in the middle, Zac on the right.

After Gene had left to go home, Jock, Zac and I continued our journey, we stopped at this store to buy a funnel.

We rode the rest of the day on our way to Inmate "Rev Tiny" home where would spend the night. Tiny lives in a very neat 100 plus year old house.

After we were settled in, I did an oil change on the Ural, Tiny then took us to a club where we had a good dinner and more beer. Tiny, who is HUGE and his wife are seated on the left.

The morning of day nine of the rideabout, before Tiny left for work we took this photo, Cob, Zac, Tiny and Jock.

Zac and Jock spent a few hours getting crash bars bolted onto the KLR, some parts had to be reworked and some hardware scrounged but they were successful in the end.

The crash bars in place, the air filter cleaned, Zac has his gear loaded, we are ready to hit the road.

Before we leave from Tiny's home, I had to get one more dog fix.

We stop for food and fuel.

I liked this guy.

Every time we stopped if there were people around they asked questions and wanted to talk about the Ural.

We rode until we camped at a caravan park near or in Burke, it only got down to -2C that night so it wasn't bad. I had a GOOD sleeping bag, nice air mattress all this on top of a small fold down cot, having a sidecar to haul your gear in means being able to be COMFORTABLE, important when you get to be an old fat geezer.

Zac's tent.

Jock's tent.

Getting up the next morning, day ten of the rideabout, it was down right CHILLY outside.

A bit of heavy frost on the bike seats.

In the morning after breaking camp we rode into town for food and fuel, stopped at park and looked at the river which was heavy with silt.

An old pump engine was on display.

Later we again stop for food and fuel, here we filled up the red spare gas can for the first time. From here on we would be heading into the out back, the Ural was getting around 25-27 miles per gallon, so having the two 2.5 gallon spare gas cans was needed to insure I made it between fuel stops.

THIS, is what I had come to Australia for, the next two and a half weeks would be thousands of klicks-miles of this type of road sometimes MUCH worse, oh yeah we're havin FUN NOW.

In the photos of the dirt, gravel, sometimes very narrow paved roads that will follow in this ride report the surface looks to be very smooth, NOTHING could be further from the truth. The sand in places was very deep, depending on what time of day it was and how the shadows lay across the road made it very difficult to see the ruts, HOLES and sometimes rocks that lay beneath what looked like a freshly maintained surface. The dust in places was very bad making riding within sight of each other next to impossible. Because of the dust and the very POOR design of the air box-filter on the Ural, I rode the Ural ahead of Jock and Zac for most of the trip. That way I could set the pace and keep the air filter clean for a long time before having to service it.

Jock would tell me where we were going, show me on the map what to look for and then send me on my way, THANKS for doing this Jock, it made the trip much more enjoyable, in this way I could stop and take photos, ride at my own pace if I wanted to just take in the scenery and not have to beat the Ural trying to keep up with the bikes when we came to hills. Oh and if you think that having the Ural set the pace meant SLOW, your mistaken I was running the Ural at 85-100 kph, 53-63 mph 95% of the way and on these types of roads that is not to slow.

Again we stop for fuel.

The first of three rear tires that I would wear out on this trip, I would run the rear tire until it went flat, I only had one spare tire other then the mounted spare and I needed to get as much mileage out of the tires as possible.

The spare tire installed, we are ready to roll............

The road gets narrower and nastier.

Then it opens up again.

Its getting dark, the temperature is dropping, the road is covered in fist sized rock.

We fuel up before finding lodging for the night.

We stayed at the Family Pub, in Tib.

Parked around back.

Ate some great food.

And drank lots of beer.

The next day we would head further into the out back, see lots of wild critters and "Road Trains", I was sure having a great time. Stay tuned.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #33
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Day eleven of the rideabout, would take us from Tib to Camerons Corner.

The morning broke with a clear sky, the air brisk, we loaded our gear and prepared to leave.

Packed up, fueled up, we are ready to roll.

This would be one of the shorter days in the saddle, as the sign shows at this junction we were 79 klicks from Tib with only 60 to go before reaching Camerons Corner.

Today I would see many Emu's sometimes as many as flocks of 8-10 birds in a group. It was hard to get a good photo of them as they didn't come close to the road.

New South Wales, the signs were numerous in places.

Information about the Park and the surrounding area.

I approach the Dingo gate.

Pass through the gate.

And close it behind me.

Crossing into South Australia.

I get to Cameron Corner before Jock and Zac, I visit with some other riders and wait for my mates to appear.

Inside the pub, I see this article about Jock, Jock is a pretty well known guy and knows personally many of the folks who run the pubs we have visited, these folks he has known for years.

Jock and Zac arrive, we share the first of a few meals and many beers.

Whilst Jock and Zac rode through the Park, I replaced the worn out spare tire with the new one I had been carrying, a small wire spool made the perfect work bench for such a job.

I use some hand soap to ease the new tire onto the rim.

I take this opportunity to do some maintenance on the rig, to include cleaning the dirty air filter.

After Jock and Zac return, Jock goes for a ride on the Ural.

Zac also takes the Ural for a spin.

Just before sundown, I notice that the tire on the rear of the rig is low, I pull it off to find a slow leak from something that had worked its way into and then out of the tire. I pull the tire and repair the tube.

The evening would find me getting an early start at sleeping whilst Jock and Zac drank beer well into the wee hours.

Day twelve of the rideabout, did NOT start well............ upon getting ready to leave, I find that the tire-tube I had repaired was FLAT So I replace the worn now flat tire with the spare wheel on which the day before I had installed the new tire. I would replace the tube in the older tire at my next opportunity.

We gas up and get ready to start a LONG day of riding on our way to Toompine.

Another middle of nowhere gas stop.

It was shortly after refueling that the Ural stated to run quite badly, at first I thought it was dirty air filter, so I pulled it out and checked it, the filter was clean.

While working on the rig we were passed by this truck, LOTS of dust was kicked up even though the truck was going rather slowly.

After reinstalling the air filter, we continued on, the Ural running worse and worse as each mile passed by. I thought I knew what the problem was but I couldn't work on it until we ran the tank out of gas. We didn't have anything to use to drain the gas tank on the rig into the spare can, we needed EVERY drop of fuel to get to the next station so we couldn't just drain the gas on the ground. I had noticed that the paint used to coat the filler neck area of the gas tank had started to bubble over the last couple of days, this is a known problem in the USA were the phucking ehtonal gas eats this paint and causes it to foul the filter screens in the petcock.

So we rode on, slowly but still moving, traveling down the level parts of the road in second gear, climbing the hills in first the engine struggling to run with no fuel.

I was hoping to make it to the next fueling stop but about 10 klicks from our next stop the rig ran out of fuel. Jock took the spare gas can into to town to fill it, while he was gone I pulled the petcock, this is what I found.

Using the tools that come in the rigs tool kit, I pulled the petcock, disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled it and reinstalled it on the gas tank just in time to pour the new gas in that Jock had arrived with.

All the while I was working on the petcock I was cussing out the folks at Ural for continuing to use that paint in the filler neck as they knew it was causing problems with some types of gasoline. YES, I love the Ural and am very good friends with the folks who OWN the company but that doesn't mean that at times I don't get upset with them. As soon as I could I sent an email to Ilya telling him that this HAD to be addressed, he replied that the new gas tanks starting in the 2013 model year would have the filler neck area of the tank zinc plated and NOT painted. So we rode on, the Ural running as it had before PERFECTLY.

We fuel up at the next station-pub and have a cold drink and a meat pie before setting out on the rest of the days journey.

The road stretches before us to the far horizon.............

When we get to the next town, the main gas station is out of gas.

Jock asks around and finds out that there is another station that is closed for the day but the owner will allow us to fuel up so we can keep going to each our destination before dark.

We reach our destination, a pub just outside of Toompine. we camp in a small field near a gun club.

As luck would have it, a large group of people were at the pub and celebrating the 21st birthday of a young man. We were invited to participate in the celebration, eat our fill at a great BBQ, and drink our fill of 2 dollar beers from the pub. Needless to say we took advantage of this, ate and drank our fill. What a great ending to what had started out a bad day especially when the darn petcock was fouled. Stay tuned the sag will continue.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 465
You're living one of my dreams with this one Mr. Cob.

Any chance you've figured out about what gas is costing you in US dollars? (per liter or gallon or however) And in the bush vs. in the cities?

The petcock thing..... you are THE Ural master.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #35
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
You're living one of my dreams with this one Mr. Cob.

Any chance you've figured out about what gas is costing you in US dollars? (per liter or gallon or however) And in the bush vs. in the cities?

The petcock thing..... you are THE Ural master.
Howdy quint7,

The US and Australian dollar are or were at the time of my trip about on par, only a few cents difference between them. Cost of gasoline averaged about $6.50 per gallon. I really didn't notice much difference in price through out the trip. If you get the chance to travel in Oz, DO IT, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Loving the RR Mr. Cob.
I was able to host Jock on his trip of America this week.
I look forward to meeting you somday in the NW
Cheers-Brad
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy quint7,

The US and Australian dollar are or were at the time of my trip about on par, only a few cents difference between them. Cost of gasoline averaged about $6.50 per gallon. I really didn't notice much difference in price through out the trip. If you get the chance to travel in Oz, DO IT, you won't be disappointed.
Thank you sir. Gas seems reasonable to me. It definitely is #1 on my list. Glad you got to pay respects to your fellow tread-heads. I spent 6 years on the Marine Corps' version of an APC (an AmTrac), including Gulf #1.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #38
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
Loving the RR Mr. Cob.
I was able to host Jock on his trip of America this week.
I look forward to meeting you somday in the NW
Cheers-Brad
Howdy brad1098,

I am glad you got the chance to meet and spend some time with Jock, he is one heck of a guy and a good rider. If your ever up in the Great Nor-Wet, please look me up.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
Thank you sir. Gas seems reasonable to me. It definitely is #1 on my list. Glad you got to pay respects to your fellow tread-heads. I spent 6 years on the Marine Corps' version of an APC (an AmTrac), including Gulf #1.
Howdy quint7,

Thank you for your service to our country.

Where ever I travel, I make it a point to seek out and pay my respects to monuments to those who have served and fallen, most of my ride reports have photos of the monuments I have visited whilst in the area. Its kinda weird how the clank and clatter of armored vehicles stays with you over the years, I miss it.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
quint7
I don't need a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy quint7,

Thank you for your service to our country.

Where ever I travel, I make it a point to seek out and pay my respects to monuments to those who have served and fallen, most of my ride reports have photos of the monuments I have visited whilst in the area. Its kinda weird how the clank and clatter of armored vehicles stays with you over the years, I miss it.
And you too sir. I do the same in my travels around the US. Lots of history out there in statue and monument form. We should be building more across the nation to show our respect for the men and women who raised their right hand. Inmate RTWDoug has some fantastic memorial pictures from his cross Europe ride and I am always on the lookout for threads with similar reports. I've been to the Imperial War Museum in London and I'm sure the Aussie's did their's right too.

I'll shut up and read from here on.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #41
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,224
How goes it on the other side of the pond Mr cob? good to see yourself & Jock have covered a bit of country here & in the US. Looking forward to the rest of the write up. If you catch up to Zac say g'day for me. Cheers DD

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
How goes it on the other side of the pond Mr cob? good to see yourself & Jock have covered a bit of country here & in the US. Looking forward to the rest of the write up. If you catch up to Zac say g'day for me. Cheers DD
Howdy Dennis,

Its good to hear from you mate, hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for your grand hospitality, what a neat home you have. I met up with Jock and Zac at small local rally down in Oregon, a few days later Jock and I did a quick three day tour of the best parts of my area. Jock has been touring the USA for the last two months and will in a couple of days be flying back to Oz.

Take care mate, keep dodging roos, ride hard.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #43
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Sorry for the delay in posting to the ride report, been kinda busy around the Casa del Cob.

Day thirteen of the rideabout, started by breaking camp in the COLD air while waiting for the frost to melt off our tents before packing them away for the days ride.

Zac takes photos of the goat herd as it walks by on the way to where it will be pastured.

We gas up before hitting the road before leaving from Toompine on our way to Barcldine.

I wait at the road junction for Zac and Jock to catch up before heading down the road on the next leg of the journey, Zac is approaching the junction in this photo.

This is where we are going............

This where we have been, the road seemed to go on forever...............

We reach a nice paved road that goes through some rolling hills and tree's, Jock and Zac catch up when I again stop to fuel from the spare gas can.

The paved road behind us, we turn off onto a narrow dirt road that in places was deeply rutted, this road must be impassable when its raining as much of it had signs warning of flooding.

I came across this little critter slowly walking across the road, I have no idea what it is.

We are passing through this area..............

We rode through many of these low spots, some had a bit of mud in them but not enough to be any problem.

We camped that night in a caravan park. The days ride had been a lot of fun, we covered some very nice gravel, some fun dirt, a few miles of great paved road then back on the hard fast gravel before hitting paved road just before finding a place to camp. I was really enjoying my time in Australia.

I'll be back in a bit, got some stuff to take care of, stay tuned.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #44
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,443
G'day Dave - the 'critter' is a Shingleback Lizard - nice little things and mate for life ...

No worries regarding the flask - pm me your address if you can and I will have another one forwarded on to you - Cheers
Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #45
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,224
Funny you should mention dodging 'roos. Got one with the GTR yesterday. I think the bike is a write off. I've got a bit of a sore leg& knee but otherwise ok. The little "critter" is a shingle back lizard. Found all over Aust. We had a couple living under the rocks near our front door. They are herbivoures & totally harmless (pretty unusual to have a harmless reptile over here! ) I've had them crawl along my shin to get dried fruit I placed on my knee! After a while when we came out the door & sat down if there were any around they would head for us to see if we had something for them to eat
Cheers DD

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote