Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
As a Multi 1200 and a 950 SE owner... I say do it.

The Multi does absolutely nothing well in my opinion. It's reasonably quick and good on gas but nothing spectacular (reading reviews, I thought this thing would be a rcoket but the gearing blows, even with a 14 t countershaft it doesn't shine until triple digits, and I really don't spend much time over 90) It's reasonably comforatble but cramped compared to the 950. Stock spring rates suck, will not handle at all. I definitely am far closer to death on my 950 on road, I imagine with SM wheels, the 950 would eat the 1200 for lunch. Fuel mileage is ok, top speed is ok, acceleration is ok, It's just a bland motorcycle. I kept hearing about these power wheelies.... Uh, what? It barely has authority let alone power wheelies. With the traction control engaged it just flashes the red light and cuts the throttle if you screw around at all. With it off, in sport mode, its; ok but nothign that says "track"

The KTM on the other hand! What a machine. I have taken it over 13,000' passes in the snow, went through extreme rated trails, road miles at 100 mph+, rode it hundreds of miles with camping gear, unloaded and out rode friends on MX bikes (deep creeks they couldn't cross but the 950 could). I have to assume the Adv is a bit of a compromise but with the same basic chassis with a fairing/larger fuel tanks, I bet it is the machine to have. Doing it again, I would have got a 990 Adv R and a 500 EXC. The twin takes me most everywhere I want to go, but for extreme trails a single would be nice. \For me currently, I have the Ducati since it has hard luggage (that sucks), smooth tires, and gets good fuel mileage, it;'s a good commuter and ok for 2 up if it's a short ride.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I sold two Ducatis to buy my KTM. I would have bought a Multistrada if it wasn't approximately twice as much.

Just FYI, comparable years a 990 R and MTS 1200 are the same price. I considered the SMT as well since it was in the price range. My wife hated the seats on the KTMs so we went Ducati. The BMWs were more comfortable and had a better dealer but were way way more expensive than the the KTM'/Ducati.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
How long do you intend to keep this one?

It's difficult to agrue with all the hype over the MS1200. The journos have dribbled on and on about how good it is and they should know...HOWEVER...

As a bike that you have to pay for and look after yourself, other factors become more important. Factors which will not come to light in an all-expenses-paid 1,000 mile road test. The millions of bikes out there with EFI and CDI ignitions have in fact proved that the electronics themselves are in the main, reliable...but expensive as hell when they aren't! Of course, we have to have EFI & CDI, soon to be joined by ABS, to provide a marketable bike to meet todays legislation but all the other gizmos simply add 'benefits', perceived or otherwise. In this category, I would include electronic suspension adjustment, electronic screen adjustment, on board computers, traction control, switchable mapping etc.

Apart from the added expense and a definate increase in potential failure rates, you have the long term complication for servicing/maintenance. These are unlikely to register on the 'excite-o-meter' that we read in the magazine tests.

Simply put, I don't want all that cr*p! ...but if you are looking at short term ownership within the warranty period, then it's probably not an issue.

By the way, I've not ridden the MS but I can say that my KTM is raw fun, on and off road. No gizmos required!

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
As a Multi 1200 and a 950 SE owner... I say do it.

The Multi does absolutely nothing well in my opinion..... It's just a bland motorcycle. I kept hearing about these power wheelies.... Uh, what? It barely has authority let alone power wheelies..
i spent a few hours on one and the only place i liked it better was handling -twisty pavement was good and it was ok cruising from 65 to 90. The fueling was bad and it was annoying that you had to live above 5k for good forward momentum. In fairness this was a stock bike compared to a dialed in 950.Apparently for 2 or 3 $k a race ecu and pipe improves the multi. So it would have been a $22k bike
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
This.

It is an absolute blast on pavement.

Not this.

If I NEVER AGAIN rode mine off-road, I would still consider it an excellent motorcycle, and I believe it would continue to function just fine in a pavement-only environment.
Well said - I could not agree more. The 990 is a great bike wherever you ride it - I commute, tour, chase sportsbikes down on the twisties - love it. I like its pedigree/history and that its different to most of the others, I think its just its authenticity and an overall ability to do most things.

Ducati make great bikes, I have had four and will probably have another alongside the KTM in the future - but one of their sportsbikes rather than the MS. I am lucky enough to have a number of bikes including a KTM EXC for my dirt riding, so the 990R is mostly pavement - but that's the point it will go on the dirt if I want it to.

The choice is simply what excites you, which makes you want to go out and ride and what gives you a smile when you are doing it...............for me the 990 is the bike.

Is there a MS Forum to ask the same question? That will confuse you
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
The Multi does absolutely nothing well in my opinion.
Maybe the power is different at high altitudes.

I can remember riding my Ducati ST2 over Tioga Pass in Yosemite a few years ago and when I went to pass a slower car I had to downshift a couple of gears and rev it up to get around, while at sea level it would have made the pass easily while remaining in sixth gear.

Maybe someday one of the motorcycle manufacturers will make the perfect bike.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,690
I feel one of those Motivational Posters coming on. "Multistrada.........selling more KTM Adventures than any other bike"

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 150
You want a 990 SMT not the Adventure.....

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Thomasttom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
You want a 990 SMT not the Adventure.....
SMT is a great bike but I've tried it and still prefer the ADV, even on the road. SMT is very flickable and fun but I prefer the stability of the adv and the offroad potential.
Thomasttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
I think the SM-T has the capability to do some light offroad as origionally stated with some decent 80/20 tires on it. Granted it won't go to as gnarly depths of stuff as the ADV would, but that goes somewhat to the design of the machine, and somewhat to the user and their own capabilities. How many times have we seen an innapropriate or generally percieved as incapable machinery being used for the wrong job or tasks that you wouldn't think of. Like Gixxers on muddy green roads for example.

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
The Ducati Multistrada is over-rated and the KTM 990A is under-rated...IMHO. I've had both.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
Thomasttom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm getting a bit closer to it. I maybe have found a buyer for my MTS at a fairly good price.
I found myself searching the web for best price on acras... Do you think I'm hooked?!
I need to take my final decision by Monday, so still looking for advice. Thanks!
Thomasttom is offline   Reply With Quote