Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #70036
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Woah. That's a crazy skinny rear tire. Does it still have enough traction with that narrower profile?
should be ass-loads of traction on the single track.

probably not so good on the paved canyon twisties, but that's what the 17" wheel is for. This is my single track only setup.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #70037
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Cool2 Fortunes to be made on fasteners.

I don't know how old many of you are but WAYYY back in the day, I recall my old YZ 125 A to date myself. You know BEFORE the days of one shock suspension . It had aircraft DZUS (sp?) quick connects to hold the side panels on. To refresh old dusty memories, it was like a bolt with a single slot with a quarter turn and and a notch. On the other side there was a heavy gauge wire that would hold it together . Its along the lines of an interrupted screw.

For the gas tank you can use more of these OR there is the alternative of having a stud welded in with a hole drilled in the top of it so you can pass a cotter pin /' a linchpin with an integral sprung retainer through it(connect these to the frame with a small wire so you dont lose them). Add a washer then pin the tank down the tank into location . That along with the seat being held down holding the tank in position should seem secure.I may not be smarter then the average bear but I am almost as old as dirt. Now who's gonna send me a royalty check.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 02:37 AM Reason: A mind like mine is always abuzz with ideas
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #70038
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
White tank

Westley's Bleache White (tire/whitewall cleaner from Walmart) worked very well on a white tank I had. I soaked paper towels in the Westley's and left them draped on the tank overnight. Soak them again the next morning if you need to.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Lucky you
I have a plan to turn my yellow-that-used-to-be-white IMS tank white again. I found that using a scotchbrite pad with soft scrub with bleach helped quite a bit.....I just didn't want to spend 24 hours scrubbiing on it to get the best results. So I'm going to get some scotchbrite type pads for my electric drill, along with the softcrub, and use a slower speed to scrub the tank beyond belief.
Believe me that sob is going to be white again
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #70039
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
When you break into the carb, be sure to check the condition of the two o-rings on the float assembly. They'll deteriorate with age and allow gas to leak thru. This might not be such an issue with a stock vacuum-operated tank but it'll get you in trouble in a hurry with a gravity-fed system like an IMS. Congrats on the bike!

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
Wow. Just wow. This thread is awesome.

I am the proud new owner of a DR650. I can see my job performance is going to suffer due to this very thread. I just got a 2005 DR650 with only 800 miles on the clock. The guy I got it from only rode it 100 miles in the year he owned it!?! How that happened is beyond me because I just rode it 100 miles over the weekend. No adult should be able to have this much fun getting to work!

Question - since this bike is older, and has low miles, is there any particular maintenance I should do? I am assuming that I will need to do the oil, filters, etc. I do not know if the bike had the 600 mile valve adjustment tune up. It seems to run well, but it is difficult to start at times and seems to bog-down a little bit at lower rpms. I am sure I can find this info inside, but jeebus, there's a to sort through.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #70040
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 110
Sta-Bil

Want to run Sta-Bil to keep things runnin good but I see they have this Marine Sta-Bil for 2 and 4 cycle motors....has any one had good luck with this newer stuff?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #70041
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Woah. That's a crazy skinny rear tire. Does it still have enough traction with that narrower profile?
Typically, as the contact patch decreases the contact pressure increases. As you lose floatation you often increase bite, or traction due to the smaller contact patch. I have more experience in offroad truck tires, but if you want to increase traction, you often need a narrower tire. There are trade offs and conditions can dictate what works in a given situation, but riding desert sand might favor a wider tire, where you need more floatation, and forest single track might favor a narrower tire, where the narrower tire has more traction.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #70042
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
Want to run Sta-Bil to keep things runnin good but I see they have this Marine Sta-Bil for 2 and 4 cycle motors....has any one had good luck with this newer stuff?

There are a myriad of opinions about additives, since you asked, this is mine. Reports a few years back were that the higher percentage of alcohol in fuel (and the water it attracted and held) was causing good old red Stabil to be less effective. I don't know what it's 'failings' were but I changed over to the green (Marine Formula) about 5 years ago and haven't had any problems. That said, it is entirely possible that had I not used anything the results 'could' have been the same. I put it in my boat whenever it will not be used for a while, I usually add it to my bikes when the weather gets cool (due right about now). I try not to mix additives since I have no idea if they will 'play nice together', I generally keep a can of SeaFoam near my gas can and add some of that every time I fill the can so my small engines never see 'untreated gas'. Probably either, both or none of them wouldn't change much but this works well for me and I am happy (maybe just because I 'think' that I am doing something for my engines). Despite all of that, I am leaning toward replacing both with Startron, based on reports from others who have done well. YMMV!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #70043
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
When you break into the carb, be sure to check the condition of the two o-rings on the float assembly. They'll deteriorate with age and allow gas to leak thru. This might not be such an issue with a stock vacuum-operated tank but it'll get you in trouble in a hurry with a gravity-fed system like an IMS.
Sound advice, except a distinction should be made between the two o-rings. The smaller one of the two is the cold start enrichment feed pipe o-ring, and the larger one is the float seat o-ring. Of course they're both important, but it's the latter of the two that pertains to the concern you raise. Also, it's just as much of an issue with a vacuum operated petcock. Sure, the vacuum operated petcock theoretically shuts the fuel off when the engine is not running. However, whether it's being opened via vacuum or manually, the petcock has to be open when the engine is running, and the bowl only overflowing when the engine is running is really no better than overflowing all the time.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #70044
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Tell you what, I'm going to devise quick release systems for the side panels, seat, and fuel tank. Even if I don't become a millionaire, I'm sure I'll save about 10,000 man hours per year.
With some practice and a few tricks you should be able to remove panels, tank and seat in less than 3 minutes, easy.

I have an IMS tank ... so only two bolts for that. I use my electric drill with socket to whip out the two bolts, rubber bumpers are glued in place, so they don't fall, get lost or waste time.

Removing stock tank may take more time ... dunno, been years since I had a DR with stock tank on.

I only ever have ONE bolt holding my Corbin seat. No need for two. Side panels out in less than a minute.

Pulling fuel hose just takes a second ... have a plug ready to avoid drips.

I've also re-routed my crankcase vent hose to allow easier access to Carb.
More direct flow, no smog systems in line, less crap in the way.
So far, so good!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #70045
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Screw it in snug, back it out 1-1/2 turns, ride. Some time ago (39,000 miles or so), I was browsing the internet and I kept seeing 1-1/2 turns. Sounded good to me. I've since bought the extended fuel screw and messed with it. I'm still at 1-1/2 turns, give or take. At my altitude (6000 +), I'm satisfied; although I've heard that riding a TM-40 or FCR will ruin me forever (or until I convert).

Yesterday, my baby turned 40.

205'd by motolab
One correction, I would NOT screw the fuel mixture screw in "Snug". It has a very sharp point on the tip which can be damaged from over tightening. Just screw in till it bottoms ... never force it, it will last a LOT longer this way and be more effective when fine tuning.

1.5 turns out works for me too at most altitudes. (I'm at sea level but ride frequently at altitude). When I'm up high I LEAN out the mix and go in a half turn or so on the Fuel mixture screw. Works a treat. At 12,000 PLUS ft. I got the DR idle to smooth out and starting recovered to normal ... and leaner settings save fuel!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #70046
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Excellent as usual Derek!
But I do this just a bit different ...
For me, the extended fuel screw is invaluable if you ride at mixed altitudes. I ride the Sierra a lot and have ridden the high passes in CO a couple times, Mexican Sierra Tarahumaru and more.

The convenience of the extended screw has saved me every time. If your bike is jetted Super Lean, then perhaps the Fuel Screw may not need much fiddling. But at 12,000 ft. my DR was rough idling, running at too low RPM and was hard to start.

A quick tweak to the fuel screw fixed all that. I went in from around 1.5 turns out, IN (lean) to about 1 turn or less. Smoothed right out, idle came up, but I raised it manually another few RPM's faster to where it felt right.
All this done on the trail. Only a minute or so to correct it. Without the extended screw getting to that inset stock screw can be tricky.

At Sea Level I run my mixture quite lean ... and actually go IN past fast idle peak, until bike begins to idle just a bit rough. That's where I leave it.
In super hot weather, riding in traffic, I richen it a bit. (turn OUT) In my experience running it a bit on the lean side helps my Fuel economy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Procedure for setting idle mixture:

Start the engine and warm it up. Lower the idle speed below the factory spec. Starting from a setting that is known to be lean (1-1/2 turns is likely but not guaranteed to be), adjust the fuel screw to obtain the highest idle speed. Adjust to 1/8 - 1/4 turn richer than that. Then, adjust the idle speed back to 1500 rpm.

Once you have the correct fuel screw setting, there should not be too many reasons to have to revisit very often. I'm therefore not a big proponent of extended fuel screws. If you intend to own carbureted motorcycles in the future, I recommend procuring an angle-drive screwdriver, which will be universally applicable.

Regards,

Derek
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #70047
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Excellent as usual Derek!
But I do this just a bit different ...
For me, the extended fuel screw is invaluable if you ride at mixed altitudes. I ride the Sierra a lot and have ridden the high passes in CO a couple times, Mexican Sierra Tarahumaru and more.

The convenience of the extended screw has saved me every time. If your bike is jetted Super Lean, then perhaps the Fuel Screw may not need much fiddling. But at 12,000 ft. my DR was rough idling, running at too low RPM and was hard to start.

A quick tweak to the fuel screw fixed all that. I went in from around 1.5 turns out, IN (lean) to about 1 turn or less. Smoothed right out, idle came up, but I raised it manually another few RPM's faster to where it felt right.
All this done on the trail. Only a minute or so to correct it. Without the extended screw getting to that inset stock screw can be tricky.

At Sea Level I run my mixture quite lean ... and actually go IN past fast idle peak, until bike begins to idle just a bit rough. That's where I leave it.
In super hot weather, riding in traffic, I richen it a bit. (turn OUT) In my experience running it a bit on the lean side helps my Fuel economy as well.
That makes a lot of sense! In the future I'll say that it shouldn't require much fiddling unless you will be riding in conditions where there are large changes in altitude.

I do have one more concern, and that is that the material an extended fuel screw is made of seems to be important. On other carbs I've seen galling and seizures when the extended fuel screw is made out of aluminum (that is a similar material as the body). I would therefore specifically look for one made out of stainless steel or brass, and I would put a dab of grease on the threads before installing.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 10:59 AM
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #70048
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
One correction, I would NOT screw the fuel mixture screw in "Snug". It has a very sharp point on the tip which can be damaged from over tightening. Just screw in till it bottoms ... never force it, it will last a LOT longer this way and be more effective when fine tuning.

I have a soft touch but now I can see an inmate going after the idle screw with an 18" pair of channel locks for their interpretation of 'snug'.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #70049
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Westley's Bleache White (tire/whitewall cleaner from Walmart) worked very well on a white tank I had. I soaked paper towels in the Westley's and left them draped on the tank overnight. Soak them again the next morning if you need to.

Sarah
Thanks for the info Sarah I almost bought some of that Bleache White when I was in Walmart the other day, but after reading the label it made me a little nervous that it might damage or streak the tank, and damage the paint and other stuff on my bike if I wasn't super careful.
Maybe I ought to pull the tank off so I can really soak it good...
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #70050
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
anyone ever noticed the grease seal on the inside of the speedo hub mount? suzuki doesnt list it as a separate part so i was wondering if anyone has found where you can buy one aftermarket. after 111 000km i think it only right by my girl that i replace for her.
I wanted to replace mine when I installed a new drive gear. It is an odd size and the only local bearing supplier was not able to find a replacement. So I filled it with grease and said she'll be right