Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
metareal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hyperpro springs front and back?

Hi All,

Since last month I am the proud owner of a 2010 800Gs! :)
I'm very happy with it, but like most of you I have issues with the stock suspension, especially the front fork.
I have read all the threads and come to the conclusion that the best solution for me, considering use and how much I would like to spend, would be to install the hyperpro prog. springs and oil kit.

I read here that most people have installed new springs both at the front and rear. This is also what hyperpro have suggested to me on the phone because according to them, if the rear spring is not installed together with the front kit the balance of the bike will not be optimal.
However a local suspension mechanic (where i will probably have the work done) has told me that it is almost pointless to install the progressive spring on the rear shock as the results are barely noticeable. In other words a waste of money...

Now this mechanic is a WP dealer, not hyperpro, so I would like to know from people that have the hyperpro kit installed, if they have done both front and back.
If so was there a noticiable difference at the back?

Has someone only installed the front kit and left the rear shock stock? How does that feel?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ed.
metareal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 831
I have installed the Hyperpro kit both front and rear, of course i am happy with the result but can not say what the difference would be if i would not have done the rear one.
One sre thing is the most benefits comes from the front but i must admit there is also an improvement in the comfort because fo the rear.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
metareal OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback!
Did you notice improvements when riding two-up as well?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,191
I had the HP kit front and rear - we ride 2-up off-road a lot and it made a bit of a difference. It did not really solve the issue though and there is no comparison to the AK-20 cartridge kit and the rear Elka I have now. No comparison. Save your $ and do it right when you are able to. For me the HP stuff ended up being a waste of money. just my 2 cents.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
metareal OP
Adventurer

Hey,
I don't think I will ever do 2-up off roading, but the si interesting!

Do these ak-20 cartridges require modifying the stock stanchions? Like drilling extra holes at the bottom or something like that?

Cheers
Ed
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
changed only the rear one.. and it's a significant difference.

I can compare to the NEW stock spring as well (now having my 4th rear spring -- 3 stock, 1x hyperpro).. and yep.. it's much better.

I cant stand the stock springs :( they wear too quickly... and even when new.. nothing special... IMHO.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by metareal View Post
Hey,
I don't think I will ever do 2-up off roading, but the si interesting!

Do these ak-20 cartridges require modifying the stock stanchions? Like drilling extra holes at the bottom or something like that?

Cheers
Ed
No. They come with custom fork caps (adjustable preload, compression, rebound). The cartridge install requires a special tool that they either sell you or you send the forks to them (which comes out to about the same $ amount).
The company is Traxxion.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
metareal OP
Adventurer

Thanks for that, I will see if they have distributors in Europe
Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
I wanted to lower my F800GS so I could reach the ground when I came to a stop. So i bought the Hyperpro 1" lowering kit. (Fork and shock springs.) The Hyperpro fork springs were much to soft. I would bottom the forks really bad on little stuff when riding off road, so I went a different route with the forks. I got a set of fork springs from Taxxion. They were 60kg. I beleive the Hyperpro were 44kg. I made new 22mm spacers and used 10w oil with a 80mm air gap. Much better. Still using the Hyperpro shock spring with as much perload as I can dial in but it's not as firm as the fork springs. The bike works ok off road but it's not a dirt bike, at least it isn't for me and my riding ability. If I am going dirt riding I take my KTM 450exc. Maybe in the future, when I have some money to spend, I will get a good shock set up.

LaPorte