User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
oil leak

my '11 990 Adventure R has developed an intermittent oil leak. I think I have it tracked down the the place where some wires go through the case below the countershaft sproket ( in fron of the shift shaft). I tried searching but couldn't find anything? Any help would be appreciated. It appears to be 2 allen head bolts that hold the piece in place so I am assuming an O ring or gasket needs replaced, just wondering how...

thanks
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally found it on the microfiche. it appears to be the gear position indicator O-ring? is it a simple repalcement or is there more to it than that??
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
This is from the Big Oil Leak thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post14483320

I just found I had a small Oil Leak from the Rear of the Engine and found it came from the Gear Position Sensor (Engine/ Shifting Mechanism #25, #26 per the microfiche '06 ADV) by the Red Arrow.

Hopefully the Formagasket used will do the job.

This worked for awhile, but ended up replacing the Switch (Oil was leaking through the Wires)... The New one is made different and seemingly better but DOES NOT Come with an O'Ring.

Good Luck with your fix...
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

is it connected to anything on the other side? or just take out the two bolts, slide it out and replace the O-ring? I'm pretty sure it is not leaking through the wires, but through the O-ring.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
is it connected to anything on the other side? or just take out the two bolts, slide it out and replace the O-ring? I'm pretty sure it is not leaking through the wires, but through the O-ring.
No, when you take it out, little Oil will weep out and the Back Side of this Sensor has Contacts that senses the Shifting Position.

You can bolster the the O'Ring with some Gasket material and or formagasket... it seems the Plastic(sensor at least the Older ones) tend to get out of shape against the face of the Engine.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

perfect, thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Watch your oil level...

This shift sensor o ring leak can be facilitated by over filling your oil sump. Also over filling will cause the balancer shaft seal to leak too. Be mindful of the finnicky oil checking procedures on these bikes, and that it's always better to have the oil level slightly lower on the stick then higher.

NEVER check the oil when bike is cold. ALWAYS run the bike to warmest operating temp then let sit for 2-5 mins after engine has been rev'd through.

AND ABSOLUTELY NEVER fill beyond the high mark on the oil dip stick. In fact, the mid point of the dipstick should be considered the high point. On 950's, in low gear, high rev situations... the bike will burn 3cl's per 500 miles and variations in levels should be monitored and replaced more frequently then later 990's.

It was mentioned by several KTM sources that crankshaft and crankshaft bearing designs were modified on the Adventures to help improve oil consumption on later models.

When checking the oil in these bikes, you need to make sure the oil is well heated and has the opportunity to pass back into the oil sump to measure the level. Thus the proceedure of running while hot and putting the engine through it's rev cycles.

The back pressure buildup of these motors is significant and is highly increased when completely full with oil.

Just a head's up.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
perfect, thanks!
I just did the o-ring replacement on mine. Second time for this little fix. I now keep extras of these o-rings in my little bag of tricks. Takes about two minutes, you will drip some oil out, but once re-installed wipe it all clean and you shouldn't have any more leaking from that spot. They seem to last about 20,000 miles or so. Replaced my first one around 19,000 miles, the second was replaced with 40,000 miles on the clock.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

THanks, I have an O-ring ordered so should be good in a few days. I did have my oil level a bit high so will keep a closer eye on that as well..

thanks again!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thanks Black Hills for posting this. This is the exact issue I just ran into
Grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Another important note on shift sensor... Do not over tighten the bolts. DO NOT use a powered socket wrench on install. The bolt threads are not deep here and have a tendency to strip out requiring heli-coiling. Torque to manufactors specs by hand here.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Black Hills OP
Beastly Adventurer

being impatient, specially when waiting or parts, I took it apart and inpected the o-ring. It looked fine (under magnifying glass) so I cleaned everything up and reinstalled it. Took it for a short ride to the car wash and then parked it in the garage. All is still dry this morning so I think it is fixed.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I just did the o-ring replacement on mine. Second time for this little fix. I now keep extras of these o-rings in my little bag of tricks. Takes about two minutes, you will drip some oil out, but once re-installed wipe it all clean and you shouldn't have any more leaking from that spot. They seem to last about 20,000 miles or so. Replaced my first one around 19,000 miles, the second was replaced with 40,000 miles on the clock.
I find the same thing. Keep a few in tool box if you stack up miles on these bikes.

I change mine once a season, just to be on the safe side. Easy and quick to do if you have the CJD side stand relocation bracket.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,337
Cool. Found it.
I'm having these issues on my '06 with just under 30,000 miles.
One of the pictures in the link to the oil leak thread shows the guy laying the bike on its right side so as to no lose much oil. How much oil would you lose if the bike is on the centerstand?
TIA
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

It does a small consistant drip.