ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #2551
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stifdickerson2006's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Coast,Ca
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
That's a sharp set up and perhaps the best tire combo for an extra set that I have seen. I have a pure street set on my extra wheels. Fun but not as dirt road friendly as yours.
Any custom holes in your fork protectors yet? My front is so wide I go without .



Stiff D - love the Jager stickers. Reminds me of this... ha


Not a big sticker guy (as you can see by my bike) so have never seen the Jager set - looks good!
Thanks for the compliment.My fork protecotrs did not fit either the frt tire is a 120, I just marked and cut out a oblonged hole where the tire hit. And bought another set of protectors for the dirt set up. I usually use graphics kits,but I had never seen this Jaeger sticker kit before and had to buy it from a dealer in Great Britain as it was one of the best looking kits I had seen. The fit was not great and I had to do some stretching and trimming to make it fit rite but it came out good. The bike is so much faster and handles better with it too. Glad I got some pictures of the bike before I destroy them. I try to only use stickers of products I use and Jaeger is definitely a product I use.

That trike is out of control. makes me thirsty(TGIF).

I like the black plastics. Are you using the acerbis 3 gallon tank? what kind of range do you get per tank?
__________________
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #2552
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Those are the Shinko 705's, they work great on the road and very good offroad (firebreaks,gravel roads) I've actually done some hill climbs that I did not think I was gonna make, but wanted to see what the tires could do and they pulled me up. Of course steep down hills are another story but capable with both feet out and some tricky brake work. The tires suprised me offroad, of course you cant bang berms and stuff but they work well for summer riding the streets and national forest routes. and the price is great, under $150.00 for a set. We just got our first rain so the knobbies are gonna be on here as soon as I get my bike back
thanks man, they sound like a winner to me!
^^not a big fan of the no fork guard look so thanks for the tip on notching them. gonna give it a shot.
__________________
2012 KTM 500 EXC
NON SEMPER ERIT AESTAS
www.motoex.net


Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #2553
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadChad View Post
thanks man, they sound like a winner to me!
^^not a big fan of the no fork guard look so thanks for the tip on notching them. gonna give it a shot.
If you want to keep those for your dirt wheels you can get a set of open back fork guards that fit properly for about $20 from a dealer... Just order 00-06 EXC/SX/SMR ones, available in black, white and orange.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2554
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you want to keep those for your dirt wheels you can get a set of open back fork guards that fit properly for about $20 from a dealer... Just order 00-06 EXC/SX/SMR ones, available in black, white and orange.
sweet i actually just got an extra set of open back cycra guards in the mail.
__________________
2012 KTM 500 EXC
NON SEMPER ERIT AESTAS
www.motoex.net


Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #2555
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post


I like the black plastics. Are you using the acerbis 3 gallon tank? what kind of range do you get per tank?
Nope, stock tank but like the idea of a little larger black tank. Not sure my rideing style necessitates more range. I am also a KTM traditionalist - black and orange all the way. To get rid of the white I wrapped the tank with black vinyl. Nothing fancy and under close inspection you can tell I'm no pro . Lot's of folks mistake it for a 400? Guessing that model came with a black tank?
__________________
Guns keep society safe.
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2556
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 416
Anybody had their in line fuel filter clog yet? Just curious I bought a couple spares to carry with me in case in does. I have about a 1000 miles on my '13 with no issues.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #2557
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
Tank Sizes

I just completed the White Rim Trail yesterday. From trailer and back was 104 miles. I must have used all of 1.5 gallons in my 3.4 gallon KTM tank. We were hammering on the trail as well. Fun and fast. I think the stock tank would do just fine for this ride. My 500 is getting 50~55 mpg off road with some happy times with the throttle and crazy antics where the jeeps get stuck.

No worries on the filter. I use the Golan and it has a very large filter surface and is 10 microns. I also have the KTM gas tank filter in the intake. The bike ran flawlessly and handled everything including being knocked seriously off line by rocks I just missed. Couldn't avoid them all. Part of the fun.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #2558
DirtToTar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Clackamas, Oregon
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I just completed the White Rim Trail yesterday. From trailer and back was 104 miles. I must have used all of 1.5 gallons in my 3.4 gallon KTM tank. We were hammering on the trail as well. Fun and fast. I think the stock tank would do just fine for this ride. My 500 is getting 50~55 mpg off road with some happy times with the throttle and crazy antics where the jeeps get stuck.
Stu
Went to Utah 2 weeks ago with a buddy. Both of us have '12 500exc's with stock tanks. Mine is desmogged, his is not. After a good ride in Green River area his checked out at 42mpg and mine at 48mpg. Another day we did a lot of jeep trail and pavement in Arches. His checked out at 49mpg and mine at 57mpg. When we rode White Rim Trail we didn't calculate gas mileage but we did each carry an extra 1 gallon of fuel. White Rim Trail with the stock tank and no extra fuel is probably doable but would be cutting it too close for my comfort level. Running out of fuel on the White Rim Trail would not be fun. We also rode a bit more than 104 miles since we did the extra couple miles each way to White Crack... well worth it.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #2559
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 108
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I just completed the White Rim Trail yesterday. From trailer and back was 104 miles. I must have used all of 1.5 gallons in my 3.4 gallon KTM tank. We were hammering on the trail as well. Fun and fast. I think the stock tank would do just fine for this ride. My 500 is getting 50~55 mpg off road with some happy times with the throttle and crazy antics where the jeeps get stuck.

No worries on the filter. I use the Golan and it has a very large filter surface and is 10 microns. I also have the KTM gas tank filter in the intake. The bike ran flawlessly and handled everything including being knocked seriously off line by rocks I just missed. Couldn't avoid them all. Part of the fun.

Stu
I have done that exact ride and it is fun. On my 525 EXC I hit reserve on my 3.5 gallon MCX tank. Very curious about how my 500 EXC would perform on that same ride. I have de-smogged. Is there anything else you believe contributed to your stellar gas mileage beyond FI and desmog?
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #2560
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Chris6_85's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Skagit County
Oddometer: 300
i just picked up a 2013 500 exc yesterday. i rode it around the shop a total of 15 mins at a time. let her cool down then rode another 15 mins and cool down. total 4 times = 1 hr. i completed the 1 hr oil change. and then the next day i went for some trail riding with the boys. right off the get go i knew i was going to be geared to high. but did not think it would be that bad. well it was a tough ride today, the bike just wanted to chug in first gear did not want to go slower than 10 miles an hr if i tried with out working the clutch she would just keel over and i would have to fire her up again. we rode a couple of hrs and besides having to work the clutch a lot more then i am use to i had a blast. i went from a 230L to this 500 and i got lots of learning to do. even though i rode my 230L like a raped ape with over 4000 miles of mostly single track trail on bike. im not a total newbie to trail riding. so being that i come from a 230L to this 500 i am trying to learn and understand the characteristics of this new bike. the bike has a lot more engine clunking noise then my 230L and kinda makes me paranoid.
i think maybe more because i just spent what it feels like my lifes savings on this bike. how ever the clunking noise quites down alot after pulling in the clutch. which i never herd on my 230l anyone know of what that might be? i herd it more today after i cleaned her up after a ride and put her away. any suggestions?

thanks chris
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #2561
soutahduner
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85 View Post
i just picked up a 2013 500 exc yesterday. i rode it around the shop a total of 15 mins at a time. let her cool down then rode another 15 mins and cool down. total 4 times = 1 hr. i completed the 1 hr oil change. and then the next day i went for some trail riding with the boys. right off the get go i knew i was going to be geared to high. but did not think it would be that bad. well it was a tough ride today, the bike just wanted to chug in first gear did not want to go slower than 10 miles an hr if i tried with out working the clutch she would just keel over and i would have to fire her up again. we rode a couple of hrs and besides having to work the clutch a lot more then i am use to i had a blast. i went from a 230L to this 500 and i got lots of learning to do. even though i rode my 230L like a raped ape with over 4000 miles of mostly single track trail on bike. im not a total newbie to trail riding. so being that i come from a 230L to this 500 i am trying to learn and understand the characteristics of this new bike. the bike has a lot more engine clunking noise then my 230L and kinda makes me paranoid.
i think maybe more because i just spent what it feels like my lifes savings on this bike. how ever the clunking noise quites down alot after pulling in the clutch. which i never herd on my 230l anyone know of what that might be? i herd it more today after i cleaned her up after a ride and put her away. any suggestions?

thanks chris
I was concerned with the rattle noise too, I did a lot of research and talked to my dealer and everyone says it it normal. lots of people say it is the straight cut gears from the crank to the clutch basket. but I am more inclined to think it is just gear noise in the trans, It is a 6 speed after all and that is a lot of straight cut gears in there that only spin when clutch is out. I have 700 miles on my '13 and no increase or decrease in noise. my only complaints about this bike is the rattle noise and seemingly long break-in. It still smokes a little...I changed oil at 6 hrs and put some synthetic castrol power rs 10 w 50 in and it smoked bad. So I put in honda gn4 10w40 for more break in for a while.
soutahduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #2562
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by soutahduner View Post
I was concerned with the rattle noise too, I did a lot of research and talked to my dealer and everyone says it it normal. lots of people say it is the straight cut gears from the crank to the clutch basket. but I am more inclined to think it is just gear noise in the trans, It is a 6 speed after all and that is a lot of straight cut gears in there that only spin when clutch is out. I have 700 miles on my '13 and no increase or decrease in noise. my only complaints about this bike is the rattle noise and seemingly long break-in. It still smokes a little...I changed oil at 6 hrs and put some synthetic castrol power rs 10 w 50 in and it smoked bad. So I put in honda gn4 10w40 for more break in for a while.
Mine use to smoke before I de smogged it. It was getting fuel into the crank case some how. De smogging was the best thing I did to that bike, I'm at 1000 miles with no other problems. As for all the noise mine does it too, seems louder then it shoud be.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #2563
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....
 
KrustyKustom's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Desert-away from people...
Oddometer: 631
What the heck size bolt is the Secondary Air Supply port?! Harcus on here said M12x1.75 (did not fit my 13 model), another said M12x1.25 which did not work. OEM bolt is on back order til November.

Doing a full tear down at my 1 hour maintenance for wiring detailing and all bearing greasing..good thing cause there was not much more grease than a vapor.




Not much on the screens at 1 hour
__________________
Krusty Kustom,
Houston Texas
2013 KTM 500exc
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #2564
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I have done that exact ride and it is fun. On my 525 EXC I hit reserve on my 3.5 gallon MCX tank. Very curious about how my 500 EXC would perform on that same ride. I have de-smogged. Is there anything else you believe contributed to your stellar gas mileage beyond FI and desmog?
First, KrustyKustom:

The drain plug fit right in my SAS port. I just dremmeled off the magnet and stuck it in with a drain copper sealing washer. The other inlet on the manifold I solved with a button head, 4mm hex, screw from the hardware store. I got one that was the same length as the spigot that came out. I used a copper washer from the 525 valve cover screw to seal it. Worked like a charm.

Avconnect:

Desmogged. I installed the US ... 0701 code in the ECU for better performance and to adapt to my Akrapovic slip on muffler. I geared 15/50. I run in mid range, NOT top end. That got the mileage. For woods riding I run 15/52 but the 50 on the rear worked perfectly on the White Rim Trail. This new 500 is phenomenal.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #2565
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85 View Post
i just picked up a 2013 500 exc yesterday. i rode it around the shop a total of 15 mins at a time. let her cool down then rode another 15 mins and cool down. total 4 times = 1 hr. i completed the 1 hr oil change. and then the next day i went for some trail riding with the boys. right off the get go i knew i was going to be geared to high. but did not think it would be that bad. well it was a tough ride today, the bike just wanted to chug in first gear did not want to go slower than 10 miles an hr if i tried with out working the clutch she would just keel over and i would have to fire her up again. we rode a couple of hrs and besides having to work the clutch a lot more then i am use to i had a blast. i went from a 230L to this 500 and i got lots of learning to do. even though i rode my 230L like a raped ape with over 4000 miles of mostly single track trail on bike. im not a total newbie to trail riding. so being that i come from a 230L to this 500 i am trying to learn and understand the characteristics of this new bike. the bike has a lot more engine clunking noise then my 230L and kinda makes me paranoid.
i think maybe more because i just spent what it feels like my lifes savings on this bike. how ever the clunking noise quites down alot after pulling in the clutch. which i never herd on my 230l anyone know of what that might be? i herd it more today after i cleaned her up after a ride and put her away. any suggestions?

thanks chris
Its the clutch. 160 hrs later it still makes the same noise.
It took 50 hours before the bike was broken in.
Ride for at least 10 hours before you make any suspension changes.
Bike works better desmogged.
Did the dealer give you a bag with a bunch of bolts in it? They are for plugging off the smog equipment and fixing the suicide kickstand. Search the earlier posts in this thread for details.(page 17)
One more thing, If your bike is idling erratic check and clean the filter in the Quick disconnect. That's the first sign that its plugging up.(personal experience)

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 11:39 PM Reason: add comment
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014