ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Marta&Rita's pre-ride from Switzerland to Spain

Little break for breakfast - decided to build a bit more on the RR

Last Saturday Rita and I did our pre-ride from Switzerland to Spain.

We went from our home town in Switzerland (Basel) to Roses (north east of Spain, nice town by the sea). Roses is not my home town (pretty close though), but my parents were spending the weekend there and wanted to give them a surprise.

My initial plan was to leave Friday, sleep somewhere in the middle of France, and arrive home on Saturday. Being able this way to take some back roads for the trip and enjoy the ride.

But things started getting complicated at work Thursday evening, and finally had to work all Friday to do some fire fighting. Was really disappointed. Rita was disappointed too... That left only Saturday to do the 900Km ride, so no way we could take any back roads. Had to jump straight into the motorway (ugh!).

Left Basel on Saturday morning, around 8.30 AM (I'm not an early bird) and got to Roses at around 6.30 PM. 10hours for 900km. Average 90 km/h. Not that bad! Know can be done quicker, but don't like to squeeze Rita on the motorway and... my butt needs some rest from time to time (the low seat is pretty hard!!!!)


Route we did was the following (just to give you an idea):
  • Basel
  • Bern
  • Lausanne
  • Geneva
  • Swiss-French Border
  • Grenoble
  • Valence
  • Montelimar
  • Nimes
  • Montpellier
  • Narbonne
  • Perpignan
  • French-Spanish Border
  • Roses
And this is how it looks like on the map: STRAIGHT!




One of the easiest Switzerland-Spain rides I've ever done.
No rain. No cold. No heat. No wind (can be a pain in the south of France). No ice/snow. Very fluid traffic. Almost no roadworks.
Totally uneventful and pleasant ride.
Which is fine when you have to do lots of Km in one day, but doesn't help much when you want to write a RR
Now what do I tell you???

Well, got there Saturday evening and parents were very happy to see me.
We spend rest of Saturday and Sunday together (great lunch on Sunday!) and we went back to our home town (real one this time) Monday early morning (just on time for mum to go to work in the afternoon - dad is retired and doesn't have to worry about working ).

Spent Monday afternoon working from home (love this flexibility I'm allowed!) and Tuesday morning took the plane back to Switzerland. And have been working like crazy since then... Just realizing now that in less than 24h I'll be landing in Barcelona, almost ready to start my holidays!
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
silverboy66
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 18
great rita!!!
silverboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Navel
Omphaloskeptical
 
Navel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Galicia, Spain. Exiled in Madrid.
Oddometer: 152
Cool2 Waypoint E

Hi Marta,

I live between E and F on your planned route, contact me if you need any help -advice?- around there. By the way, a nice place very near your waypoint E: http://www.hotelsemaforodebares.com/en/, the gardens around the hotel have free access, with an amazing view of the Ria do Barqueiro and the point where the Cantabric sea meets the Atlantic ocean. The hotel has a wonderful terrace but not sure it will be open in October.

Thumbs up for your ride!
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
Hi Marta,

I live between E and F on your planned route, contact me if you need any help -advice?- around there. By the way, a nice place very near your waypoint E: http://www.hotelsemaforodebares.com/en/, the gardens around the hotel have free access, with an amazing view of the Ria do Barqueiro and the point where the Cantabric sea meets the Atlantic ocean. The hotel has a wonderful terrace but not sure it will be open in October.

Thumbs up for your ride!
Thanks Navel, will take good note of your offer!
Checked the hotel and looks beautiful, like quiet places like this one.
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
Hello!

If you need any help for your plans of Portugal, I can try to help as best as I can, I'm curently studying in Lisbon (though I'll only be in Lisbon after the 20th of January) and I have travelled up and down Portugal a couple of times
Thanks Dust!
It's very likely that I contact you, never been in Portugal before and any recommendations will be welcome.
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurro View Post
Hola Marta, en el sur me tienes, para lo que necesites.

Que disfrutes de tu viaje.

Thank you so much for another kind help offer, this one on the south.
You guys rock!
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Around Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 304
Hi Marta, long before you were born, 1960, I was in Spain, while in the US Navy. Wonderful country. I had a great time back then. I even included some Spain adventure in my book. Way back then, I remember the local people spoke with an added accent, such as, Barcelona would be pronounced Barthelona. Some said, in empathy with the King at that time.
Have you ever heard that?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Daddy D's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: under the sea
Oddometer: 265
Hi Marta,

So jealous of your trip! But I've been down to the south of Spain myself this summer.

You should really try to incorperate the Sierra Nevada, the route to Pampaneira and Trevélez, and the route from Velefique to Bacares. The roads to and from those places are spectacular too.

Here's a picture from the Alto de Velefique. We drove up this road from Velefique. In Bacaras is a great hotel btw. Can't miss it.



Looking forward to reading more!

Enjoy your trip!

Daniel
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Daddy D's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: under the sea
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
Hi Marta, long before you were born, 1960, I was in Spain, while in the US Navy. Wonderful country. I had a great time back then. I even included some Spain adventure in my book. Way back then, I remember the local people spoke with an added accent, such as, Barcelona would be pronounced Barthelona. Some said, in empathy with the King at that time.
Have you ever heard that?
Spain has many dialects. And what you say is true. Barthelona... Cerbetha...
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
CENTI
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cebu
Oddometer: 9
more pictures please!!!!
__________________
my bike is not leaking oil, it is marking its territory....
CENTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Paddygfw
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Newfoundland
Oddometer: 75
Looking forward to your RR
Have a great and safe trip
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
Hi Marta, long before you were born, 1960, I was in Spain, while in the US Navy. Wonderful country. I had a great time back then. I even included some Spain adventure in my book. Way back then, I remember the local people spoke with an added accent, such as, Barcelona would be pronounced Barthelona. Some said, in empathy with the King at that time.
Have you ever heard that?

Hi Younz, what you say and what Big Daddy D confirms is right.

Spain has quite a few dialects. One of the most special ones (for me) is the one spoken in Andalusia (south of Spain). They speak very fast, eat half of the words and also have some 'picturesque' words of their own . Know it well, my grandparents from mum's side are from Andalusia (but after Spanish Civil war they emigrated to Catalonia where they live now).

But not only dialects. In Spain there are also other official languages in addition to Spanish. The most widely spoken are:

Galician (spoken in Galicia)
Euskera (spoken in Euskadi - Basque country - and Navarre)
Catalan (spoken in Catalonia, Balearic Islands and Valencia - well, some people from Valencia even claim that the language they speak is different from Catalan, they call it Valencian).

And there are even some other languages that are not official. A couple of examples:

Aragones ( spoken in some valleys of the Pyrenees)
Asturleones (spoken in Asturias and Leon)

It's a really interesting topic!
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy D View Post
Hi Marta,

So jealous of your trip! But I've been down to the south of Spain myself this summer.

You should really try to incorperate the Sierra Nevada, the route to Pampaneira and Trevélez, and the route from Velefique to Bacares. The roads to and from those places are spectacular too.

Here's a picture from the Alto de Velefique. We drove up this road from Velefique. In Bacaras is a great hotel btw. Can't miss it.

Looking forward to reading more!

Enjoy your trip!

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, taken good note of it!
Love the pic you've posted!
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Around Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta-GS View Post
Hi Younz, what you say and what Big Daddy D confirms is right.

Spain has quite a few dialects. One of the most special ones (for me) is the one spoken in Andalusia (south of Spain). They speak very fast, eat half of the words and also have some 'picturesque' words of their own . Know it well, my grandparents from mum's side are from Andalusia (but after Spanish Civil war they emigrated to Catalonia where they live now).

But not only dialects. In Spain there are also other official languages in addition to Spanish. The most widely spoken are:

Galician (spoken in Galicia)
Euskera (spoken in Euskadi - Basque country - and Navarre)
Catalan (spoken in Catalonia, Balearic Islands and Valencia - well, some people from Valencia even claim that the language they speak is different from Catalan, they call it Valencian).

And there are even some other languages that are not official. A couple of examples:

Aragones ( spoken in some valleys of the Pyrenees)
Astur Leones (spoken in Asturias and Leon)

It's a really interesting topic!
But surely, if you are a Spaniard, I assume you can communicate effectively anywhere in the country?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world
 
Marta-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland/Spain
Oddometer: 149
Great weekend at home!

Sunday night, about to go to bed... Tired but happy.

Great weekend at home!

Saturday took plane to Barcelona as scheduled, had great lunch with family and visited uncle & aunt. Relaxing eve with parents at home.
Today, Sunday, have driven to sea and spent day there diving. Great fun! The more I dive, the more I love it! Bit of traffic on way back, so got home late, just had dinner!
Enjoyed every minute of the weeken!
And didn't want to spoil it, so haven't worked at all.

But this means... I still have to finish all my pending tasks... And really have to before leaving (not taking with me laptop & smartphone from work - really want to do hols!).

So just decided I will stay at home tomorrow morning to make sure I finish all this working stuff. Then have to pack all my stuff in Rita. Not quite sure at what time will be leaving... And wouldn't surprise me that I end up leaving Tuesday instead of Monday...

Will keep you posted!
__________________
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014