User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
rjsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Can't set the bead on my tire....

I just swapped out the rear tire on my DRZ400 and when I put the tire on the bike I noticed that the bead isn't set all the way around. I tried beating it with a sledge hammer, wrapping a cord around the circumference and tightening it like a tourniquet to know avail.

This is a tube tire by the way...

Do I have to take the tire and wheel off the bike and start all over?

Any tricks would be helpful.

Time to take a break and take the dog to the beach

Ron W.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I just swapped out the rear tire on my DRZ400 and when I put the tire on the bike I noticed that the bead isn't set all the way around. I tried beating it with a sledge hammer, wrapping a cord around the circumference and tightening it like a tourniquet to know avail.

This is a tube tire by the way...

Do I have to take the tire and wheel off the bike and start all over?

Any tricks would be helpful.

Time to take a break and take the dog to the beach

Ron W.
you might be able to spray soapy water on the tire and use more psi in the tires to pop the bead then let the air out to the recomended psi.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I had that problem with the front tire on my DRZ (Scorpion XCMH). Soapy water and all the pressure my compressor could give (100psi) and a few hours and it had taken a seat. The rear jumped right on, though (Trakmaster).
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by bae984 View Post
I had that problem with the front tire on my DRZ (Scorpion XCMH). Soapy water and all the pressure my compressor could give (100psi) and a few hours and it had taken a seat. The rear jumped right on, though (Trakmaster).
Really?... at least have the decency to tell the OP that a frag blanket is a necessary part of your idea...

Speaking of the OP: most tire seating issues go away if you use bead-lube. Soapy water helps, but the slimy snot that's made for this task makes life a lot easier.

Most of my tires pop into place at ~25 psi. The really uncoopertive ones pop into place at 60 psi, max.

I use a bicycle pump.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Go out to the auto parts store and pick up one of those stubby brass inflation nozzles. Extract the valve bits and throw them away, they're not needed here. Remove the valve core from your tube, plug the modified inflation nozzle into your air hose (you're gonna lose lots of air) and stuff that on the valve stem. Airflow without the two bits of valve hardware is far greater than it is with. What you're after is rapid inflation, this tool has worked for me the first time, every time on dozens of tires.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Break the bead again and LUBE. Lotsa lube. I've used straight Dawn dish soap before, but just bought a jug of Ruglyde at NAPA for about $9. Works incredible.
Set the bike in the sun to soften the tire, mop some lube on the rim and tire and dont be shy about PSI. Look at the tire bead profile and the shape of the rim, you'll see where you want to 'help' the tire slip over the bumps. My 17" SM takes 80 psi sometimes.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I use maxima chain wax. A really difficult bead will set around 60-80psi max.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
I hold the wheel with both hands so the stuck area of the bead is touching the floor.

Then I pick it up and strike it on the floor in such a way it pulls the corner of the tread to pull the sidewall away from the rim. It will pop right into place after a few blows.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,559
I like dish soap as I know it will dry up and be tacky. I don't want to take any chances of a tire slipping on the rim and rotating causing a ripped out valve stem. I have no knowledge of these tire lubes etc. so i don't know what they do.

But let the air out of the tube, squirk the rim tire area with soapy water and air it up until it pops into place, I've gone as high as 70 psi. Just don't forget to let the air back down to riding pressure.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
I like dish soap as I know it will dry up and be tacky. I don't want to take any chances of a tire slipping on the rim and rotating causing a ripped out valve stem. I have no knowledge of these tire lubes etc. so i don't know what they do.

But let the air out of the tube, squirk the rim tire area with soapy water and air it up until it pops into place, I've gone as high as 70 psi. Just don't forget to let the air back down to riding pressure.
I use a mix of Thompson Oil Soap, dish soap and water.

Which is where my tool is brilliant - without a valve core, the tube deflates near instantly when you remove the air.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
rjsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OP back, looks like I'll take the tire/wheel off tomorrow and try re-lubing.

thanks for all the advice.

Ron W.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
rjsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
OP back, looks like I'll take the tire/wheel off tomorrow and try re-lubing.

thanks for all the advice.

Ron W.

OP back again 2x....

Couldn't wait till tomorrow went downstairs and really flooded the stuck bead with some Dawn dish washing liquid then pumped it up to 75 psi and bam both sides popped out and I'm good to go. Looking forward to a nice ride tomorrow on my new Pilot Road 3 rear.

Not bad, 5 hours to change one tire, can't imagine doing it on the side of the road

Thanks all for the help.

Ron W.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,559
Quote:

Not bad, 5 hours to change one tire, can't imagine doing it on the side of the road

Thanks all for the help.

Ron W.
just get it wet any way you can and pump till she pops!

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Go out to the auto parts store and pick up one of those stubby brass inflation nozzles. Extract the valve bits and throw them away, they're not needed here. Remove the valve core from your tube, plug the modified inflation nozzle into your air hose (you're gonna lose lots of air) and stuff that on the valve stem. Airflow without the two bits of valve hardware is far greater than it is with. What you're after is rapid inflation, this tool has worked for me the first time, every time on dozens of tires.
you think thats gonna help with a tube in there? Thats what we use to seat a tubeless tire but I don't know if cramming the air in faster is going to help when inflating a tube.

Put more baby power to talcum powerder or whatever you're using in there, so the tube will slip in the tire easier and hopefully push the tread out instead of the sidewalls out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
EZman671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Twilight Error has it correct. ---- This works!
EZman671 is offline   Reply With Quote