User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #31021
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Easton DS

Here's a shameless pic of my WR250R after the Easton Dual Sport (WA) a couple of weeks ago. Running 12/47 sprockets for the last 3 years.... very little wear on the slider.

gas_pig70 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 11:59 PM
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #31022
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,743
count me in

i joined the WR club last week!

not sure why i bought it. i already have (and love) a bmw x-challenge. the WR was listed in the flea market, and the planets were all aligned. decent deal, low miles, etc. started it's life as an X, was converted to an R.

when i picked it up i rode it for two hours to get it home. put on a rain suit and jumped back on it for more riding:

so far i am very pleased.

only disappointments were when the fuel light went on three miles from the sellers house, and when i started to do an oil change and realized the drain plug was stripped (the head of the bolt, not the threads).
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #31023
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Best clutch levr for the money IMO...Righteous Stunt metal EZ pull clutch lever....
cool clutch. what are using on the front brake? is there such a thing as an easy pull brake or does that defeat the purpose of feeling the brake?
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #31024
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post

Nice Photo UCB!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #31025
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Hey, it's like an awesomer version of this picture of mine:
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #31026
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCR View Post
Thanks Bob I will try that in the mean time im just plugging the hoses with some bolts. Take it easy.
Just an fyi - if you plug the vent line the bike won't run very long
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #31027
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #31028
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
You can run that one up anywhere high. Preferably, somewhere that won't get any water or dirt in it.
The nice thing about it is that it should have a rollover valve on the tank side so if your bike takes a dirt nap, you won't get gas dumping out the vent. My XT350 is a CA model and I have tested that rollover valve many times. works great.
It's on there to prevent filling the canister up with gas. I prefer the rollover valve to a vented cap. I've never enjoyed gas on my leg or crotch, but to each his own.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #31029
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
You can run that one up anywhere high. Preferably, somewhere that won't get any water or dirt in it.
The nice thing about it is that it should have a rollover valve on the tank side so if your bike takes a dirt nap, you won't get gas dumping out the vent. My XT350 is a CA model and I have tested that rollover valve many times. works great.
It's on there to prevent filling the canister up with gas. I prefer the rollover valve to a vented cap. I've never enjoyed gas on my leg or crotch, but to each his own.
.......... I don't think leaving that vent "up high" would be prudent. Mine drips fuel most any time I fill the tank good and full. I think what the previous post meant was if he plugs the line it will pull a vacuum in the tank as the level goes down causing the bike to stall.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #31030
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Hi. Great thread!

I am going to be in the market to buying a dirt bike strictly dirt and am seeing the higher popularity between them Suzuki dr350 and your Yamaha wr250 can anyone point to me to the black and white comparison of the two? (incl price points). Thanks
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #31031
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
Hi. Great thread!

I am going to be in the market to buying a dirt bike strictly dirt and am seeing the higher popularity between them Suzuki dr350 and your Yamaha wr250 can anyone point to me to the black and white comparison of the two? (incl price points). Thanks
If you want strictly a dirt bike, don't buy the WR250R. It is a dual sport. The DR350 off road model is a great bike even though it is a little on the old side. They were modified into motocross bikes BEFORE the advent of factory 4stroke motocross bikes.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #31032
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
"... It is a dual sport. ...."

Not the WR250F. Me thinks Luke asked the right question in the wrong place.

DragonNester screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 01:54 PM
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #31033
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
.......... I don't think leaving that vent "up high" would be prudent. Mine drips fuel most any time I fill the tank good and full. I think what the previous post meant was if he plugs the line it will pull a vacuum in the tank as the level goes down causing the bike to stall.
By high up, I mean away from dust and water. Depending on where they put the bung in the tank, you may not be able to fill it to the brim. It'll leak with the canister on or off, the only difference is that with the canister on, the gas evaporates inside the canister and the vapor gets sucked into the throttle body.
You don't want to run it down low by the shock like carb vents are but also not to somewhere that gas will leak onto something hot, or your leg if you have a very full tank and the gas gets hot and needs a place to expand.

Yes, if you plug the line, your tank will have a vacuum and cause problems.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #31034
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Would it work to put one of those one way valve tubes on the vent tube of the tank. I realize that it would be down low and have gas on it some of the time but it should be able to let air in and keep the gas from dripping out.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #31035
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
I bought a KLR650 as my first bike back in 2008 and have put 28,000 miles on it since. When riding to ride the KLR (not commute, etc.), I ride minimal pavement but also minimal single-track super gnar, of course. I picked up a plated WR450f about 2 years ago and have learned to also love true dirt bike riding.

In all this, I've realized I actually prefer higher speed dual sport riding (jeep trails and flowing dirt bike/ATV trails) over relatively slower speed technical trail riding. I don't have issues with the technical aspects of trail riding but I think the distance and speed aspects are what make the difference for me. Don't get me wrong, I still hit some ATV trails on my KLR and certainly spend at least 75% of my WR riding time on true OHV trails as well. My preferences simply lie in dual sporting, not riding a plated dirt bike. But of course, I do enjoy a light, nimble-handling steed.

So if I wanted a bulletproof ultra-low maintenance dual sport that was a compromise between my KLR650 and my WR450, would looking towards the WR250R suit my riding preferences above? I'm mainly looking to use a WR250R as a dual sport and trail riding rig, relegating the KLR650 to commuting and ADV-touring duty, and then selling my WR450. Only the bad me needs that 450 performance
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote