User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #10291
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Storage Zihuatenjo?

So I have asked this question about PV and got some great input back.

I have the time and can make fights work in and out of Zihuatenjo. Is it reasonable to think I could find good safe storage for 3 weeks in Zihuatenjo? I have only driven thru there once and I don't know anything about the town.

It would be great if it worked!! I'd much rather spend time on each end in Zihuatenjo than PV.

Thanks for any info you guys have
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #10292
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Steve, that mansion in Xalapa. Let's see. A moat on one side and a huge wall on the other side. Bet I know who's building that!
I don't know who, but I bet I can guess the source of the funds!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #10293
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,421
Coffee.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #10294
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
If it was rainwater I would be friggin millionaire these days!

Steve, I am going to give La Esperanza another shot tomorrow AM early. Weather says "no rain" which is likely a bit drier than the "trace amounts" we encountered today. LOL!
Should be interesting.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #10295
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
Hey Craneguy,
I have a Q 4 u. Years ago I did a ride from DF to Acapulco via the (then new) autopista Del Sol. I did stop in Cuernavaca (used it as a base), visited Tepoztlan, Taxco and finally got to Aca. My Q is: I would like to do it again but....is it safe? My plan is to rent a GSA and take my wife with me. I am fluent in Spanish and know the roads very well. My worries are military "reten" and touring around say Tepoztlan's back roads and be ambushed just like the Embassy car was in Tres Marias.
Any input highly appreciated. I am plying with the idea of doing it this December, taking 2 weeks to explore.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #10296
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Hey Craneguy,
I have a Q 4 u. Years ago I did a ride from DF to Acapulco via the (then new) autopista Del Sol. I did stop in Cuernavaca (used it as a base), visited Tepoztlan, Taxco and finally got to Aca. My Q is: I would like to do it again but....is it safe? My plan is to rent a GSA and take my wife with me. I am fluent in Spanish and know the roads very well. My worries are military "reten" and touring around say Tepoztlan's back roads and be ambushed just like the Embassy car was in Tres Marias.
Any input highly appreciated. I am plying with the idea of doing it this December, taking 2 weeks to explore.
Thanks
I can't anticipate future events, but we ride the area all the time and have never seen anything to worry us. Traffic to Tepozlan is bad at the weekends as it's a hugely popular place now. There are no checkpoints and I have yet to see a cop.

I actually didn't know about the embassy car in Tres Marías... The only thing you have to worry about there are MC parts and clothing vendors who won't haggle and stunting squids.

Get in touch when you get here and we'll show you some routes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #10297
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If it was rainwater I would be friggin millionaire these days!

Steve, I am going to give La Esperanza another shot tomorrow AM early. Weather says "no rain" which is likely a bit drier than the "trace amounts" we encountered today. LOL!
Should be interesting.
I'm up for it!

Everyone, we need to convince MikeMike that buying waterproofs is a better policy than "drip-dry"

I'm starting a collection: it's called the "damp crotch fund"
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #10298
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Quote:
Hey Craneguy,
Thanks

Unless you are involved in the drug business or you are a high placed employee of the Mexican or U.S. Government, you don't have much to worry about other than livestock and pot holes and poorly marked construction sites. Don't worry about having a good time ;because you will.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #10299
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I can't anticipate future events, but we ride the area all the time and have never seen anything to worry us. Traffic to Tepozlan is bad at the weekends as it's a hugely popular place now. There are no checkpoints and I have yet to see a cop.

I actually didn't know about the embassy car in Tres Marías... The only thing you have to worry about there are MC parts and clothing vendors who won't haggle and stunting squids.

Get in touch when you get here and we'll show you some routes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Gracias hermano. I will take you offer and contact you if I do go ahead and fly/ride. Story on the Embassy car (I'm a green badger ex Special Warefare op). Embassy cars are GM black, this one was a Toyota Gold Landcruiser. Picked up an admiral or captain I believe from the base (Ejercito base entrance to cuota) in Mex City on 95 to Cuernavaca. They got to 3Marias and exited on a side road going NE.a reten noticed and gave pursuit. On the dirt road they got reached and the Army opened up. The only reason they were saved (bulletproof car) was that the Mexican captain had a radio and he echoed that he was taking fire. Yes, they got ID confused. Reten thought they were trying to avoid them. Big mistake and very quick (read nervouse) triggers. I like to stay away from that.
Cheers
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #10300
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I thought it was Federales that shot, and that is why some of them are stll locked up here.
Mexican government admitted it wasnt a mistake.

Steve, you still got time tomorrow for another try? Or shall we do it with Doug sometime
later?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #10301
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I'm up for it!

Everyone, we need to convince MikeMike that buying waterproofs is a better policy than "drip-dry"

I'm starting a collection: it's called the "damp crotch fund"
Here's my donation to the MikeMike damp crotch fund

l
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #10302
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Had to call Jacques to make sure he was ok with you using this reference
fixt

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #10303
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Gracias hermano. I will take you offer and contact you if I do go ahead and fly/ride. Story on the Embassy car (I'm a green badger ex Special Warefare op). Embassy cars are GM black, this one was a Toyota Gold Landcruiser. Picked up an admiral or captain I believe from the base (Ejercito base entrance to cuota) in Mex City on 95 to Cuernavaca. They got to 3Marias and exited on a side road going NE.a reten noticed and gave pursuit. On the dirt road they got reached and the Army opened up. The only reason they were saved (bulletproof car) was that the Mexican captain had a radio and he echoed that he was taking fire. Yes, they got ID confused. Reten thought they were trying to avoid them. Big mistake and very quick (read nervouse) triggers. I like to stay away from that.
Cheers
Here's the link that shows a gray Toyota (used by embassy people and not just DEA) and it was Mexican Federal police and not "the army".
And no, it wasn't a case of confused ID.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...6b2_story.html

Hey Bob Loblaw, I think she's the poster girl for that Salt Spring ride video! You've got some real hardcore riders up there.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #10304
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Note to Andres, plan the next rally in November! Tlaloc is usually sleeping then.
Steve, the way back was fun, they delayed flights and rerouted some planes, that's how intense it was.
See you in a couple of hours, we'll make it this time.
The password is "Give me La Esperanza, or give me a dry crotch". LOL!
Los retachan!

13 Octubre, 2012 07:22:00

Por el mal tiempo imperante en el Golfo de México, que afecto la visibilidad por intensa lluvia en el aeropuerto internacional ´General Heriberto Jara Corona´, de Veracruz, Ver., cuatro vuelos fueron desviados a terminales alternas y otros dos retrasados en su despegue, confirmo la Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil de la SCT.
Por ANTONIO MARIN
Reportero de NOTIVER
Los pasajeros resultaron afectados por las inclemencias del tiempo, ya que su vuelo correspondiente a la línea Viva Aerobús y Aeroméxico procedentes de Monterrey y la Ciudad de México, fueron desviados a la terminal de Villa Hermosa, Tab., donde permanecieron hasta que mejoro la visibilidad en la terminal local.

El síntesis el atraso fue de aproximadamente de dos horas, debido a la lluvia que azoto con rudeza en la demarcación del aeródromo lo cual perjudicaba las condiciones de seguridad para los aterrizajes y despegues clorrespondientemente.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #10305
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=MikeMike;19813579]Here's the link that shows a gray Toyota (used by embassy people and not just DEA) and it was Mexican Federal police and not "the army".
And no, it wasn't a case of confused ID.

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/ap-exclusive-official-says-organized-crime-possible-in-attack-on-cia-officers-in-mexico/2012/10/02/c07d0df2-0ccc-11e2-97a7-45c05ef136b2_story.html[/

Hey thanks for the clarification! I feel much better now knowing that it was Federales bullets and not Army! What a relief, those hurt way less plus have a number of bullet fired to kill ratio way lower than the Army's! Oh yeah, good to know the car was grey not gold too. That makes a big difference, never mind that the Embassy only uses GM and black as standard. but you are right MikeMike I should not have posted w/o knowing all the facts, all I knew was from word of mouth. My bad.
On a serious note, feel bad that such a great part of the world is turning into a place to avoid. If it was me riding solo i would take the chances but my wife/ kids not worth the try. This is why I'm asking for people's views of the situation on the ground.