I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #70067
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Hey guys, anyone know where I can get a black rear fender? I've been changing plastics and I've ordered the rear black twice and both times they email me a couple days later canceling the order because its not available. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said: Procycle. They do full plastic kits and regularly keep black in stock
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #70068
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
What he said: Procycle. They do full plastic kits and regularly keep black in stock
Thanks ill have to call them. I've seen their full plastics kit but I don't need all that, or want to spend that much lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #70069
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
What angle-drive screwdriver are you using? A quick glance around the hardware stores in my area showed a few right angle screwdrivers, but they were all quite stubby. If there's a nice, thin one, I'd get that in a heartbeat.
I use a Kawasaki 57001-1239, which fits in very tight spaces because it has a cable inside a 90 degree bent tube. If you want a cable drive that's more readily available (and really inexpensive) there's the K&L 35-1968, but it's bent just a bit less than at a right angle. Then there is the Motion Pro 08-0229, which is gear driven and therefore not as compact, but has the benefit of using bits, so you can put a variety of different tips on it.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #70070
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround

Oddometer: 568
Jet Kits

I found this Sigma jet kit on eBay. Haven never heard of them but I haven't looked a lot lately.

Has anyone tried it and does it work any better than the Dino jet, I never could get the Dino jet to work with out stumbling off closed throttle. Every one tells me the Dino jet needle is the prob but that is over my head.

Any other suggestions on a jet kit to try that works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-11-Suzu...8de276&vxp=mtr
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #70071
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Make sense?
It does to me, but you seemed to use more words

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #70072
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
It does to me, but you seemed to use more words
Yeah, but the point I was trying to make is that the contact patch doesn't necessarily increase in size with a wider tyre, just its shape changes.

Fewer words
Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #70073
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
I found this Sigma jet kit on eBay. Haven never heard of them but I haven't looked a lot lately.

Has anyone tried it and does it work any better than the Dino jet, I never could get the Dino jet to work with out stumbling off closed throttle. Every one tells me the Dino jet needle is the prob but that is over my head.

Cheap Chinese jets with questionable size markings on them. No needle, just some washers to shim it up. Not much of a value for $50.

The stumbling just off closed throttle can be blamed on the DynoJet recommendation of running the mixture screw at 2-1/2 turns out. That will be way to rich and cause a rich bog just off idle. Most riders have had good results by setting the idle mixture right on the lean edge of the smooth idle range - usually around 1-1/4 turns out.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #70074
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post

I would recommend the non-USA OEM adjustable needle.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #70075
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
I wouldn't do that trade. Honestly, DR650s aren't hard bikes to find, and they're definitely not hard to find on the cheap. At any given time there's two or three of them in good condition in my area just on Craigslist. If it were me and I had to do it all over again, I would have kept my street bike, gotten a night job at McDonalds or something, and just worked the couple months it'd take to save up for the second bike. If having two bikes is, for whatever reason, completely impossible/impractical for your situation, then sell your bike first to get every penny of what it's worth. If you're dead set on doing a straight trade...come on down to Albuquerque and we'll swap.
Didn't do the trade but I am going to look at a 2003 tomorrow with 18,000 miles, aftermarket seat, aluminum rear rack with a JC Whitney trunk, has been rejetted and has a twin air filter, dr200 tail light and otherwise its stock. The owner bought it from the original owner who never used it in the dirt- commuted to work on it daily. It has new DOT knobbies on it and comes with half worn street tires. the bike looks clean and he is going to pony up a little cash as well.
I dunno, what do you guys think???
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #70076
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
forgot to mention I usually put at least 15,000 miles a year on my bikes, this one already has 18,000 am I getting myself into a mess with maintenance or is it gonna reach the end of its life after a year or so?
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #70077
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
I rode our '05 into town for errands Friday and noticed it's right at 58,000 miles. Nothing but oil changes, valve checks, cush rubbers, and carb o-rings (thanks for the explanation, Derek.)

Sarah
Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #70078
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Jedimaster put his through the paces on a multi-year RTW trip with 100+ lbs of gear and sold it with 75,0000 miles on the odo. Jammin' Jay has put his thru the paces, too. Both had the usual maintenance with a challenge or two. This is constant and hard use. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #70079
AJxr

Oddometer: 927
desert ripping dr riders i need your help

i will be dragging my DR650 cross country next month to ride the LAB2V and spend some time riding around moab, ut and around the ridgecrest/dv/palmdale area of california. my dr650 is 100% stock and i was wondering if i should change the jetting for this trip? i dont care about power gains or loss to much just want it to run good the whole trip.

2007, 15k miles, bone stock, bike lives in NY

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #70080
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Didn't do the trade but I am going to look at a 2003 tomorrow with 18,000 miles, aftermarket seat, aluminum rear rack with a JC Whitney trunk, has been rejetted and has a twin air filter, dr200 tail light and otherwise its stock. The owner bought it from the original owner who never used it in the dirt- commuted to work on it daily. It has new DOT knobbies on it and comes with half worn street tires. the bike looks clean and he is going to pony up a little cash as well.
I dunno, what do you guys think???
I still wouldn't do it. Especially not with 18k on the clock. These bikes are just too damn easy to find for cheap. Also, when you inevitably have to do work on your bike and it's out of commission for a few days while parts get ordered, you'll be glad you had another bike in the garage. Unless it's just completely impractical or impossible for you to have two bikes, I wouldn't do a trade.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote