User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #601
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,073
Joe,

I have done 2 PDS swingarm conversions in my builds and they both work great for the reasons you mentioned. Simple, easy to install, components are readily available and since they are offered in much heavier bikes, it's easy to get springs from 690/950 bikes that will work on your project.

For the FZ1 where I ran a 950 swinger and shock, I was constrained by the airbox, leaving my with a shock just slightly canted forward. I scrapped the airbox and went to pod filters and that allowed me to get the angle that looked "right". I then removed the spring from the shock, lost the nitrogen charge and cycled the swingarm to make sure that the swingarm with wheel went through the full stroke and that the shock also did the same. That ratio helped me place the shock in the right place and I welded it down. I left it tacked in while I was running tests and communicating with my tuner.

His advice was to get the rake you want with the front end first. Easy, I duplicated a 950 SE geometry. So I installed the front end completely with wheel and used a floor jack to lift the rear of the bike until my magnetic angle gauge on the forks read 27 degrees or whatever the angle was I forget. I then build my scaffolding for the rear shock mount, tacked it in and dropped the bike on its weight. Invariably something would be off slightly, so it was back up in the air etc.

One of the guesses I got very close to my geometry angles. Now the rear of that bike the swingarm pivot is higher than the 950 so I was heading into uncharted territory. At some point, you have to be happy with good enough. I'm not some A level rider and I don't want to bang my head on the wall that it was off by half a degree etc, I just wanted to ride.

So anyways after all that, I rolled the bike out of the garage for its maiden voyage and have done 7000 miles since then and the bike has worked great. everyone who has ridden it never comments on that half a degree. Honestly for much of that build, and the one I'm building now, I rely on my eyes, hands and common sense. That might now be good enough for MotoGP, but my goal is to actually finish my projects and get a rider. Too many builds stall out because people either get mired down in the minutiae or lose focus.

I think your plan for a new frame is excellent as well as the PDS shock setup. Hands down the easiest to get right. A linkage might be better, but its a 650 heavy bastard to begin with right??

I have a few KTM PDS shocks from an 03 to 08's if you can't find something locally for a reasonable amount.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #602
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,691
Have you got a 950 shock or have you worked out away to use a standard PDS shock with a 950 swing arm.

I have a computer program that let's you change shock and swing arm orientation virtually, it's been a great tool for learning.
I was surprised how much difference it made to the progressiveness of the suspension when you change the shock angle slightly and also how squat can be changed from + to - just within a few degrees of movement withe the swing arm.

But saying that I did exactly the same as you just recently when I was messing with my new dr650 that has drz suspension.
I copied the drz rake and swing arm angle and just adjusted it buy taking the dog bones out and jacking up the rear until the forks where at the corect angle then I made some new shorter dog bones.

The difference in the bike is amazing much less squat than before and turns much better.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #603
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,073
I have a 950 shock on the fz1. The cbr has a exc swingarm and regular pds shock.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #604
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 1,996
chop chop

boredom+grinder=dr subframe removal
pics
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #605
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back to my old ways

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #606
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
What if you get bored of stoppies?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #607
thumbs up we're off
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Sorry for the lack of posts guys.

I finished the motor and i was very disapointing with how much power it was kicking out so i was put off the project for a while.

I rode the bike around for a while wondering why it was lacking power when all other reports say that the hi-comp piston makes a big difference.
After seeing a picture of a je hi comp piston I have come to the conclusion that the piston I got from the bike shop is not a lot different from the stock (the je is flat on top and my piston has a concave like the original).

any way whilst i was thinking about the next plan of attack the head gasket started leaking this has given me the excuse i need to get the head skimmed and raise the compression to about 10.5 to 1.

here's a few questions for you very helpful people.

does anyone know if i will have to change my ignition timing to suit and if so by how much?

is there a programmable icu available for the dr?

is it possible to skim a head on a lathe or do you need a mill?

and why is the sky blue?

hope there are still people watching this thread as your input is very welcome.

cheers

Joe
I realise you've probably finished your project, but for those DR addicts seeking Head mods check out http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html their DR products are sensational.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #608
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,756
do u have any bikes in one bloody piece Joe ..... poor old DR

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #609
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

You've got a point nordie maybe I should put a wheel on the back.

The Postie is on one piece (almost) Martin.

Tell ya what doing this second time round is a fair bit easier and quicker.
Top mounts are done and I should have the bottom ones done by tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #610
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
So, what is happening? Is this thread dead?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #611
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nope just having a nap
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #612
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Its a non stop great project love the build. I have need reading for 2 hours. I am thinking of taking on something similar. Subscribed !!
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #613
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

One day it will continue.

I'm starting to get an itchy grinder trigger finger.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #614
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
So you started off saying this DR650 was going to be a KTM killer....keep throwing enough KTM parts at it and MAYBE it will be....just forks, frame and motor to go.

Im just saying.

Seems like you like working on bikes more than RIDING bikes at this point. I have not had to redesign a single thing that took more than a few hours to rework on any of my 3 KTMs over the last 12 years. I swapped the crappy smog vacum slide carb on my Lc4 400 to a FCR, 2 hours. I made a custom water catch bottle out of a baby bottle for my 530 and some rear foot pegs for both just in case...other than that I just ride them.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #615
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good onya mate your a legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
So you started off saying this DR650 was going to be a KTM killer....keep throwing enough KTM parts at it and MAYBE it will be....just forks, frame and motor to go.

Im just saying.

Seems like you like working on bikes more than RIDING bikes at this point. I have not had to redesign a single thing that took more than a few hours to rework on any of my 3 KTMs over the last 12 years. I swapped the crappy smog vacum slide carb on my Lc4 400 to a FCR, 2 hours. I made a custom water catch bottle out of a baby bottle for my 530 and some rear foot pegs for both just in case...other than that I just ride them.