Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #5971
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Fastway adventure F6 ? Pivot pegs , ktm hard parts , pro taper , the list goes on ,
Thanks, a google search could not help me. Appreciate it.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #5972
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
If you are not going to do ride in deep ruts or between big rocks the Fastway Adventure pegs are fantastic for giving stable and comfortable footing all the time, even better than the KTM Rally Replica pegs.

For enduro type riding both are a bit too wide IMO.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #5973
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Anybody got a line on a footpeg lowering kit or a lower footpeg?

I like my Pivot Pegz. you can configure them to lower 10mm, and move rearward 5mm. They cost about the same as the KTM Hardparts pegs, that give the same amount of relocation. I have not put hands on the hardparts pegs, but I think the PPegz mounting system is better. IMO.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #5974
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 198
If you need even more legroom Motobau makes "Bear traps" which are 3 cm lower than the originals:

http://www.motobau.de/shop/product_i...asten-690.html
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #5975
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
I know a guy with a nice XR600R he'd probably sell you. I think you already have his number
p
No doubt. .

Starts with choke, idles with choke, bogs and dies with throttle. We are going for carb rebuild this afternoon. At least no Austrian code monkeys in play. Cooler will be open, game on small screen - wanna swing by
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #5976
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
I'm changing my stock tires out.
Should I be able to remove the spacer in the rear sprocket?
When I spin the spacer, it feel kind of grimey. I want to take it out and re-grease it, of course.
I can't remove the dang thing. I dont want to pry it out because the sorounding metal "nilos ring " is very soft.
On other bikes I have I can, so I was wondering....but in the 690 owners manual, it doesnt mention removing and inspecting that particular spacer.
Maybe it was overtorqued in the factory? Should I go to my crappy dealer? Doubtful there is any real problem.....besides being anal retentive...just wondering.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:32 AM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #5977
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

I wanted to do the same but no luck. Sounds and feels like there's sand in there and I want it out!
Guess the only way is a new one...

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #5978
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
I wanted to do the same but no luck. Sounds and feels like there's sand in there and I want it out!
Guess the only way is a new one...
Really?!
Crap!
This seems like something that can happen over and over again, even if you replace the bearing,nilos ring and spacer....
Here's the link to the microfiche
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=570&B=17

I think the bearing is ok because of the nilos ring?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #5979
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

stock tubes HD?

Oh another question...are the stock tubes for the bike HD?
I swapped them out for HD tubes I bought, but I really couldn't tell the diff.
Yeah, I'm dumb.
Either way, the stock tubes seem pretty decent (Pirelli).
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #5980
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Oh another question...are the stock tubes for the bike HD?
I swapped them out for HD tubes I bought, but I really couldn't tell the diff.
Yeah, I'm dumb.
Either way, the stock tubes seem pretty decent (Pirelli).
Stock tubes aren't HD unless there was some kind of change in their spec.
There is a big difference between the stock tube and HD. Very apparent in comparison. But if you didn't notice...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #5981
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Gros Buck - Assembler!? I read the manual, once .
It's worst then you think ... Each and every CPU has his own assembler. Piles of manual to read. One of many good reasons why assembler disapeared except for very low level routines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690_Mod View Post
heres some pics of when i installed the rally cam and did port/polish with 5 angle valve job

here is the engine fixture i made it can rotate on the bench and its awesome when torqueing bolts.
Nice motor support ... Well done. Do you rebuild those motors that often ????

Is your bike still under warranty

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 11:43 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #5982
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
Dave and I just spoke and he confirmed what I thought which is that the armature is turning at one speed. Power goes to the pump through the brushes and then to the commutator which causes the armature to rotate thereby driving the pump. Given this, it is not like the armature has to struggle to deal with various loads, it simply turns at a consistent speed. We are studying the pressure regulator which we believe has a mechanical mechanism and is connected to the ECU so that the ECU can see if it is regulating pressure, however the ECU does not provide power to it. More to come on this.

While my new pump has seemingly fixed the problem it may occur again. As you know, a number of posters here have had multiple pumps, which is frightening as you don't know if you can trust your ride off-road, it is damn expensive, and it shouldn't be happening. I had a 2005 BMW GS (FI with a submersible pump and filter) and I put about 28,000 miles on it without even the hint of a problem. I am hopeful that we find something other than the pump as the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
Sorry for the delayed response as I was riding in the Lincoln National forest (NM) last week. I had one of the early threads about the 690 fuel pump issues. My my fuel pump problem seems to have been solved by installing a CA Cycleworks pump. My fuel pump stoppages occurred at all temperatures and altitudes and were very intermittent, sometimes running perfectly for more than 500 miles. It never left me stranded and would always eventually start running again. The first time it happened, I nearly ran down the battery trying to restart. I later learned that it would not start until the fuel pump prime sequence occurs (which you can hear when you turn the key on). Just wait till you hear the prime, then it would start. The pressure regulator is a passive pressure relief valve which is not connected to the ECU. It returns excess fuel to the plastic pump housing for cooling purposes. There is (from the 690 wiring diagrams) one connection of fuel pump power to the ECU to switch/prime the fuel pump. I do not believe there is any other relationship between the ECU and fuel pump other than turning it off/on/prime. The TuneECU folks tell us the ECU must be reset before the 15 minute idle and throttle calibration are meaningful. There is a TuneECU switch for this as well as an automatic reset when loading a new map. Disconnecting the battery may also do a reset. The ECU (from the 690 wiring diagrams) have connections to the following devices:

Lambda sensor
Front wheel speed sensor
Evap valve
SAS valve
Injector
Ignition coil
Combo instrument
Throttle position sensor
Intake air temp sensor
rollover sensor
side stand sensor
Accelerator position sensor
Ambient air pressure sensor
Engine coolant temp sensor
fuel level indicator
crank position sensor
clutch switch
Manifold absolute pressure sensor
map select switch

I have not yet disassembled my OEM fuel pump but I'm guessing it will look ok like yours did. It is possible that the ECU is turning the pump off because of some software glitch (I know something about computer science, being a retired CS prof) but, if so, it doesn't seem to happen anymore to the bikes which are running the CA Cycleworks pump. So the mystery continues, but I'm happy my bike runs like gangbusters. I actually trust it again (which is easier for me to do because mine never left me -- just slowed me down)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:53 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #5983
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I'm changing my stock tires out.
Should I be able to remove the spacer in the rear sprocket?
When I spin the spacer, it feel kind of grimey. I want to take it out and re-grease it, of course.
I can't remove the dang thing. I dont want to pry it out because the sorounding metal "nilos ring " is very soft.
On other bikes I have I can, so I was wondering....but in the 690 owners manual, it doesnt mention removing and inspecting that particular spacer.
Maybe it was overtorqued in the factory? Should I go to my crappy dealer? Doubtful there is any real problem.....besides being anal retentive...just wondering.

Spacer should be able to be removed, but mine, on the old bike, was stuck last time I tried too. I have that same indent from the screwdriver in my soft ring too now.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #5984
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Spacer should be able to be removed, but mine, on the old bike, was stuck last time I tried too. I have that same indent from the screwdriver in my soft ring too now.
nice job, eagle eyes! hahaha!
i was pissed when i did that. it didn't take much, did it? i was like "wtf!!??"
you live and learn,and there's no serious damage.
it just took me by surprise and i've never seen a nilos ring before on any other bike i've had.
it must be a ktm thing.
i had to google what it was.
good info
and here

The same problem is with blackSP's bike, and that's an 2012.
So you were once able to remove the spacer?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #5985
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,164
The carb rebuild I had planned for the afternoon was dragging a deer out of the woods this morning so I ended up with options. Since the bike started right up last night, thought I'd see what would happen today.

I've got an hour long town loop that does what it can. No dirt but would at least let me run it a bit. Like a champ, it was. I thought certain Santa shimmied down the exhaust and gave me a firmware upgrade last night while I was sleeping it off.

Fifteen minute idle reset, again. Ride was cooler today, temps were similar (high seventies) but overcast and less stop go. Stalled for first time at end of ride, fan was running as I waited at a couple of lights. Let it sit back in the shed - 5 mins for 'train time' Did start but rough, wouldn't hold idle, needed gas.

So - temps seem to matter - out of the blue, maybe.

Given y'all's posts, my attack order is: Injector clean. Battery - maybe low volts? - oem @ 4 years. CA fuel pump. ECU.

Taxi!

Day after

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 07:54 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote