Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #76
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,054
And once again, you fail to make a point...

I thought this thread was about what someone wanted Honda to bring out.

Personally I don't care who brings it out but I want an updated 640 Adventure.

A 650 class thumper with a big tank, some wind protection, good suspension, brakes and the ability the ability to ride out to the middle of nowhere with only a change of tires and gearing from the show room floor.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #77
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Maybe modern two-stroke?

Also, I forgot to mention electrical output. It pisses me off that in this age of electronics, so many bikes come with inadequate electrical output to power heated gear and other accessories.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #78
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb The KTM Freeride 350 is an example.

The KTM Freeride 350 is an example of a small precise motorcycle as I advocate-

What I would like to see is similar with some additional features allowing use to travel, eg rear subframe and 3 gal tank.

My dream: 230L to be a 270 lb (wet) 300L, and have similar gas mileage and a 3 gallon tank.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 10:11 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #79
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post

But I have never met anyone who has acted any different just because they ride a certain brand of bike.

Then come and visit the USA and drop into the pirate lair or the Bring My Wallet show room.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #80
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgrain View Post
Maybe modern two-stroke?

Also, I forgot to mention electrical output. It pisses me off that in this age of electronics, so many bikes come with inadequate electrical output to power heated gear and other accessories.
That would be wild since AFAIK Honda has never had a two stroke enduro race bike much less a dual sport. They were already rocking four strokes back in the 70's when all the other Japanese companies were still running two stroke enduros. That is why I rode Yamaha and Kawasaki "enduros" back in those days. Even my KE125 was a rocket compared to an XL125.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #81
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
That would be wild since AFAIK Honda has never had a two stroke enduro race bike much less a dual sport. They were already rocking four strokes back in the 70's when all the other Japanese companies were still running two stroke enduros. That is why I rode Yamaha and Kawasaki "enduros" back in those days. Even my KE125 was a rocket compared to an XL125.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #82
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,054
Quote:
MT 250 about 75

CRM250 was a two stroke trail bike in the 90s.

There the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #83
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Spot on....I don't much care who the manufacturer is but the fact is the euro bikes have the market cornered if you want an adv bike with a quality setup, which seems strangely to bring out the troll in some folks...go figure? I hope Honda do make a quality adv bike one day as I'd certainly be interested.

PS: That ignor function is awsome

Folks have diff needs....some want an adventure bike, some want strictly a dirt bike with lights, some want a 600+lb street bike with dirt tires, some want a tiny bike, some want a high hp 12 inch travel bike......the list goes on and on. I think there's a bike out there to make everybody happy. I think maybe folks should be riding the bikes of their choice more, and spending less time fighting about them on the net
BTW this is a generalized statement Falcon, not aimed at you whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
The 230F is a different motorcycle. Just read the specs. The L is designed to carry a passenger. It seems to me that would allow a stiffer preload on the rear. My rear preload is somewhat stiff unloaded and better with the 40 lb load.As it turned out is what I thought, since the little 230L was designed for a passenger, and a guy and his wife posting here toured on it two-up, I figured it would carry me and my camp gear. It did so well.

Since the 230L is the shortest dualsport, and just one inch longer than my TLR200 I thought it would handle much like the "trials" bike, and it does. Also check the rake and trail- I like that for how and where I ride. If one rides mountains, it can be done on taller bikes yes, but one would know that seat height and wheelbase, rake and trail really help in tight precise maneuvering when like a trials bike or like the 230L.

I offer my experience, confirmed with others on rides in the mountains. Some nice bikes in the mountains here on our rides do not show the 230L anything- more confirmation. I find it interesting what the 230L does. I have ridden the WR250R twice in comparison recently. I have owned other motorcycles and have ridden and traveled on a motorcycle quite a bit- since before many posting here were born. It seems just hard for some to understand.

So I offer genuine discussion, honest conclusions and interesting experience. There seems to be either one or both much ignorance and intolerance in the discussion.

As stated several times- if I wanted to race, huck, roost, I would have a KTM or a CRF-X. If I wanted a big bike to go on the superslab, I like the NCX700 or a 650 BMW. But the 230L is quite unique, and misunderstood since so many do not seem to understand fundamentals.

Again, read the specs and consider something deeper than the bullshit about long travel, high HP, exotic mx or 'race' motorcycles. Learn the implications of rake, trail, powerband, torque v HP and powerband characterstics, wheelbase.

Again, my contribution to this discussion is that I would like Honda to build a 270 lb (curb) CRF 300L with some better suspension and over 70MPG with a 3 gal tank for a dual sport.
I don't think you quite understand the typical riders mentality, especially the U.S. rider......they need more of everything than is usually necessary. More hp, more suspension travel, more farkles, gadgets, gizmo's, do-dads, whatever it may be. More is better, and too much is never enough

That being said you do seem to be going on about your 230 tho......its a great bike, but I'm getting the impression you feel you have to continously defend and pound your choice of bike into the forums head.....not exactly sure why you feel that way? I would ride your bike and enjoy it, and not worry about having to convince the forum that it's a good bike....because it is a good bike, and if you enjoy riding it thats all that matters

Every bike I own and ride is a good bike, because I enjoy the heck out of them or I wouldn't own them
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #84
ADVNCW
Banned

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Folks have diff needs....some want an adventure bike, some want strictly a dirt bike with lights, some want a 600+lb street bike with dirt tires, some want a tiny bike, some want a high hp 12 inch travel bike......the list goes on and on. I think there's a bike out there to make everybody happy. I think maybe folks should be riding the bikes of their choice more, and spending less time fighting about them on the net

I don't think you quite understand the typical riders mentality, especially the U.S. rider......they need more of everything than is usually necessary. More hp, more suspension travel, more farkles, gadgets, gizmo's, do-dads, whatever it may be. More is better, and too much is never enough

That being said you do seem to be going on about your 230 tho......its a great bike, but I'm getting the impression you feel you have to continously defend and pound your choice of bike into the forums head.....not exactly sure why you feel that way? I would ride your bike and enjoy it, and not worry about having to convince the forum that it's a good bike....because it is a good bike, and if you enjoy riding it thats all that matters

Every bike I own and ride is a good bike, because I enjoy the heck out of them or I wouldn't own them
Much wisdom. I enjoy discussing and explaining the 230L. And I think I see the typical thought which is not quite right, and harmful to some beginners etc in choosing motorcycles. Same thing happens in my other hobbies eg skiing and MTB as well. Even I am surprised at how well the 230L does for what I do. Someone else could do the same, the bike serves beginners and experienced riders well, and is much more trouble-free to own than the big-ego-stoke $$ choices.

Many responses seem to point out perhaps a lack of understanding, so I guess my style is to continue the discussion and explain why it works well, Some just like to take a final shot that is just not really correct, so I bla bla

By using this website I have been able to choose a motorcycle and set it up and complete my goal of the WABDR. I bought the bike in May. Perhaps my bla bla will help someone. There is a lot of peer pressure to get the wrong motorcycle or for the wrong reasons

I appreciate the discussion recently as well since I was ready to spend $8K but have decided it would not really be much better- since I do not plan to ride the superslab. It also helped to ride with someone on a WR250R and also try it. So thanks for the discussion.

As well, I would be thrilled if my bla bla helped Honda decide to make a moltorcycle that I would want,

Yeah, I would love to have kept my past motorcycles, they were great and unobtainable now. I am looking and may get an '09 230L and put it in the garage. 7k miles on mine since May, may need a replacement in 5 years.

This is a thread about Honda dualsport motorcycles. That is what I ride. It is strange indeed the dysfunction of some punks who insert their brand inappropriately, with hubris, illogical pride and hubris, into many threads, and here- and disrespect not just discussion is offered up by punks who know the internet lets them spout off in that fashion witout consequence.

Thanks.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 04:22 PM
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #85
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,509
You need to grow some thicker skin or maybe lay off the caffeine.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #86
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
I did have 10 shots of espresso today Then I rode my motorcycle in the high mountains! I need to shut up here (they all said yea!) and go post a TR.

On the verbal assertivenes test I was nearly 6x the high norm score

Not really offended, just discussing and making points and dissing assholes- I hate know it all bully punks (not you, the ones that I put on ignore) who seem to use the internet sometimes.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #87
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
I still haven't seen anyone trash his bike
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #88
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 776
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #89
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I think you make a good point ST....generally speaking that is
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #90
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,687
Yeah, this thread is about Honda motorcycles....who haven't made a modern bike to compare to anything the Euros have produced in almost 15 years.

Why would they start now?
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote