Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
I think the toyota would be cheaper to own 5 years down the road.
Our Toyota is 11 years old and hasn't cost anything but oil changes, fuel and one brake job in 210k km.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
@ the OP: Never said you were an idiot, its just not what I woulda done.

If it makes you happy, run with it!

M
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #18
W0lfPack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post

Oh and for those curious the Ford F150 with Eco boost in my experience AVERAGED mixed driving with a slightly heavy foot over the 20,000kms i put on it 16.5mpg. My best tank worked out to 18.8mpg and the best i ever seen on a trip on the on dash recorder was 24mpg (seen 31mpg once on a long down hill LOL). Ford made some outrageous fuel milage claims with that eco boost that i just could not seem to get even driving as lightly as i could. IN many cases my older brother got better milage with his truck (identical F150 in blue with the longer bed and a 5.0L v8). It did kinda piss me off but one thing Ford did not mis advertise is the power that little six was POTENT.
Hehehehe ... I love my 5L V8. Also love the larger fuel tank (except when I have to fill it). But knowing how far I go on that tank makes me happy. And I like the sound of a V8 ... much better then the vacuum cleaner sound from the Eco-Boost.

Real world numbers: My one year average fuel mileage with a mix of driving is 16.2mpg. What I have found to be the largest difference between the Eco-Boost and my 5L is my fuel economy numbers are a little more stable. My worst to best fuel mileage is a relatively small range between 14mpg to 19mpg. My best is a little shy of the 25mpg Ford says I should get, but for real world I ain't doing bad.

And towing isn't that bad with my 5L either. Truck and trailer weighing in at exactly 10,000lbs, I completed an 8000km trek from British Columbia to go visit my Brother in Southern Ontario and back home again and my average for the trip rolls in at 16.4mpg.

But on the topic of monies owed ... I think if the "need" or desire for a specific vehicle can be justified, the monies can be worked. When purchasing anything new from the showroom floor you already take a hit. Depreciation on a vehicle the moment the keys are in your hand is heart-breaking. As consumers, we tend to ignore this for a while and relish on the finer points of new vehicle ownership ... like making the "new-car" smell last as long as possible. But we ain't stupid. We know it is going to happen, and if you factor in all the perks, savings, maintenance, and overall life-expectancy, we should expect to see the savings after many years.

If you acknowledge the financial hit of purchasing a new vehicle, then trading a larger vehicle with a larger sticker price for a smaller sticker smaller truck still makes sense. So long as the "needs" are met. While I agree in the short-term the hit he took on the trade-in value of his larger truck for this smaller truck will sting a bit ... I think the overall savings will help his situation.

Just my $0.02. I am a little passionate about this topic, because the purchase of my F150 came after much debate, contemplation, and creative dreaming trying to get myself out of a jam with a massively backwards loan on a vehicle I hated and should never have purchased...
Currently building a kart-rod
(Kinda a go-kart, kinda hot-rod)
W0lfPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,928
So what kind of fuel mileage is the Taco 4cyl getting? Do you have a stick or auto?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Glad you found a switch that works well for you.

I'd also be curious to hear how the taco does on fuel. My older 5spd taco was pretty crappy--only a little better than my F250 does now actually I'd guess the newer ones are better. Would love to see the Japanese get with this millennium and toss in an efficient direct injection motor. My old taco was tons of fun and handled great, just was slow and super cramped (newer ones much less cramped I understand).

2whl, He says it's a manual (e.g., stick) in the first post

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
So what kind of fuel mileage is the Taco 4cyl getting? Do you have a stick or auto?
Well, I have a 4x4 5spd with the 2.7 - it's not great on fuel if you get on the freeways much. I get 20-21 mpg on those, driving 70-75ish. In daily use around Toledo using surface streets and freeways I get a consistent 21. When driving in the U.P., cruising around 60ish on the 55mph roads, I get 24-25 mpg.

Around 60, rpm is 2200, while 70+ is closer to 2700. Motor seems to be in a sweet spot from 2000-2300 or so.

Power is more than adequate, and i do not question not getting the V6. I would like to see Toyota upgrade their truck motors though, as you can get pretty near the same economy in a full size on the freeway if you are careful. Or maybe just give us the D4D

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
If that garage in the background of your pic. is your's, you might need all the extra cash you can stash. Unless the camera lies, it kinda' looks like that old bugger is still standing just out of habit
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: