Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #47566
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
sorry for posting this question twice but i want this to be at the top of the new page so everyone can see it easier.

Valves came in. get to lap them tomorrow. though i noticed the new ones i ordered (listing was for an XR600R but they share the same part number as an XR650L) have a diff shape to them. they are the same size, diameter etc but my concern is the recessed dome at the bottom.

the stock valves have a wider dome at the bottom. these new ones are mostly flat with a small dome in the center. will this be a problem? will I lose compression? gain it? actually my main concern is will this modify the squish bands negatively and cause the motor to be less efficient.

Valves although look like diff sizes in picture, are identical in diameter / circumference. both are intake valves with the one on the right being the stock intake valve.
They`ll be slightly heavier because of it.......beside that.........run em..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #47567
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
sorry for posting this question twice but i want this to be at the top of the new page so everyone can see it easier.

Valves came in. get to lap them tomorrow. though i noticed the new ones i ordered (listing was for an XR600R but they share the same part number as an XR650L) have a diff shape to them. they are the same size, diameter etc but my concern is the recessed dome at the bottom.

the stock valves have a wider dome at the bottom. these new ones are mostly flat with a small dome in the center. will this be a problem? will I lose compression? gain it? actually my main concern is will this modify the squish bands negatively and cause the motor to be less efficient.

Valves although look like diff sizes in picture, are identical in diameter / circumference. both are intake valves with the one on the right being the stock intake valve.
What Brian said...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #47568
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
if you have an aftermarket tank check the check ball in the cap.
mine did this a few weeks ago and my little ball in my aftermarket cap was plugged and my tank hard as a rock forcing fuel past the float. just a possibility
Man, I was hoping that was the issue, but not this time anyway. Good knowledge for down the road though.

So I pulled the carb, removed the bowl, and to be quite honest, I found nothing out of the ordinary. Not sure what to think. I bumped up the main from a 155 that I put in when new to escape the factory lean condition, and popped in a 165 main as I am removing the snorkel and doing a full exhaust while everything is opened up. Also finishing the Dave's mods, and doing a valve adjustment check. I'm at 4,500 miles, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have a look at them.

So, is there something I am missing on the overflow issue? Something to look for?

When removing the snorkel, and adding a full FMF exhaust, is going up 5 on the pilot from the 55 I put in to make it run good stock, to a 60 sound about right? And replacing the 155 I also put in it to run good stock with a 165 sound about right? Motor all stock besides these intake and exhaust mods running a stock air filter. I have a 170 but that might be too much. Please chime in!! Thanks!!

Rider11x screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 08:18 PM
Rider11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #47569
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,863
Rider11,

Your set up is to rich. Try a 55/158

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #47570
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Rider11,

Your set up is to rich. Try a 55/158
Even though I run 55/155 bone stock?

Anything on the overflow situation?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #47571
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Sounds like you are simply lugging the engine too much. It's not a John Deere
No, but if there were a bike that was, this it.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #47572
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
After ripping around play riding on my XRL, I stop and see gas running out of the drain hose that comes out of the bottom of the carb bowl.

i assume that the floats are stuck and overfilling the bowl and this is the overflow drain. Correct? If so, why would they suddenly stick? Any ideas?
Occasionally, they will bind, sometimes they are on the border of being out of adjustment, and the float valve can wear a ring in the seat.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #47573
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Maiden Voyage

I took my new and newly plated XRR out on it's maiden voyage in the hills near my house. I'd actually never been on this trail before and was thinking how lucky I was to be on my XRR and not my XRL. No sooner did that thought cross my mind when I run across this poor schmuck on his XRL attempting the same trails. He was backing down from a failed attempt on a steep part of the trail and said this was his 4th crash of the day. Not saying I couldn't have made it on my XRL, but it would've been a lot harder.

His bike had the relocated battery, XRR sprocket and fork brace and pivot pegs and pipe. Pretty nice 2005 with 10K

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #47574
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,957
what do find to be better on the R to make it more trail worthy?
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #47575
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

purpose built

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
what do find to be better on the R to make it more trail worthy?
My XRL feels a lot heavier and less powerful. Now I felt like I was on a dirt bike. I've got a windshield and Pelican on my XRL though.

RZ Rob

Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #47576
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I took my new and newly plated XRR out on it's maiden voyage in the hills near my house. I'd actually never been on this trail before and was thinking how lucky I was to be on my XRR and not my XRL. No sooner did that thought cross my mind when I run across this poor schmuck on his XRL attempting the same trails. He was backing down from a failed attempt on a steep part of the trail and said this was his 4th crash of the day. Not saying I couldn't have made it on my XRL, but it would've been a lot harder.

His bike had the relocated battery, XRR sprocket and fork brace and pivot pegs and pipe. Pretty nice 2005 with 10K

RZ Rob

My xrl has all the usual desmogging/derestricting mods, Daves mods, uni filter, Big Gun exhaust, a few parts changed/removed for lighter weight, and slightly lowered/revalved suspension. I'm 6'3" so the bike fits me well. The bike runs mega strong now with instant throttle snap, and I've NEVER came across a situation in the dirt where I needed more power...the bikes a tractor that also revs quick and hard when needed, and I've never failed to make any obstacle because of a lacking on the bikes part. If that guy couldn't make the hillclimb with his similiarly modded xrl, it wasn't because his xrl didn't have the power...he just didn't have the ability. I've been riding since I was in my early teens, and I've taken my xrl up some unbelievable hills, feet on the pegs, in complete control the whole way.
I'm not trying to brag, just saying the bikes very capable, its usually the rider thats lacking

But then thats the case in alot of situations
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #47577
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,863
Quote:
Even though I run 55/155 bone stock?

Anything on the overflow situation?

Thanks!

For a stock piston/compression ratio the 160 is going to be to rich.

The overflow is probably some dirt in the needle and seat. Open the float bowl drain screw and turn on the petcock. It may flush the debris away. If not then you'll have to open the carb for inspection.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #47578
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

The right tool for the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
If that guy couldn't make the hillclimb with his similiarly modded xrl, it wasn't because his xrl didn't have the power...he just didn't have the ability.
I agree 100%, however the XRR simply makes it easier. These hills were pretty rocky and rutted-up with lots of loose rocks dirt sand and gravel. I have to admit it was challenging stuff.

RZ Rob
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #47579
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
After ripping around play riding on my XRL, I stop and see gas running out of the drain hose that comes out of the bottom of the carb bowl.

i assume that the floats are stuck and overfilling the bowl and this is the overflow drain. Correct? If so, why would they suddenly stick? Any ideas?
Be specific about what hose. One is a vent and the other a bowl drain.
The vent lets the bowl breath and connects to carb. above the fuel level.
The drain comes from a drain valve at the very bottom of the bowl.
If fuel from the vent hose, the float needle is leaking for some reason.
If fuel from the drain hose, the drain screw is leaking for some reason.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #47580
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

RZ Rob
I swapped bikes with a buddy on a ride... he has a well warmed over XRR. I actually like my XRL better. Couldn't wait to give the XRR back! The XRR felt heavier and harder to handle on the trail than my XRL. I think a lot of it is that the XRL feels similar to all the bikes I grew up riding. Sometimes old school is good
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote