User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #556
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Spontaneous Adventures Are The Best!

Winged it last week, headed up to Comox Lake via Cumberland, stumbled onto Willemar Lake by accident, and fished for a while.
I heard something rolling down the hill, and thought it was mountain bikers. Then I heard chains clunking.....2 guys rolled their dead Chev Suburban 4x4 down a hill, and were in the process of hand winching it off of the main trail....I asked if they needed some tools....I figured I'd be going into town for them to call someone. They figured out their problem was electrical ( some loose coil or something ) and asked me for a jump off of my DRZ!

Fortunately, it had enough juice to start their boheimeth truck, and they were very very grateful! It was 35 kms in after all. Lucky for them I made that wrong turn!
I told them I was headed for Ash lake, they were going for McLaughlin Lake, right next to it. Had to take the long route there through Strathcona due to a gate, rode the last hour in the dark. Good thing for their Backroad Maps GPS files! Ended up camping out with them, they fed and beered me, and in the morning we went trolling on a wooden wharf with a 25 horse motor! headed out to Port Alberni from there.

Good times! Good to make friends that way. Always help out in the back country! Now I've got a good idea of where to head in that neck of the woods, and have some buds to go fishing with when I'm up that way!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #557
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Anyone wanna go Dual Sporting Saturday?

Ok, Hello? Where is everybody????????????

Coffee and a dualsport ride Saturday? I'll take us somewhere fun and easy, I promise! It will be fun!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #558
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
i'm out of town for another 8 days, need to get some riding in soon though, considering doing a bit of a trip, anyone want to do a 1 or 2 night trip sometime soon?
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #559
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Ok, Hello? Where is everybody????????????
Coffee and a dualsport ride Saturday? I'll take us somewhere fun and easy, I promise! It will be fun!
It turns out I did break my wrist, so I'll be out for a bit yet...

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #560
roglsa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
damn dude must hurt. Looks like you hit a little harder than thought. hope it heals quick.

Tropic sounds like it was a good ride
roglsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #561
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglsa View Post
damn dude must hurt. Looks like you hit a little harder than thought. hope it heals quick.

Tropic sounds like it was a good ride
The ride near Comox/Alberni? It was great! It's for sure one of my favorite Island spots for fishing and camping now! I'll put the details on my Van Isle Daytrips thread.

I'm not sure how it went down with your incident, but years of Mountain Biking has trained me not to try and break a fall by putting an arm out, not saying that's what you did! Sometimes you can do the tuck, without the roll, which can save you from broken wrists and collar bones, but not always.... So don't take my bad advice too seriously!

I still want to hit a bit of mellow dirt on Saturday If anyone is interested. Bring an extra tube!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #562
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Quote:
I'm not sure how it went down with your incident, but years of Mountain Biking has trained me not to try and break a fall by putting an arm out!
Excellent tip! The tuck and roll has definitely save me from serious injuries many times. In this particular case it was just the force transmitted through the bars into the wrist, as I was hard on the front brake at time of impact scrubbing off as much speed as possible.

Of possible interest to you though Tropic (on a pretty unrelated note), I've been doing a bunch of turning and milling this term away from school. I'll send you some pics of the stuff I've been making when I get a chance.

My LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #563
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
In this particular case it was just the force transmitted through the bars into the wrist, as I was hard on the front brake at time of impact scrubbing off as much speed as possible.
You mean you didn't go over the bars?? Ouch!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #564
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Quote:
Ouch!!!
Yeah, not something I'm keen to repeat. The bar mounts are bent forward about thirty degrees, so I surmise that quite a bit of force was transmitted through my hands.

My LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #565
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Anyone know someone in Vic that can perform a leak-down test on a thumper for beer or cheap? The DRZ seems to be burning some oil and I need to see what's up with it before it becomes a disaster! I just want to know what the future holds for my bike.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #566
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Who wants to go for a ride soon?
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #567
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Anyone know someone in Vic that can perform a leak-down test on a thumper for beer or cheap? The DRZ seems to be burning some oil and I need to see what's up with it before it becomes a disaster! I just want to know what the future holds for my bike.
I heard an inmate talking about a co-op in Victoria that, for a small fee, grants you access to a shop, assistance, and free tire changes.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #568
roglsa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
http://www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com/
roglsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #569
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by roglsa View Post
+1 good place.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #570
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

how much "assistance" do you really get if you are using their shop? I'm probably looking at a valve job...of course I'd love to learn, but is that something beyond what they would help you with? what is their hourly rate?