Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #9706
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 75
Happy Birthday

Happy belated birthday Peach! Hope you had a wonderfully fantastic day!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #9707
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach View Post
Thanks again all for the Bday wishes..
Still working on sorting through pics from the last trip..
Soon amigos, soon....

Here's one new friend I made on Vancouver Island....

"Still working on sorting through" sounds like one of the finest procrastination lines out there, I look forward to seeing where you got to this time up...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #9708
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Vancouver Island 2012

Day two of the trip..
all is going relatively smooth when I decide to stop in Bend around 11- 11:30 to check the GPS on my phone.
Needed to see if there was an alternate route to get over to 5 since there were some pretty big fires going on
and the first pass was likely closed.

I pull in to a parking spot so I can check the phone map.

Didn't like my parking position and wanted to roll forward so I turned the bike on.
Nothing.
turn it off, turn it on, power but no turnover. Nothing.
and I'm on a slope where rolling backwards is the gravitational choice.
Shit.

The bike has always had weird intermittent starting issues and sometimes would do this.
So I'm not too concerned at this point.
I figured I'll get something to eat, check the connections at the battery, do a little rain dance around the bike and then try starting it again.
But now I realize something else.. no cell signal and no wi-fi.
Great.
Good thing I died in front of a sports pub that served food.
By now I get a cell signal and start trying to figure out a few things.
After a nice lunch and what proved to be later, way too much iced tea,
I go back out and try to restart the bike.
Nothing

So I gracefully unpack the bike to get under the seat, check the connections, still tight, touch every connection (you never know and part of said earlier rain dance), nothing.

Maybe a tiny bead of sweat starts on my forehead when I hear 'hey, bike problems?'
I turn around and met Pat, who ended up giving me a jump start and helping me on my way.
And is an ADV member himself as well as one of the most helpful people of the day.
We chat for a minute while I load my bike up and roll on.

Now every light you can think of is going on in my dash..
the temp gauge is steadily rising and all of a sudden it's hot as hades out.
oh, and I'm almost out of gas,
which means turning the bike off full well knowing it may not start again.
No spare key for the tank and the bike was running hot.

But I'm on a mission.

Something is now obviously wrong
and if I can just get to Tacoma where there is a dealer that I know of, I'll be a lot happier.
300 mi and 5-6 hours away.
I can do this, just not sure how.

My original plan was to leave Phoenix, OR that morning, take the scenic route through Bend, go back over through Sisters and make it to Port Angeles to catch the 5 something ferry to Vancouver Island.

It was now glaringly apparent after a late morning start and present troubles, that the original plan may need some tweaking.

About 1pm now, I stop for gas in Madras and guess what.......

the darth peach screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 08:31 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #9709
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,796
Ugh...

Mine has the occasional starting issue too.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #9710
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Belated Birthday wishes to You Darth Peach, I like the new Bike!
Thanks rev!
I'm liking it too. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

phase one, cat removal...

Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #9711
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,132
From one gato lover to another...don't mess with the gato!

Semper Paratus
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #9712
Wonko the Sane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
With a yawn that big, he was probably asleep (again) within 5 minutes.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #9713
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,456
You went where and didn't bring back any salmons?
So much for your seat.

Quote:
Thanks rev!
I'm liking it too. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

phase one, cat removal...

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #9714
the darth peach OP
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
You went where and didn't bring back any salmons?
So much for your seats.
fixed.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #9715
draglemmag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I have to share…earlier that morning and it must have been the first gas stop…

So it’s September 18th and I am on the return leg of a trip I had started on the 9th from San Diego and now heading south from Vancouver, WA. I had just left my campsite (East Lake in Newberry Volcanic NM) outside of Bend, Or about an hour ago (around 8AM). I had stopped for coffee at a café in La Pine and as I did not need fuel at the time inquired as to where the next gas was. The nice lady behind the counter advised that the cheapest gas was at the Pride Truck stop in Gilchrist about 40 miles down the road. Sold….mounted up and took off on a perfect, crisp, cloudless, early fall mid-week cruise. Rolled into town about thirty minutes later and filled up as suggested. Great place…nice folks. Got another cup of joe and while enjoying it in the parking lot watched another bike…traveler actually as was evident given the side bags and duffle straddling the rear seat, roll up from the south and shut down in front of the island gas pump. I continued to watch the rider dismount and immediately noticed the distinct curves of a woman…and in full leathers. Instantly intrigued . But as I am standing there she keeps glancing my way and then waves in my direction. I glance around thinking that she was acknowledging someone she knew standing nearby but nobody else was around. Then she waves again. Really intrigued . I toss the half cup of coffee, get on and start up my VFR and roll over stopping beside where she is parked just finishing her refueling.
Me – Howdy…how’s it going?
Her – Good…
Me – Great day for a ride, huh?
Her – Yeah, it’s great…
Me – Where you from?
Her – Sonoma…had a few days off and decided to go ride for awhile. You?
Me – Oh, just cruising around…heading south back home to San Diego. Came up the coast, saw my parents in Vancouver…heading to Crater Lake today.
Her – Nice…by the way, I noticed your ADV patch on your saddle bag. What’s your site name?
Me – Wow, cool…its draglemmag. What’s yours?
Her – I’m darthpeach.
Me – WHAT! Seriously!?!
I then instantly recognized her because of her avatar…the eyes…they were exactly the same peering out from the inside of her white helmet. She had this black balaclava pulled up around her mouth and I couldn’t help but notice the weathered look of her leathers from many miles of riding.
Me – This is so crazy! I’ve read all your stuff! Can I get a picture? (I’m like this little school boy wetting himself in front of the pretty girl on the playground who is showing him some attention)
Her – Uhhh….sure

Her - Nice VFR...I really like that bike.
Me – Thanks! It’s so cool to meet you here like this!
So we had a few minutes of pleasant conversation, said our obligatory “ride safe” to each other and went our separate ways in opposite directions.
Great to meet you Peach! I’m glad you recovered from the bike trouble. Wish I had been there to help. Beautiful new Triumph btw!
So…it is just a special memory I have now from one of my trips that I had to share.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #9716
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Man, What a small world it is! And to meet her in person is very cool.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #9717
DoctorAbo
friends call me Mitsulas

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by draglemmag View Post
So it’s September 18th and I am on the return leg of a trip I had started on the 9th from San Diego and now heading south from Vancouver, WA. I had just left my campsite (East Lake in Newberry Volcanic NM) outside of Bend, Or about an hour ago (around 8AM). I had stopped for coffee at a café in La Pine and as I did not need fuel at the time inquired as to where the next gas was. The nice lady behind the counter advised that the cheapest gas was at the Pride Truck stop in Gilchrist about 40 miles down the road. Sold….mounted up and took off on a perfect, crisp, cloudless, early fall mid-week cruise. Rolled into town about thirty minutes later and filled up as suggested. Great place…nice folks. Got another cup of joe and while enjoying it in the parking lot watched another bike…traveler actually as was evident given the side bags and duffle straddling the rear seat, roll up from the south and shut down in front of the island gas pump. I continued to watch the rider dismount and immediately noticed the distinct curves of a woman…and in full leathers. Instantly intrigued . But as I am standing there she keeps glancing my way and then waves in my direction. I glance around thinking that she was acknowledging someone she knew standing nearby but nobody else was around. Then she waves again. Really intrigued . I toss the half cup of coffee, get on and start up my VFR and roll over stopping beside where she is parked just finishing her refueling.
Me – Howdy…how’s it going?
Her – Good…
Me – Great day for a ride, huh?
Her – Yeah, it’s great…
Me – Where you from?
Her – Sonoma…had a few days off and decided to go ride for awhile. You?
Me – Oh, just cruising around…heading south back home to San Diego. Came up the coast, saw my parents in Vancouver…heading to Crater Lake today.
Her – Nice…by the way, I noticed your ADV patch on your saddle bag. What’s your site name?
Me – Wow, cool…its draglemmag. What’s yours?
Her – I’m darthpeach.
Me – WHAT! Seriously!?!
I then instantly recognized her because of her avatar…the eyes…they were exactly the same peering out from the inside of her white helmet. She had this black balaclava pulled up around her mouth and I couldn’t help but notice the weathered look of her leathers from many miles of riding.
Me – This is so crazy! I’ve read all your stuff! Can I get a picture? (I’m like this little school boy wetting himself in front of the pretty girl on the playground who is showing him some attention)
Her – Uhhh….sure

Her - Nice VFR...I really like that bike.
Me – Thanks! It’s so cool to meet you here like this!
So we had a few minutes of pleasant conversation, said our obligatory “ride safe” to each other and went our separate ways in opposite directions.
Great to meet you Peach! I’m glad you recovered from the bike trouble. Wish I had been there to help. Beautiful new Triumph btw!
So…it is just a special memory I have now from one of my trips that I had to share.
You are a wise guy for driving a red color cam geared VFR 750 but more than that, you are a lucky guy for having met darthpeach on the action

Cheers from Athens Greece
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #9718
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,341
Nice. I once spent an entire summer sitting at a gas station hoping the peach would show up. She never did. It still hurts.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #9719
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
A brush with greatness.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #9720
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
fixed.