Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Oddometer: 718
RTW... Which Bike Stays Home?

Own both as you can see.
The 990 came 1st, followed by the WR250R which beckoned consideration.
Each bike's strong suits and weaknesses are very apparent, having explored the way they move, respond, lead, follow, and their mechanical whims and demands.

It is my intention to spend the next year taking them (seperately of course) on increasingly more distant journeys, while pondering quietly which would win the ultimate "nod".

Please educate me;
Of anyone who HAS actually taken their bike over rivers or ponds, by boat, barge, ferry or air-lift, consisting of spontaneous destinations aimed towards remote civilizations, world wonders, or villages with fascinating names; Which bike would ultimately be favored by the wisdom of those who have gone before me? << Around the world!

My style and rationale;
  • I will seek improved roads, yet sought the suspensions these offered in case fate requires we high step, push, pull and pick each other up along the way... the frequency of such encounters gave rise to the WR250R purchase.
  • Many predecessors I've observed successfully pursued these roads on big twins, hence the 990 Adv purchase.
  • In either case, it would appear the lesser (smaller) bike might certainly be kinder, more forgiving, command less mechanical attention, and punish my funds far less when broken or thirsty, so I must concede she (Yamaha) has an enduring allure of her own.
  • Conversely the 990 might offset her girth, treachery and high maintenance with resounding presense, evoking diplomacy where the leery natives might otherwise suspect our substance if we were standed, hungry, or seeking shelter.
  • The WR250R might similarly conjure an air of wonder, inspiring onlookers to revel in our non-pretentious journey, while incidentally failing to indicate our net worth, and how we might be fleeced.
Any of the above benefits or detractors are welcome parts of the adventure, my only hope is that I hear and find wisdom to postively influence this minor detail.

I may flip a coin, unless of course someone tried THAT too and chose wrong... TELL us about it!!! .

Trust me when I say this, we may be gone for years. Those here who know me know I will, and they know why.

They meet

Wonder what they're thinking??

etingelefunts screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:31 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,702
wr250r.
reliable japanese tech & most of the worlds roads are slow and dirt.

i was living in mexico for a year and the 2 most popular (by a huge margin) south of the border bikes were dr650 and klr650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
wr250r.
reliable japanese tech & most of the worlds roads are slow and dirt.

i was living in mexico for a year and the 2 most popular (by a huge margin) south of the border bikes were dr650 and klr650
Is your suggestion that the WR stays home, or gets to go?
Thanks for the mention.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Is your suggestion that the WR stays home, or gets to go?...

If I know eakins (from the short time that I've been here), he's telling you to leave BIG ORANGE at home. And, despite the fact that I'm not an extensive world traveler (as you eluded to, in your first post), I would have to agree with him.

I would agree with him, first, because of the reason that he mentioned. WRs, KLRs, and DRs (and the like) are just anvil reliable. That would be my first concern, especially if I was exploring beyond my comfort zone. My second concern, for some of the stuff you mentioned, would be weight. And, the WR has the Adventure beat on that account, too.

To me, unless you foresaw that your travels would include days and days of slabbing, the WR is the winner, all the way around...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Thanks Warrior.
The WR is the much lighter than most of the bikes I've used similarly, but with EFI and sparse maintenance schedule, has swept past the others in the "fun-factor" category mainly due to her agility and being much more nimble, while suprisingly able to navigate at the posted limit (exception uphill) I often find myself wondering why I don't sell the 990.
NEVER would have believed it. I actually ENJOY intentionally laying the WR over and showing people how to properly pick a bike up... never thought that would be "fun" for any bike with adv touring potential either.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Own both as you can see.
The 990 came 1st, followed by the WR250R which beckoned consideration.
Each bike's strong suits and weaknesses are very apparent, having explored the way they move, respond, lead, follow, and their mechanical whims and demands.

It is my intention to spend the next year taking them (seperately of course) on increasingly more distant journeys, while pondering quietly which would win the ultimate "nod".

Please educate me;
Of anyone who HAS actually taken their bike over rivers or ponds, by boat, barge, ferry or air-lift, consisting of spontaneous destinations aimed towards remote civilizations, world wonders, or villages with fascinating names; Which bike would ultimately be favored by the wisdom of those who have gone before me? << Around the world!

I have no doubts, that both bikes could go RTW. But which one will be the better choice for YOU, for YOUR trip, I think I would need to know more about your plans, to even try to guess an answer.

For 2-up, the choice would be pretty obvious... but even if your riding solo, how much luggage will you be carrying (are you carrying camping gear) is one important thing. The 250 can´t be packed very heavily, or youre bound to have problems. Your own weight with the riding gear naturally needs to be count in.

Another important thing is, where do you plan to go, and what kind of roads are you planning to ride? You could go practically around the planet without leaving the tarmac these days, but that´s not everyone´s cup of tea. If you want to do a lot of smaller backroads, then this kind of tour will take quite a bit of time. For this reason I think it´s quite normal, that people mainly use main roads on their RTW-trips (even though there will certainly be exceptions to that) and if you´re using main roads, then off-road capabilities of the bikes will be secondary to comfort on steady highway speed.

Smaller & lighter bike WILL definitely have an advantage on the most demanding stretches of road, but like I said, those are becoming optional. Main roads will be used by buses & trucks, so even streetbikes can normally handle them just fine.

Smaller bike will also be better, when you need to lift it into a boat, or freight the bike across oceans, as it will pack into a smaller, lighter box.

You will need to be able to do the regular maintenance to the bike practically by yourself most of the time, so the bike, that is easier to maintain, is better in this respect. Spare parts, the Yam might have a small advantage, because it is Japanese, and a 250, but I would not expect to find parts widely available outside the areas, where these models are imported.

One more thing to consider is the bike´s value. It will most likely be uninsured in most countries, so if it´s stolen, for example, then it´s gone and you won´t get a dime from anywhere. Even if that does not happen, the bike´s value will usually go down rapidly, because it will look a lot more used, than if you´d do the same mileage back home! Also if your plans will take you to carnet-countries (East Africa, Asia, Australia) then the bike´s value will affect the carnet bond amount.

Bottom line, there is no 1 definite answer to this, you´ll just need to pick the one, that YOU feel happier to go with. Even if someone else feels differently, they can only speak for themselves.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 03:12 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,162
I have both a WR250r and a 1200GS. I'm currently in S. Korea, a common jumping-off-point for RTW trips heading West. I have the GS here... The thought crosses my mind a lot...

It's nearly 50/50 I think. The GS would kick my ass at times, in bad conditions. At the same time, the WR would do the same when I had a decent piece of tarmac ahead of me.

I think the WR is a better machine for the job, when you get all the way down to brass tacks.

I may be totally wrong on this, but I think one thing (seeing your bikes together) your KTM has going for it is it's ALL black. The WR by contrast stands out like a sore thumb. I wonder if this "camouflage" might be valuable on the WR in other countries. In other words, perhaps you need to make it look a little shitty?

SR1 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 06:22 AM
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Don't worry you'll stand out like a sore thumb anyway...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other.

There have been a lot of guys that have taken the LC8 engine all over creation (Jean-Luc, Crashmaster, Misery Goat, Aurel) and never really had a problem. If a town doesn't have parts then UPS to the rescue. Obviously carry stuff you know you'll need like the water pump kit, maybe a sprocket set. Plus there are so many guys in OC that have done so much stuff to those bikes that if the Great Pumpkin goes down we'll likely be able to help you fix it.

The WR will be a lot nicer when the road turns to shit, you can kick it off of you if you crash solo, and from what I've seen those little bikes are bullet proof. A lot of Jap bike brands use the same parts so thats a plus.

Me, personally, I'd take the 990 because I know I can stand to ride it for days on end. Compared to my 250 XC-F which I think I would be sick of after a few days, and also to my 525 EXC that I made into a motard that after 8,000 miles I realized the seat sucked (better than the old KTM seats though).

It all comes down to you. What do you think you could stand to ride after camping in the rain, waking up wet and cold, and realizing you have to ride a bike for the next 6 hours?

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I have no doubts, that both bikes could go RTW... I think I would need to know more about your plans, to even try to guess an answer.
The trip won't be meticulously sorted in advance, which is where the WR's appeal surfaces

Quote:
For 2-up, the choice would be pretty obvious... but even if your riding solo, how much luggage will you be carrying (are you carrying camping gear) is one important thing. The 250 can´t be packed very heavily, or youre bound to have problems. Your own weight with the riding gear naturally needs to be count in.
Solo, with a load suitable to either bike. 22 years in the Marines learnt me to pack light

Quote:
...where do you plan to go, and what kind of roads are you planning to ride?
Part of the plan, is to abandon script on a whim, and often times go "thataway" en route to the next continent, so all manner of roads are conceivable, only turning around if the perceived risks (i.e. rickety bridges, or traversing rapids of unkown depths) render a foreboding which can't be vanquished

Quote:
Smaller bike will also be better, when you need to lift it into a boat, or freight the bike across oceans, as it will pack into a smaller, lighter box.
Amen

Quote:
You will need to be able to do the regular maintenance to the bike practically by yourself most of the time, so the bike, that is easier to maintain, is better in this respect. Spare parts, the Yam might have a small advantage, because it is Japanese, and a 250, but I would not expect to find parts widely available outside the areas, where these models are imported.
Very well received. The Yam is vastly easier to work on, having rebuilt a 990 from the ground up it would seem what takes 2 weeks for parts in labor abroad, might be achieved through the course of a late night by the Yamaha.

Quote:
One more thing to consider is the bike´s value....Also if your plans will take you to carnet-countries (East Africa, Asia, Australia) then the bike´s value will affect the carnet bond amount.
"Carnet bond" is a term foreign to my ears. Will set about learning what this means, and THANK YOU for that insight!!

Quote:
Bottom line, there is no 1 definite answer to this, you´ll just need to pick the one, that YOU feel happier to go with. Even if someone else feels differently, they can only speak for themselves.
I truly believe I would be delighted on either for the most part, only pondering whether the lesser bike (Yamaha) would provide greater advantages depite her inadequacies, via her un-cumbersome stance when the frequent forays onto roads less travelled creep in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
I have both a WR250r and a 1200GS. I'm currently in S. Korea, a common jumping-off-point for RTW trips heading West. I have the GS here... The thought crosses my mind a lot...

It's nearly 50/50 I think. The GS would kick my ass at times, in bad conditions. At the same time, the WR would do the same when I had a decent piece of tarmac ahead of me.

I think the WR is a better machine for the job, when you get all the way down to brass tacks.

I may be totally wrong on this, but I think one thing (seeing your bikes together) your KTM has going for it is it's ALL black. The WR by contrast stands out like a sore thumb. I wonder if this "camouflage" might be valuable on the WR in other countries. In other words, perhaps you need to make it look a little shitty?
Great minds think alike! It is my full intention to "allow" the adventure conversion of the WR produce an unsightly critter, not being fond of a flashy bike on many levels. It would actually be an excersise in creativity to make her homely, to better blend in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other.

There have been a lot of guys that have taken the LC8 engine all over creation (Jean-Luc, Crashmaster, Misery Goat, Aurel) and never really had a problem. If a town doesn't have parts then UPS to the rescue. Obviously carry stuff you know you'll need like the water pump kit, maybe a sprocket set. Plus there are so many guys in OC that have done so much stuff to those bikes that if the Great Pumpkin goes down we'll likely be able to help you fix it.

The WR will be a lot nicer when the road turns to shit, you can kick it off of you if you crash solo, and from what I've seen those little bikes are bullet proof. A lot of Jap bike brands use the same parts so thats a plus.

Me, personally, I'd take the 990 because I know I can stand to ride it for days on end. Compared to my 250 XC-F which I think I would be sick of after a few days, and also to my 525 EXC that I made into a motard that after 8,000 miles I realized the seat sucked (better than the old KTM seats though).

It all comes down to you. What do you think you could stand to ride after camping in the rain, waking up wet and cold, and realizing you have to ride a bike for the next 6 hours?
Thanks Katoom. If it were not for sharing many of your very good perspectives, the WR would be a no brainer, and my likely choice at any rate, but much of what you pointed out gives me pause, and to be sure, it is nice to seek council. Thank you for your insight.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 587
I don't meet your requirement of having travelled around the world by bike, but I do have some experience nonetheless.

I don't much care for the choices.
The KTM is a beast and frankly, I wouldn't trust it.
The WR, while very cool, isn't well suited to carrying lots of stuff for an extended tour and wouldn't be too pleasant on open stretches of highway.

I'd choose a KLR. Kinda boring but can carry a huge amount of stuff (if desired), gets excellent fuel mileage, and is reliable. Large fuel tank, great after market, theoretical parts availability, and good balance of dirt worthiness and highway manners are a draw. Do the doohicky, thermobob, Odyssey battery, front rotor, sub frame bolts, add an SU rack and Caribou bags, DR650 footpegs (or similar) and head out.

A DR650 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

IMO the bikes you currently have are neither fish nor fowl for a RTW trip. My $.02

Saline Valley Road

Couple of dusty guys
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:15 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
Good for campfire talk....

Two different mindsets, IMO.
Depends on what types of roads you plan to travel.

I'd put the small bike at a 300ish miler and the big bike at a 500ish miler, highwaywise. Huge difference for long trips.

The small bike will go thru a keyhole trail, and the big bike doesn't like keyholes.

Fuel costs, maintenance needs, etc differ.

Big bike is the express option. Small bike opens other options, but not express.

Endless... Again a mindset.

PM crashmaster, who contemplated similar scenarios and options, and recently rode many miles south. A solid source to tap.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Good for campfire talk....
.....Depends on what types of roads you plan to travel.
Endless... Again a mindset.

PM crashmaster, who contemplated similar scenarios and options, and recently rode many miles south. A solid source to tap.
Thank You Lone Rider. I have read crashmaster's entire trip. Hopefully he might offer insight on how he would vary his approach given a second whirl, and the 2 bikes on hand..
Came away from the campfire and purchased these two bikes.
Now I'm in the trip planning phase, seeking advice from predecessors.

It is my sincere hope that those who went before might be willing to express how they might approach the journey given a choice between the two bikes I have aquired, if they were to start all over.

As I stated, the routes and roads will often be on a whim, and accordingly will vary considerably. Only turning back when safe passage is doubtful, while taking full advantage of the type roads these suspensions are adept at navigating.
Keep in mind, if I had done this before I wouldn't be compelled to ask, I would recall what they already know.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

"Carnet bond" is a term foreign to my ears. Will set about learning what this means, and THANK YOU for that insight!!
Needing the carnet or not depends on your route plans. Egypt, Australia and India are examples of countries, that demand it for temp import. In some countries, you are allowed to use it, but it´s not mandatory. Note the difference.

You get it from your local Automobile Association, typically before you leave (should be able to arrange it while underway, too, but can be costly) and you are usually required to leave a bond to the AA. In case you violate the agreement on the carnet (means you have used the carnet for temporary import to a country, but don´t re-export the vehicle within the speficied time) then that countries customs will contact the AA and ask for import taxes and duties be paid from that bond. But if you return home with the bike, and have all appropriate import/export stamps on your carnet, then the bond should be released back to you. I had 5000 euros bond in my local AA (the bike was a DL650 - the bond amount may also depend on the countries you plan to visit). Note, that I arranged this bond as a ´bank guarantee´, so it´s like taking a loan from the bank, and placing it in an account, that the AA is, and you are not, authorised to use.

Generally I would not worry about the carnet too much. Or at least I would not let it dictate my plans, like some people seem to do. It is something you typically arrange before you leave, so once you´re underway, you don´t really have to worry about it (except keep it safe & use it correctly, of course!).. so yes, it is some sort of PITA, but no more than other usual paperwork involved in this kind of trip.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 03:12 AM
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
So I've been thinking more about this and think the WR is the way to go. Here's why:

You don't know what roads you're going to ride. It'll be a lot easier to extract a 250 pound bike from the bottom of a snotty hill than a 500 pound bike.

If the bike breaks down it'll be a lot easier to throw the WR in the back of a truck/cart/tie it to the roof of a car than the 990.

You'll have to ship it at some point. If I remember what Aurel said correctly, shipping is based upon size and on weight. It'll be a lot cheaper to ship the WR.

Fuel mileage will likely be better with the WR. My 990 is getting about 40 mpg when I'm just cruising around 4K rpm. I would imagine the WR would get better than that and every dollar saved will help.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote