Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #76
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,504
Early morning visit to a dealer in Long Beach, CA yesterday. I'm actually looking for a new truck and spotted these, so here ya go...

samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #77
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Definitely looks like a great pick over the camry/accord. I suspect the new-gen Mazda 6 will be pretty sweet too.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #78
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,048
I was in at the Ford dealer on Saturday for some stuff, and they had a new Fusion out front. That thing is huge up close.....way bigger than my B6 Passat.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #79
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I just got back from test driving a Fusion with the 1.6 turbo. I was shocked by how much I liked that engine. It has pretty decent power and it is super quiet when cruising down the road. Surprisingly, the engine sounded really nice when accelerating hard. In fact, it might be the best sounding 4 cylinder car engine I've ever heard. The car really handled nicely and had very precise steering.

The only thing I didn't like is that I felt the road vibration a little more than I like in the steering wheel. But, new cars usually leave the factory with their tires inflated to the maximum pressure and it is part of dealer prep to check the tire pressure. I'm guessing the dealer left the tires overinflated. In fact, every new car I've ever purchased has had overinflated tires.

It doesn't matter if it's the tires or not though. My wife loved the car so we'll likely order one this week.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #80
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,048
They'll get me when they make one of these.

jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #81
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post

Yes please

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #82
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Can't believe all the people who think the styling is nice. It is way too busy in the back, the beltlines are all way too high, it's too chunky lunky and the back doesn't compliment the front. Just throwing an Aston grille on something does not make it pretty. The previous gen Fusions were decent looking cars, these things are overwrought pigs.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #83
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post

Oh yeah!!!!

I was drooling over an older, 525 wagon with the sport pkg, Sunday. My GF doesn't get my infatuation with wagons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Can't believe all the people who think the styling is nice. It is way too busy in the back, the beltlines are all way too high, it's too chunky lunky and the back doesn't compliment the front. Just throwing an Aston grille on something does not make it pretty. The previous gen Fusions were decent looking cars, these things are overwrought pigs.
That's what I think about the Taurus. It's a car that's just too fat; like most Americans. Maybe, that's the point; to appeal to most Americans.

I have yet to see a Fusion, in person. Maybe, the proportions will look the same, to me. It does look good, in pictures, though.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #84
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,156
The beltlines have to be high to provide the structure to meet side impact requirements....they're not that way just for styling.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #85
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,615
A couple of weeks ago, Motor Trend published a 6-car comparison of midsize sedans.

Camry 5th, with one comment being, "Did Toyota even try?"

Fusion came in 3rd, with a lot of praise for the car.

Quote:
It's a genuinely spirited car, with real flavor and competence in its moves. "You can tell right away it was engineered by a German team," says Evans. "Reminds me of the Passat, but even more German. The ride is firm; you feel all the bumps; but it pays back in handling. This thing is built like a tank and feels it in turns, but the body is very well controlled." Febbo agrees. "Suspension tuning is really good." In fact, post-driving, all of us agreed the Fusion's steering is the best of the six--better even than our winner's. "Sportiest car in the group," summed-up Martinez.

Under the hood lies the group's only blown engine, a 1.6-liter turbo making 178 hp and paired with the group's only manual, a six-speed. Febbo dubbed the combo "really good."

The seats, for instance, are fabulous: aggressively bolstered and covered with a cool, neoprene-like fabric that grips like a wetsuit.
I believe also the 1.6L Turbo with the SelectShift auto comes with automatic engine shutoff in the 2013 Fusion - look for auto engine shutoff to appear on more and more cars in the coming years. And yes, fewer and fewer cars are coming with manual trannies nowadays, and for good reason: autos are becoming better at shifting for economy and performance than you are. Does it take away some of the driving experience? I guess, but if you must, put it in selector mode, and shift the auto yourself.

2nd was the Accord (boring), and 1st was the VW Passat, but to drive one means you'd have to own one, with all that, uh, owning a VW means.

As for me, I'll be seriously looking at the Escape in a couple of years when I'm ready to replace my truck.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #86
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
The beltlines have to be high to provide the structure to meet side impact requirements....they're not that way just for styling.
Makes sense.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #87
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post

I know that.

Doesn't make it any less ugly.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #88
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
A couple of weeks ago, Motor Trend published a 6-car comparison of midsize sedans.

Camry 5th, with one comment being, "Did Toyota even try?"

Fusion came in 3rd, with a lot of praise for the car.

I believe also the 1.6L Turbo with the SelectShift auto comes with automatic engine shutoff in the 2013 Fusion - look for auto engine shutoff to appear on more and more cars in the coming years. And yes, fewer and fewer cars are coming with manual trannies nowadays, and for good reason: autos are becoming better at shifting for economy and performance than you are. Does it take away some of the driving experience? I guess, but if you must, put it in selector mode, and shift the auto yourself.

2nd was the Accord (boring), and 1st was the VW Passat, but to drive one means you'd have to own one, with all that, uh, owning a VW means.

As for me, I'll be seriously looking at the Escape in a couple of years when I'm ready to replace my truck.

W.A.
Should have been an eight car report. Needs the Koreans.

Ford, initial pics looked better than ADV pics here. Will have to see one in reality before deciding on the Fusions looks. I always found the previous version as a solid and understated but not boring looking car. Much preferring its appearance to the Camry/Accord.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #89
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Should have been an eight car report. Needs the Koreans.
Agree totally. Not sure why they were left out. My sister and her fam are very happy with their Hyundais to the point they have a fleet of 'em.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #90
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Agree totally. Not sure why they were left out. My sister and her fam are very happy with their Hyundais to the point they have a fleet of 'em.

W.A.
If the car lost a previous comparo (the Koreans) and has not been substantially revised it is not included. In the test referenced, the Altima, Camry, Fusion and Accord are all new and being compared to the last winner, the Passat.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: