Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #541
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzlehead View Post
new pervert here. Er somebody said numbers matching machine is worth restoring? Not too keen on "power egg" looks
but do like cafe brat look plus less loot to get mobile, any body got any input? I have basket case engine, frame,minus front wheel assembly and fork tubes ???
do it!!

do it do it!!
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #542
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Check check. 1,2...1,2. Is this thing on?

Where you at?

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #543
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Stalled. Waaay too busy with life unfortunately. Hopefully things will slow down soon otherwise ill just have to make some time somehow. I'm getting tired of my lack of progress.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #544
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,560
Ahem. So are we!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #545
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Well I havent been totaly non productive. I have been sanding on the rear aluminum fender whenever I get a few minutes to spare. Not very exciting stuff. Hardly worth writing home about..not till its done anyways.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #546
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Just caught up reading about your project. Wanted to thank you for continuing to post your progress. I have read to many reports that just seem to end without closure. Hate it when that happens. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #547
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,755

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #548
Neil Claydon
Don't follow me, I'm lost

Oddometer: 224
So, it was supposed to be curing wintertime madness, just which winter did you mean

Neil.
Neil Claydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #549
allois
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Recently joined here and am having a 1966 BSA A65 chopper restored as a rat chop but by a mechanic (a real old one who seems to know old British iron). Really enjoying this thread and hope you get it done soon and running as good as she looks!
allois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #550
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Did I mention that I just brought another motorcycle home this week.....mostly in a large plastic tub of jangly loose bits and pieces

BUT.... once its un-jangled it might pay for some BSA progress!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #551
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Claydon View Post
So, it was supposed to be curing wintertime madness, just which winter did you mean

Neil.
Didn't he start this in the winter 2009? His form of madness is obviously incurable.
I think it's fear, fear that he might finish something he started.
Leave the other crap alone and get hammerin' on the BSA man.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #552
arbalest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Beeza project

I used to have British bikes, but I'm better, now. If you plan on really riding that thing, if you haven't done so already, I would strongly suggest you do the roller bearing conversion to the bottom end. The timing side of the crank is only supported by a bushing. When you get some wear in the bushing, you lose oil pressure to the timing side rod journal, with failure close behind. I believe SRM Engineering in England does this, but I also believe there is someone in the states doing this modification, also.
arbalest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #553
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbalest View Post
I used to have British bikes, but I'm better, now. If you plan on really riding that thing, if you haven't done so already, I would strongly suggest you do the roller bearing conversion to the bottom end. The timing side of the crank is only supported by a bushing. When you get some wear in the bushing, you lose oil pressure to the timing side rod journal, with failure close behind. I believe SRM Engineering in England does this, but I also believe there is someone in the states doing this modification, also.
But he just had the motor rebuilt, OK, not 'just', but it is a newly rebuilt motor. Maybe he had this done already(?)
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #554
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Thought about doing the bearing conversion. But when I saw the price tag I decided against it. Kinda made my heart skip a beat I dont see this bike getting a lot of miles on it, more of a sunday cruizer. So it shouldnt be a big deal.

And again... not much to report. Working 2 jobs (1 that pays and 1 that hopefully will pay some day) pretty much takes up all my spare time right now.

But I was eyeballing some cool non maring tire spoons and a wheel truing stand the other day with thoughts of starting the re-lacing process on the new wheels.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Pro-Tire-Tool

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...d-Truing-Stand

Speaking of wheels. The stock wheels have rim locks in them as they are a tube wheel. The new wheels are tube wheels also as they are a spoke wheel. But they are not drilled for rimlocks. Do you think I need rimlocks? My experience with street driven bikes with rim locks is its hard to ballance the wheels due to the added weight of the rim locks. Without rim locks you stand the chance of spinning the tire and tearing out your valve stem. More with the rear wheel than the front I imagine. Although the front does take some strain under breaking.

I was thinking something like this might be the ticket

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...teLoc-Rim-Lock-

Then it raises the quesion of where to drill for the rim lock. There isnt a rim lock hole currently in the Akront wheels. I bought.

Hmm and while browsing rockymountains site.....

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Rim-Strip-Tape

Ive always just used black tape to cover the spokes as its cheep and doesnt shift around. But that is kinda nice looking. And it is for the BSA and money well.. I just keep throwing at at it (other than that bearing conversion...lol )
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #555
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 649
"Speaking of wheels. The stock wheels have rim locks in them as they are a tube wheel. The new wheels are tube wheels also as they are a spoke wheel. But they are not drilled for rimlocks. Do you think I need rimlocks? My experience with street driven bikes with rim locks is its hard to ballance the wheels due to the added weight of the rim locks. Without rim locks you stand the chance of spinning the tire and tearing out your valve stem. More with the rear wheel than the front I imagine. Although the front does take some strain under breaking."

Just my two cents, but I don't think you need rim locks unless you a. have a ton of power and lots of traction or b. plan on running low tire pressure.