Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #3106
Indiesol
Putz

Oddometer: 46
I like them too. I believe the only one available for the XT350 is the 4 gal like I have, but I've gone 220 miles on it before filling up and there was still some fuel left in the tank. Man I love this bike. Blew the low beam the other night though. I spent half my Saturday trying to track down a bulb locally but ended up having to order it. Picked up two so I'm covered the next time. I need a new rear tire as well. Looking for suggestions on a DOT legal knobbyish tire. What are you guys happy with?

Hunter S. Thompson
Indiesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #3107
Eatmore Mudd
Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer: 73
Both my XR200 and XR500 Honda's have Clarke tanks. On these two bikes the Clarkes fit and look "factory".
I kinda wanted to see what their XT tanks fit and looked like before parting with the coin for one for my XT350.
Thanks for the pics.

IMHO tires are a deeply personal choice.
I Kind of like Perrelli's Rally Cross, Kenda's K324 and Dunlops K-70 ..
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #3108
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Since I got an XR400 my XT350 has been relegated to "loaner" duty.

That duty finally caught up to it this weekend when my novice-rider buddy tried to hop a downed tree on an angle and it shot him off the trail into some trees.

Shame on me for not taking pictures, but his crash took out the clutch and brake levers, the front fender and may have bent the handlebar mount (bars look straight).

Honestly, I was thinking of replacing all of these anyway, since the stock front fender is sort of "droopy" and the brake/ clutch levers are enormous compared to the aftermarket ones on my XR.

Anyone have any recommended replacement fenders and control levers?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #3109
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMtnRider View Post
Since I got an XR400 my XT350 has been relegated to "loaner" duty.

That duty finally caught up to it this weekend when my novice-rider buddy tried to hop a downed tree on an angle and it shot him off the trail into some trees.

Shame on me for not taking pictures, but his crash took out the clutch and brake levers, the front fender and may have bent the handlebar mount (bars look straight).

Honestly, I was thinking of replacing all of these anyway, since the stock front fender is sort of "droopy" and the brake/ clutch levers are enormous compared to the aftermarket ones on my XR.

Anyone have any recommended replacement fenders and control levers?
YZ125 front fender works. you just have to put a couple of washers in as spacers for the back 2 bolts.

not sure what years work, but the one I used was a '98

SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3110
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

That looks a LOT better. Is that a stock YZ fender or an aftermarket one?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #3111
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
That looks a LOT better. Is that a stock YZ fender or an aftermarket one?
Aftermarket. No idea who made it. My brother had black plastics on his YZ at one time but then switched back to blue. It was sitting in a pile of his junk.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #3112
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

Thanks for the lead. Got a YZ aftermarket fender on the way.

Question for those that have installed the Progressive 1136 springs-
How much do they firm up the front fork? I saw a few mentions of front end sag with the springs.
Also, has anyone installed a gold valve emulator?

Looking for a significant improvement in the front fork and trying to decide between upgrading what I have and swapping to a TT setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3113
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Thanks for the lead. Got a YZ aftermarket fender on the way.

Question for those that have installed the Progressive 1136 springs-
How much do they firm up the front fork? I saw a few mentions of front end sag with the springs.
Also, has anyone installed a gold valve emulator?

Looking for a significant improvement in the front fork and trying to decide between upgrading what I have and swapping to a TT setup.
Even swapping to a TT front end, you're going to be looking for Emulators/Intiminators anyway.

I'd go for straight wound over progressives any day to counter sag.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #3114
Indiesol
Putz

Oddometer: 46
Anyone have any pictures of their handlebar setup? Anyone running electrical to a GPS or iPhone charger or anything? I'm going the lightweight adventure route with mine. Thinking about replacing the handlebars with something a bit beefier and the blinkers and brake/tail light with LEDs to make room for a 12v adapter. Not sure if it'll power it though. May have the stator rewound, but again, not sure on the cost vs. benefit on that one.

Picked up some medium size ammo cans to use as saddlebags.

Hunter S. Thompson
Indiesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #3115
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Looking to get a new set of std piston rings for mine, cheapest place ive found is 'ronniesmailorder.com', the guy is helpful that ive emailed, the rings are $28 which is very cheap compared to over here but the shipping from a business is killing me, now hoping they can do it cheaper than came up on the site for such a small item but if they cant is there anyone on here who could buy and ship over if I was to send the cash via payapl? Also going to ask on thumper as well just in case

As for the post above, would a higher rated smaller li-po battery help with running chargers? More power in the same space?

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #3116
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I just saw a Supertrapp and mid pipe for an XT350 on eBay. Those come up so rarely I thought a heads up might be in order. No affiliation, I just thought somebody might want to know. Search on XT350 and Supertrapp and you will find it. For a $100 buy it now price somebody should jump on that.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #3117
StuartL
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey,

I have a major oil leak coming from one of the four holes in the top of the cylinder head. I'm sure I found, in a previous Google, something on this thread about this being a rubber bung but I can't find it again. It looks like the other forward hole is covered by what looks like a large rubber bung, it's the front-left hole that's spewing oil everywhere.

My XT-350 parts PDF doesn't show anything in these two forward holes. Should there be something in there, if so does anyone have a part number for what's missing?

If it matters it's a 1987 import.

Thanks!
Stuart
StuartL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #3118
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Is this the four holes where the cylinder head studs go through or the the 4 semi circles for the cam cover gasket?

More fun being upright
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #3119
StuartL
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Is this the four holes where the cylinder head studs go through or the the 4 semi circles for the cam cover gasket?
Four vertical holes. Does the parts list mean that the two labelled holes with vertical studs (incl rubber washers/seals/bungs) have the same part (90109-064f0) for the two front holes?

In which case I'm missing a whole bolt assembly! The bike is new to me and I didn't notice any major leak when inspecting/test riding so I assume that the previous owner didn't torque this bolt down properly.

Can I get this assembly as one or do I need to buy the individual parts (90109-064f0, 2GH-1111G-00 and 90209-11262)? Are there equivalents easily available, e.g. a standard metric bolt/metal washer/rubber washer?

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Stuart
StuartL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #3120
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Looking at this microfiche im guessing you mean parts 9 and 10, pretty sure all 4 bolts are the same size(will check as mine is in pieces at mo)
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xt350a-d...5.html#results

More fun being upright