User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Can I pair 2 phones to Sena SMH-10?

I realize this may be a silly question but I would like to pair two phones with my Sena. I work on call for three different organizations and it vital I am able to receive incoming calls at all times. since the carrier I currently use and have a contract with seems to have pretty poor to no service in several places, I thought I would just buy a cheapie-ish pay as you go second cell phone to use with a different carrier.

I like to ride and listen to tunes paired thru my iPhone but if I have a second phone paired , if possible, will the music from the iPhone pause to accept from incoming call from second phone? does this make sense?

and, no, I don't want to get into a protracted battle with my current carrier,Rogers, over canceling my contract and I definitely do not want to enter into any contract with bell, so that's why I thought a $100 phone card that lasts for a year on a pay as you go bell phone.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,239
I don't know about pairing two phones and how it will handle music pausing. Suggest you forward one of the phones to the other number. One phone to ring.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I realize this may be a silly question but I would like to pair two phones with my Sena. I work on call for three different organizations and it vital I am able to receive incoming calls at all times. since the carrier I currently use and have a contract with seems to have pretty poor to no service in several places, I thought I would just buy a cheapie-ish pay as you go second cell phone to use with a different carrier.

I like to ride and listen to tunes paired thru my iPhone but if I have a second phone paired , if possible, will the music from the iPhone pause to accept from incoming call from second phone? does this make sense?

and, no, I don't want to get into a protracted battle with my current carrier,Rogers, over canceling my contract and I definitely do not want to enter into any contract with bell, so that's why I thought a $100 phone card that lasts for a year on a pay as you go bell phone.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed
Yes, if you have v4.0 or later installed on the Sena SMH10.

With v4.0, Sena gave the the SMH10 two HFP profiles and 1 A2DP profile which basically means you can have 1 phone connected for phone & music and the other for phone only. I have 2 Android phones; 1 personal and 1 for work. I pair my personal phone on the main connection for phone and music. I pair my work phone on the "multi-point" pairing connection which allows me to receive calls on it.

Now I just started doing this and I've taken calls on my work phone, but the problem I haven't quite figured out yet is the "phone" button on the headset doesn't seem to answer the work phone? I have to physically press the button on the phone to answer it. I need to play with this a bit more and see if I'm missing something. I just wanted you to make you aware of that. If its a cheap phone, it might be no biggie to press a button to answer it, or turn "auto answer on" when connected to BT.

Yes, when you answer the 2nd phone, your music from your first phone will automatically mute/pause while you are on the call on the 2nd phone.

Just another idea as a backup. I have a Google Voice number (free to get) and I mostly use this with my personal phone. Google Voice doesn't ring my work phone (by choice), but I do have it setup that if someone calls my work phone and I don't answer it, it automatically rolls it to my google voice number which does ring my personal phone. So if I'm riding where I can't get to the work phone, I just let it ring knowing it will roll to the personal phone and then I can answer it. Now in my case, both are with the same provider, so both should have service in the same areas. That may not work well for you if your personal cell doesn't have service, but its something to be aware you can do.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
I pair my work phone on the "multi-point" pairing connection
how do you do this?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
how do you do this?
Here's the SMH10 v4.0 manual - http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa...SMH10-v4.0.pdf

Here's the instructions: They list it as GPS pairing, but it works just fine pairing a 2nd phone for HFP only. Steps 1 & 2 is how it differs from pairing a standard phone. For Multi-point, you press the Jog dial first for 5 seconds, then press the phone button. When the 2nd phone connects, you'll hear "device connected".

For standard phone paring, its just the phone button for 5 seconds.

Quote:
6.3.1 Multipoint GPS Pairing
If you use GPS only for turn-by-turn voice instructions, not for
Bluetooth stereo music streaming, multipoint pairing is recommended
for the GPS connection. Multipoint Bluetooth pairing allows the
SMH10 to connect two HFP devices at the same time: mobile phone
and GPS navigation.
Follow the steps below to pair the GPS using the
multipoint pairing.
  • 1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the
    red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
  • 2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns
    to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You
    will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
  • 3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation screen. Select
    the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.
  • 4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. English
    SMH10
  • 5. The GPS confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH10 is
    ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH10 saying
    “Your headset is paired”.
  • 6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the
    SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
    The pairing diagram for multipoint GPS pairing is shown in the figure
    below.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Here's the SMH10 v4.0 manual - http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa...SMH10-v4.0.pdf

Here's the instructions: They list it as GPS pairing, but it works just fine pairing a 2nd phone for HFP only. Steps 1 & 2 is how it differs from pairing a standard phone. For Multi-point, you press the Jog dial first for 5 seconds, then press the phone button. When the 2nd phone connects, you'll hear "device connected".

For standard phone paring, its just the phone button for 5 seconds.

THANKS!

I've been looking at an older version of the manual without this.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote