Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #31
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
My 2011 Road King Classic is mostly stock. Am cool with the performance and willing to sacrifice extra hp for quiet.

I upgraded the rear shocks to Progressives early this summer. That was an improvement but not enough. Two weeks ago replaced front forks with Progressive monoshocks and now it's a whole new bike. No more clunking or nose diving. IMHO the shocks are the most important upgrade and especially where I live because of all the joints in the roads.

Replaced the speedo with a Tach/Speedo combo which I like too. The RKC is my first Harley so the revs were unfamiliar to me. Maybe the Road Glide and newer Road Kings come with tachs?
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
My 2011 Road King Classic is mostly stock. Am cool with the performance and willing to sacrifice extra hp for quiet.

I upgraded the rear shocks to Progressives early this summer. That was an improvement but not enough. Two weeks ago replaced front forks with Progressive monoshocks and now it's a whole new bike. No more clunking or nose diving. IMHO the shocks are the most important upgrade and especially where I live because of all the joints in the roads.

Replaced the speedo with a Tach/Speedo combo which I like too. The RKC is my first Harley so the revs were unfamiliar to me. Maybe the Road Glide and newer Road Kings come with tachs?

my bike is 'stock' minus the air filter, carb rejet (same as ECU tune for FI bikes, and your standard screaming eagle slip on mufflers).

suspension upgrades will be my next move, more than likely going progressive front and rear. just not sure exactly what set up. i have basically only made the bike what it was supposed to be as it should have been from the factory minus the EPA bs.

really old farts in buick lesabres or crown vics sometimes think its loud, but when i shut it down to talk back to them they cant hear what i am asking them, soooooo yeah ////meh
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!

sargev55 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 07:56 PM
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:

I have a 2010 Road King standard. I also have the analog tach with the digital speedometer. I Couldn't deal with the stock speedometer with the small digital tach display. I just ordered a set of Progressive monotubes. My bike has a the nosedive/clunking issues also. I still haven't decided on what shocks I want to install in the rear. I also need to replace the stock tires, leaning toward Michelin Commander IIs. I have about 20K miles on it now. I have been satisfied with the stock engine performance so far. About 80MPH in sixth gear @ 3000 RPM this bike is in it's element.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
For those thinking about rear shocks....check out Ohlins offered from Howard at http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

I got a set of 13" that are not height adjustable but otherwie the same as number 3 in this link for a whole lot less than the advertised price.

Can't say enough about the service and Howard is a no BS straight shooter who won't sell you more than you need.

Still researching the front fork options and will do something over the winter.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
For those thinking about rear shocks....check out Ohlins offered from Howard at http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

I got a set of 13" that are not height adjustable but otherwie the same as number 3 in this link for a whole lot less than the advertised price.

Can't say enough about the service and Howard is a no BS straight shooter who won't sell you more than you need.

Still researching the front fork options and will do something over the winter.
Thanks for the link.

I've been satisfied with the stock suspension but if I were to mod this bike at all it would be on the suspenders.

The forks seem to be the weak link..They dive more than I'd like in an ideal world. Very comfortable on the highway, but they suffer under hard braking.

But now I'm happy putting my money into gasoline and motel bills.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
About 80MPH in sixth gear @ 3000 RPM this bike is in it's element.
Preach it.

The whole bike settles into a happy place right at 3,000 rpm. It's an indicated 79ish...perfect for avoiding speeding tickets on most highways, mpg in the low to mid 40s, and so relaxing I can ride all day. I never woulda thought it before I rode a HD.

Cakeeater
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
wabill
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My last Harley, and the best of 4, was a 2009 Roadglide. I kept her stock and had 23836 trouble free miles on her from new in January of 09 until June 2010. The mileage out of the new Dunlops made for the new Touring chassis bikes was fantastic. While there was a problem with the first front tires cupping, Harley replaced mine free when it had 12000 miles on it. If I wasn't so pleased with my current bikes, I'd get a new Harley in a heartbeat.

wabill screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:03 PM Reason: added photo
wabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Another brand of shock worth checking out may be IKON. I didn't get them for the RK because I'm lazy and just wanted what was easy and what my local mechanic suggested.

That said, I installed the IKONs on my wife's Bonneville and the performance was unbelievable. Called the IKON rep at the San Francisco office and told him my wife's weight and riding style and he called the engineers in Australia and had right springs installed. The rep was very helpful and not condescending to a suspension idiot. Shocks came within two weeks. They were inexpensive, easy to install and most cost effective upgrade I've bought for any bike.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Another brand of shock worth checking out may be IKON. I didn't get them for the RK because I'm lazy and just wanted what was easy and what my local mechanic suggested.

That said, I installed the IKONs on my wife's Bonneville and the performance was unbelievable. Called the IKON rep at the San Francisco office and told him my wife's weight and riding style and he called the engineers in Australia and had right springs installed. The rep was very helpful and not condescending to a suspension idiot. Shocks came within two weeks. They were inexpensive, easy to install and most cost effective upgrade I've bought for any bike.
Price?

Also, did you raise the butt of your bike at all to increase cornering clearance? Is there more suspension travel, or just BETTER suspension travel (or both)?

Thanks...

Cakeeater
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,301
22,000 miles out of a rear tire and possibly 30,000 out of front is amazing. What do attribute the long wear to? Tire construction, power delivery characteristics, braking character, roads, or combination of these?

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #41
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
22,000 miles out of a rear tire and possibly 30,000 out of front is amazing. What do attribute the long wear to? Tire construction, power delivery characteristics, braking character, roads, or combination of these?
It is amazing. I can't believe the stock tires have lasted so long...but they have.

I think the tires are fantastic. Supposedly dual rubber technology...soft on the corners, harder on the center.

That said: I keep tire pressures up, I rarely use rear-braking for average riding (unless I'm on dirt), and I don't do burnouts.

Most of my riding is pretty fast but it's 80-20 highway/town.

I've done maybe 1500 miles double up....the rest solo. But I'm 199.9 lbs, and with gear and tent/bag/clothes I'm carrying about 250 on the bike. Usually.

I know on roadglide forums there's other fellas who are getting 20,000 mile plus out of their rear tires.

I'm going to switch it out as soon as i can get to the dealer and buy a new one. Two hundred bucks for a new meat.

One of my brothers has an st1300 and he's lucky to get 8,000 absolute max out of a rear. More power of course but he's kinda jealous of my mileage.

Cakeeater
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #42
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Price?

Also, did you raise the butt of your bike at all to increase cornering clearance? Is there more suspension travel, or just BETTER suspension travel (or both)?

Thanks...

Cakeeater
For both bikes I kept the bikes at the same height. No cornering changes.

The price for the IKONs for the Triumph was around $350.

Progressives for the Harley were around $600 for the rear shocks and the forks were around $350. Those prices don't include installation. I know you can get them for less online, but I had my mechanic do the install and purchase.

For me it was all about suspension quality and comfort. The bike is much more stable when it absorbs shock instead of bouncing. Just did the rear shocks on the Triumph, which was more than enough. On the Harley if you do the rear only, you'll realize how crappy the fronts are. Might as well do both.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,301
I'm not jealous, I was thinking the tires must be rock hard or under little stress.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I'm not jealous, I was thinking the tires must be rock hard or under little stress.
I wasn't thinking you were. I'm just really surprised how good these tires are. I corner as hard as the bike will let me, and I accelerate as hard as the bike can go... Both are less of course of what the ST can do, but on the highway at 80 it's carrying more stress (as in lbs) than most bikes. The bike has always been very stable/controlled. Same in heavy rain.

I'm completely sold on the stock tires.

Cakeeater
Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #45
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
For both bikes I kept the bikes at the same height. No cornering changes.

The price for the IKONs for the Triumph was around $350.

Progressives for the Harley were around $600 for the rear shocks and the forks were around $350. Those prices don't include installation. I know you can get them for less online, but I had my mechanic do the install and purchase.

For me it was all about suspension quality and comfort. The bike is much more stable when it absorbs shock instead of bouncing. Just did the rear shocks on the Triumph, which was more than enough. On the Harley if you do the rear only, you'll realize how crappy the fronts are. Might as well do both.
Thanks for the info.

Hey, ignorance is bliss re: suspension. I know the fronts are a weak link, but I don't want REALLY want to know it.

Cakeeater