ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #271
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
The fix is easy enough though... you can confirm that the filter has reliably solved your issues for the long-term?

Thanks!
Good guess, and I am sorry to say so, but it does not reliably solve the issue.
It works for a test slope around the block with cold engine and low revs. As soon as revs go up and throttle goes up values will get garbled as always. The main factor seems to be riding speed and throttle status, suprisingly. When going in first gear and with low throttle it will display acurate all the way up it seems.

So, for a calm commute it might work out. For an enduro ride it will definitely not work out at all. I will give up on it now.
That was my last try, I really tried everything on it. The only way to get this going reliably was to disconnect external power completely. And thats no option to me.

Sorry again, and let me know if you got a better fix some day!
Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #272
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the Voyager... However, given the target audience it is a bit shocking that "noisy power" which is common on nearly every offroad bike can give the unit fits...

The fix is easy enough though... you can confirm that the filter has reliably solved your issues for the long-term?

Thanks!
Can you call me in the morning? I would like to hear more about the issue you are having with your Voyager tach.

Thanks

Garridan
Trail Tech
360-687-8643
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #273
Bigdog54
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Im sure this has been covered, but after reading this long thread i've still got questions.

I know the Voyager does not come with maps like my Garmin 60csx, it basically tracks where you are and have been. Can you import a map in .GPX form say the size of a state in order to get all the street, trail, ect. If so where?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #274
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post
I know the Voyager does not come with maps like my Garmin 60csx, it basically tracks where you are and have been. Can you import a map in .GPX form say the size of a state in order to get all the street, trail, ect. If so where?
Nope.

You can load tracks and routes onto it though...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #275
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Temp sensor too short

I just installed my Voyager in time for the LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport ride. However, it appears that the temp sensor wire is only long enough to work if the unit is mounted down on the triple clamp. I set my bike up in a Rally style with the Voyager high up behind the fairing.
Do you offer a longer temp sensor? If not, what's the best way to lengthen the one I have?

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #276
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post
Im sure this has been covered, but after reading this long thread i've still got questions.

You can import roads after converting them with GPS Babel. I load in county roads on mine and then use them for reference to know where I am. A whole state is too big for one file but you could have multiple files with different portions of your state. The manual covers how to do this.
samaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #277
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Oddometer: 25
FYI, I added a guard to the front of my Voyager and then had difficulty picking up satelites; usually just took it a long time to acquire. I installed the external antenna ($30) and now it acquires in a few seconds even sitting in my garage with all the doors closed. Neat little thing it is too.
samaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #278
Bigdog54
MX X-Over Adventurer

I've converted some roads using "OpenStreetMaps.org" but it takes forever and 9 times out of 10 it locks up the computer. The only way to ensure it doesn't lock up is to only do an area about 5 sq miles at a time. Not very practical. Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #279
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor2of7 View Post
I just installed my Voyager in time for the LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport ride. However, it appears that the temp sensor wire is only long enough to work if the unit is mounted down on the triple clamp. I set my bike up in a Rally style with the Voyager high up behind the fairing.
Do you offer a longer temp sensor? If not, what's the best way to lengthen the one I have?
They do 12, 24 and 48" sensor wire extensions.
http://trailtech.net/temperature_sensors.html
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #280
Bigdog54
MX X-Over Adventurer

Any photos of mounting options with 3 inch risers and a submount steering stabilizer?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #281
braymond
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I made a mount for mine that comes off my "Highway Dirtbikes top plate". Works Great
Attached Images

braymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #282
Bigdog54
MX X-Over Adventurer

Does that Top Plate come with mounting hole pre-drilled?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #283
Bigdog54
MX X-Over Adventurer

Any more mounting pics?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #284
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
My latest creation

I posted this on the XR650L thread but the application is more universal. The uprights that attach to the bars are from Billet Innovtions. I did all the other fab work.
I had the opportunity to use the Voyager for the first time during the LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport ride last weekend. The Voyager was a real life saver. It was a great way to verify that we were on the correct course while following the roll chart. The routes were easy to upload and the included USB adapter worked out really slick. I need to get a temp sensor extension so I didn't have that data available and I also seem to have an all too familiar problem with the tach readout not making sense. I set the scale to 10,000 but the tach shows maxed out even when at idle. I was diligent about only wrapping the lead around 5 times but things just don't seem to work.
One suggested improvement is to add the odometer readout to the map screen (or allow this screen to be customized too). While navigating on a ride like this the two critical pieces of information are position and distance since last reset. That data isn't available on one screen.
Other than the tach problem the Voyager is a great add to my bike.

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #285
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor2of7 View Post
I had the opportunity to use the Voyager for the first time during the LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport ride last weekend.
Glad to hear it worked good for you. I haven't ridden any organized rides sine I got my Voyager last year. You just hand them your SD card when you check in and they download the tracks, right?

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote