Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 348 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #2896
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
After playing Marder and Hetzer I switched to the US TD line because I wanted a Hellcat.

I'm now in a maxed out T49 with 80% or so crew and it's great fun. Stupid quick and a lot of punching power. More of a scout that can hold its ground.

Some like the turret....it is just a different style of play....I think they also have much better view range. I have been watching the t49's lately and I really want to try one....they do seem to hit hard...and will out run many scouts. I bought an E8 last weekend and really like the E2 much better....I may sell the E8 and work on the american TD line so I can give those a try....like many said above, I am not that great of a tank driver, but I do have some killer TD matches. Anyone that can get invader in that slow ass prem french TD must do something right once and a while.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #2897
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
I just got through the T 25 AT and the T 25/2 (both the American tier-7 TD's), and I liked both. I played in a platoon with a clan mate who was in the tier-10 American TD that has the turret (so the 110E3 ? ), and he said he absolutely loves it - perhaps more than any other tier 10 he owns. He did great with it in battle, too.

I guess that's the direction I'm going to take since the non-turreted American line takes a nose-dive, IMHO, with the T-28 ... I mean, sure, T-28's are effective, but compared to the previous really fast attack T25 AT, I don't think I'm up for being that slow and losing the advantage of a turret at the same time. Especially not since the T95 comes after it, and I think every player knows whether or not he is T95 material (the T95 being massive, ultra-slow compared to other same-tier TD's and anything else on the battlefield, but having a big gun and big armor)... far, far too slow for my play style, so I guess I will skip it for a good while.

---

If you come to terms with the Lee, it really is a fine TD for its tier. I know I didn't, and you can probably still find rants against the Lee that I made on the WoT forums from back in the day. But then I had to do it all over again for my second account, and that time I got through it just fine by altering my play style and expectations. You just have to let other people light up the enemies, and have to stay back a little. (The most classic 'Lee' death-move I see is a Lee attempting to cross a battlefield with his side totally exposed to me and others ... it's as if, turret or no turret, most Lee divers are just oblivious to the fight going on anyway - don't do that and you'll be much better off.)

And remember - no matter how much you hate that Lee, or any other tank, never use your limited free XP to finish a tank grind to the next-level tank. To be effective, have more fun, and earn XP faster, only use your free XP to upgrade the next new tank (i.e. tracks, turret, gun - IMHO always the gun first if you have that choice) you grind to.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 05:00 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #2898
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,667
I gold transferred xp to get the 105 for the Patton. Unfortunately I was too far into the whiskey to be effective and kinda just drove around and shot things.

There was a Lorraine 155 arty sitting next to the bridge in Port and I was going top speed (Patton) over the bridge to "drop" in on him. Just as I crest the bridge, there's a ferd and a maus . I got hit hard by the ferd so I turned left off the bridge hoping to drop out of thier firing arc, took a shot from the Maus and died before I hit the ground.

Anyone going up the American arty line. Just stop at the M41. The M12 is like the Lee, but with a big gun.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #2899
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,099
36% win rate last night, 45% for the last week or so

Either I'm getting a lot worse, or everyone else is getting a lot better. Or maybe both. Quite frustrating.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #2900
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
It's not just you.....I was 33% in win rate last night. I have noticed a rash of Rambos and guys that just can't shoot here recently, especially in that Tier 5-8 range.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #2901
papalobster
With Gusto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I have noticed a rash of Rambos and guys that just can't shoot here recently, especially in that Tier 5-8 range.
Sorry
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2902
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Papa, don't feel bad, it's not just you.....the problem is that I keep getting stuck with entire teams of them.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2903
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Platoon up with someone!
Then you will have at least one person who you know is decent. If nothing else, they can share your pain.

And yes, there have been a lot of idiots on lately.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2904
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I started a thread on the WoT forum....a poll asking about letting all tier tanks play all maps.....the results are intresting.

Just want to see what you all think....Do you think that all tanks (low tier) should play all the maps...and if not why.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2905
papalobster
With Gusto!

The thing I have noticed more is when I run the Patton at tier 9 I get a lot of matches where there is 5-7 arty on each side.

I try to follow other like tanks in order to work better as a team, but almost without fail I end up following a complete idiot then I have to fight my way out of some predicament. But if I go tearing off on my lonesome, like Mines last night, where I thought a few meds were going to follow my 3001P on to the island, I end up getting pummeled by 5 td's and a heavy.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #2906
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I started a thread on the WoT forum....a poll asking about letting all tier tanks play all maps.....the results are intresting.

Just want to see what you all think....Do you think that all tanks (low tier) should play all the maps...and if not why.
In my opinion, some maps are simply too big for tier 1's to be running around on... You'd have 15 1-on-1's and I don't see that as being good for teaching teamwork at low levels... Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, I dunno...
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #2907
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
In my opinion, some maps are simply too big for tier 1's to be running around on... You'd have 15 1-on-1's and I don't see that as being good for teaching teamwork at low levels... Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, I dunno...

All the maps have a given flow to each of them....no matter what they are....some go left, some go right, some go hill....I think that these flows would be no different on low tier matches. You may have one lone wolf buzzing to an area not well traveled but that would be all the better.

I also don't thing the too big argument really holds water....some of the high tier tanks are pretty darn slow.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #2908
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Well, I think it's funny that the early gun's shells only travel so far! My KDR with the 25mm french sniper would have been much higher had the shells not simply disappeared at 250meters. Do you know how many kills the RenaultFT, D1, Hotchkiss H35, AMX 38 & D2 could make if they traveled longer than that? You could sit with your crazy french armor & bounce everyone all day LoL!

If the maps weren't so big, radio range wouldn't be important. In early tiers its important & makes you buy the tier 9-10 radios ASAP in tier 4-6.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #2909
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post

No, I think you're right.

Evidence is in the tactics and routes that 1/2 to 1/4 of larger tier teams take that never get taken effectively on some of the maps they do play (or if they do take them, they're out of both contact with the enemy and radio range with their team for far too long). Tier 1's just don't need a lot, or many, maps, and for tier 1's or tier 2's there is map memorization that is aided by fewer maps. Let new guys learn those, then learn other maps in due time, because learning the nuances of each map (and each play style on each map) is about as important as anything in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
.I think that these flows would be no different on low tier matches. You may have one lone wolf buzzing to an area not well traveled but that would be all the better.
I'm gonna disagree. I don't know if you'd call me a veteran of the game, but I played all the available lines together back in 2011, so I was duly surprised at the reality of maps and routes once I started Tier 1 all over again when the french came out.

Could they use the entire map on all maps? Yes. Do they? No, they really don't.

Now is that a question of experience? I'm now guessing that no, it isn't, since taking a side route in a really slow tank means no enemies will be encountered, and the opfor can cap at leisure. Moreover, as I argued above - why overburden new guys with all of the maps? I see a complex balance vs. numbers of guys actually using the small tanks issue as well.

I think a full rotation would only serve sand-baggers who were picking on new guys or trying to improve their win ratio. No one respects those people anyway, so why make it more pleasant for them to boost their stats?

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 02:54 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #2910
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
No, I think you're right.

Evidence is in the tactics and routes that 1/2 to 1/4 of larger tier teams take that never get taken effectively on some of the maps they do play (or if they do take them, they're out of both contact with the enemy and radio range with their team for far too long). Tier 1's just don't need a lot, or many, maps, and for tier 1's or tier 2's there is map memorization that is aided by fewer maps. Let new guys learn those, then learn other maps in due time, because learning the nuances of each map (and each play style on each map) is about as important as anything in the game.

Bravo.

Playing "Mines" in a T1, or even the SU-26 is a whole hell of a lot different than playing the same map with Tigers and IS-3's.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: