Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #9361
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarGuy View Post
Received the center stand for my F650 Dakar recently. It took me about 20 minutes to install. The stand itself is top quality and fit perfectly.
I looked at the English instructions for fitting on their website. I didn't follow them exactly though. I found it easier to:
1. Insert the bushings
2. Hook up the springs
3. Swing the stand by hand by pulling the right hand side out to the right of the bike, so that the opposite side bolt (left hand side) could be inserted.
4. Once the left hand side bolt was inserted, I then pivoted the stand around that bolt and insert the right hand side bolt.

I never used any special tools other than a wrench.

I was very disappointed though that the package came with only 3 washers (instead of the four as needed), and ALL THREE were too small for the bolt to pass through!
One has to wonder about the quality control process at the manufacturer when something this simple is overlooked. Wrong count AND wrong size! That would be unacceptable in my profession.
Heh, when i ordered the VP45 tankbag system, they sent me instructions auf Deutch on a sheet with tiny, low quality, black and white photos of how to mount it. After my own translation skills failed, i asked the PHD candidate from Leipzig in my lab to tell me what they were trying to say and he just kept saying 'what the hell is that supposed to mean' to all the words the TT engineers were throwing in there. I ended up figuring no big deal, i can figure out a bunch of stupid straps, and mounted them in such a way that they shifted during the first ride to where they were touching the header and melted. After i saw how the got ruined, it was easy to see how to route them to avoid it (not on the instruction sheet, just in my head). TT does not quite get near BMW as far as delivering the full package...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #9362
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone remember exactly where in this thread someone made a post about mounting those generic LED turn signals from ebay on the front of their Dakar? The forum search software seems totally non functional and my google-fu has not been refined enough...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #9363
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Does anyone remember exactly where in this thread someone made a post about mounting those generic LED turn signals from ebay on the front of their Dakar? The forum search software seems totally non functional and my google-fu has not been refined enough...
Some discussion regarding LED relays and stuff back in May. Some rewiring of the dash globes required with diodes to make it all work if fitting LED's to all corners.

05-18-2012, 04:17 PM

ferals5
F5eral
Oddometer: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike
Those two a pretty small...maybe one of them is. I have been on 650.com (chain gang) and not one photo or diagram matches what mine looks like. Did they change the signal flasher in 2007?

They are only the size of a normal relay, can't imagine they changed from the single spark. The LED flasher will run either LED's or globes. Be gentle when you pull it up as there's not alot of extra wire on them.

ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #9364
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Some discussion regarding LED relays and stuff back in May. Some rewiring of the dash globes required with diodes to make it all work if fitting LED's to all corners.

05-18-2012, 04:17 PM

ferals5
F5eral
Oddometer: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike
Those two a pretty small...maybe one of them is. I have been on 650.com (chain gang) and not one photo or diagram matches what mine looks like. Did they change the signal flasher in 2007?

They are only the size of a normal relay, can't imagine they changed from the single spark. The LED flasher will run either LED's or globes. Be gentle when you pull it up as there's not alot of extra wire on them.

See if this helps too. I did this and have the flasher above, LED bulb in my dash and LED signals at all for corners. All work as they are supposed to thanks to help from LoJack.

Re: led signals

Hey Matto,

So the correct side turns on, but does not flash? I figured mine out a couple months ago, so I gotta remember how it went. I think the new flasher (part# G215-EB from Superbright) unit fixed the lack of flashing. But I was just getting all or three of the flashers turning on (and no dash bulb lighting up), and the added diode fixed that.

I took two wires and soldered them to one end of the IN4001 diode (they are one way, so make sure it's the receiving end) and one wire out, making a "Y". I put connectors on everything so I could remove it if ever needed. With the wiring diagram I figured out which wires were going to the dash light, and hooked it up to them. The wire going away from the light I grounded to the frame. It all worked after that. I'm not sure, but it could be the problem. The fact that your dash bulb isn't working makes me think so.

LoJack
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #9365
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
I put some info on LED indicators online a while back, diagrams etc & the changes between single & dual spark models & pics of the different BMW flashers

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/LEDIndicators.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #9366
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Hey Matto, thanks for putting that up. I forgot about it. I hope it helps D. Coyote.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #9367
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Hey Matto, thanks for putting that up. I forgot about it. I hope it helps D. Coyote.
Pay it forward, right? Cheers.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #9368
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Sometimes I get these weird ideas...
This one actually came up as my chain already is a poor shape...after just about 4000 km/2500 mi
It will still survive this winter, but it still sucks to have to change the chain and sprockets after just 7000 km/4400 mi

Before anyone says anything, yes I did service my chain at least every 300 km, although I mainly did so in shorter intervals. But then again, it sees a lot of rain, mud, dirt and everything else a chain doesn like.

Back to my weird idea though:
Did anyone ever fit a 525 chain and 525 sprockets to a Bmw F 650 GS (thumper, of course)?

If so, which sprockets were used? I mean, they would obviously have to fit.

I took a look at this random idea of mine today and so far, I've found a Front sprocket with the right measurements. Not for a 525 chain, but for a 530. It's actually used for Bombardier DS650 Quads, which also use the Rotax 650 engine, it's available with 15, 16 or 17 teeth.

Now it's just up to finding a suitable rear sprocket...if anyone happens to know about a 530 sprocket with 136 mm inner diameter (and optionally 160 mm Bolt circle diameter) that is available with 49 teeth, lmk :)
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #9369
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The place you may find the info you are looking for is metalgear.com.au, they tend to put tech details online
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #9370
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Well, my dash spontaneously started working again, but now my turn signal switch is acting up. Left works fine, right does not. If you hit the right signal, it wont come on until you beat on it. Somethings sticking. Anyone know where i could find the details on putting push button switches in? I recall reading of someone who did that juat dont remember where.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #9371
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
I put some info on LED indicators online a while back, diagrams etc & the changes between single & dual spark models & pics of the different BMW flashers

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/LEDIndicators.html
So a guy in one of the linked to threads at f650.com says he added the diodes but stayed with the stock relay on his 2007. Is a new relay needed, or just for the single sparks, or what?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #9372
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
So a guy in one of the linked to threads at f650.com says he added the diodes but stayed with the stock relay on his 2007. Is a new relay needed, or just for the single sparks, or what?
I was just about to give you my thread on F650.com....then I went over there and saw you found it. i posted some moreinfo for you there.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #9373
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

New relay is needed on single spark & it has been needed on the dual spark's I am aware of but it would not surprise me if BMW upgraded the dual spark part during production to an LED compatible unit. At the cost of $10 or so a new relay is not a big expense
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #9374
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Aftermarket kickstand

Have anyone successfully install an aftermarket kickstand ?
Trailtech, msr or such without much hassle drilling or excessive welding.
I have extended my sidestand but it can only go so much before it will touch the rear tyre.
Even the hockey puck trick will still cause the bike to lean so much.
Appreciate your inputs and write ups and pics.
Thanks.
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #9375
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Heh, when i ordered the VP45 tankbag system, they sent me instructions auf Deutch on a sheet with tiny, low quality, black and white photos of how to mount it.
There were instructions with the VP45 ?
Wow

Ohh and btw, all their instructions are like that. Think I had a blast installing the IMO computer, LED light strip and rally/ roadbook dash ? Hahaha

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote