Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #46
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I wasn't thinking you were. I'm just really surprised how good these tires are. I corner as hard as the bike will let me, and I accelerate as hard as the bike can go... Both are less of course of what the ST can do, but on the highway at 80 it's carrying more stress (as in lbs) than most bikes. The bike has always been very stable/controlled. Same in heavy rain.

I'm completely sold on the stock tires.

Cakeeater
Some version of the Dunlop 402?

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #47
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Some version of the Dunlop 402?
They say Dunlop 407.

They looked really good at 19500 miles -- lots of deep tred left. They wore really fast in last two thousand miles. I pushed 'em as far as I want to.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #48
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Tread depth

Does anyone have similar mileage on new 407 tires installed after the showroom 407 tires have been replaced? I believe factory installed tires have deeper treads than off the shelf tires of the same model. It makes for impressive numbers and brings the customer back. By then the owner has some slip-on noise makers and can attribute the far less mileage of the second set to the 40hp increase the cans make.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #49
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Does anyone have similar mileage on new 407 tires installed after the showroom 407 tires have been replaced? I believe factory installed tires have deeper treads than off the shelf tires of the same model. It makes for impressive numbers and brings the customer back. By then the owner has some slip-on noise makers and can attribute the far less mileage of the second set to the 40hp increase the cans make.
I'll let you know in a year or two.

I was just looking into the Dunlops yesterday. Dunlop makes a "knockoff" HD touring tire that is supposedly the same tire,just different tread...for a bit under $200 at various discount houses.

HD sells their own special Dunlop 407 that has different tread (a more aggressive tread imho) and HD emblems in the rubber...which clearly justifies the extra $100 in list price
Luckily my local dealer has the HD 407 available for the same price as a the knockoff. So I'll buy the same tire I have on now....and report back.

Cakeeater
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #50
HannibalSmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Harleys tend to be rear biased in regards to weight. My father got about 20k out of the front on his Dunlop 402s, and replaced it due to age and not wear. Gets about 15k on the rears.

My Dyna doesn't get anywhere near that, but I like to ride hard.
HannibalSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #51
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalSmith View Post
Harleys tend to be rear biased in regards to weight. My father got about 20k out of the front on his Dunlop 402s, and replaced it due to age and not wear. Gets about 15k on the rears.

My Dyna doesn't get anywhere near that, but I like to ride hard.
Yeah, my Road Glide seems very rear-biased. My front 407 looks good, but I'm tempted to put a new one one. I've lost rear tires before (not so bad in my experience)...but I'm not keen on having a front go flat at speed.

The rear tire life has been one of the biggest suprises of this bike. Of course, my pals like to joke that it's because there's so little HP being pushed through the tire....

Cakeeater
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #52
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
I have about 17k on my current front tire now and think it will be good for another 2-3k miles, got 22k out of the last one, I don't tend to wear them down to the bone. My current rear has 10k and looks almost new, I've gotten nothing but great mileage from these tires and I currently have 61k on the bike. BTW my first front tire cupped after 11k miles and was replaced, unfortunately for me it was before HD started the recall and I was impressed with 11k miles now I know how many miles you can really get. After more than 61k miles it would be hard sell for me to switch to a different tire, I've been nothing but impressed with these tires from wear to performance, extremely predictable no sudden breaking lose or anything like that, for the job their designed to do it's the best tires I've had.

BTW nothing has seemed to change after upgrades but I'm not a bar hopper or stop light racer.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #53
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I have about 17k on my current front tire now and think it will be good for another 2-3k miles, got 22k out of the last one, I don't tend to wear them down to the bone. My current rear has 10k and looks almost new, I've gotten nothing but great mileage from these tires and I currently have 61k on the bike. BTW my first front tire cupped after 11k miles and was replaced, unfortunately for me it was before HD started the recall and I was impressed with 11k miles now I know how many miles you can really get. After more than 61k miles it would be hard sell for me to switch to a different tire, I've been nothing but impressed with these tires from wear to performance, extremely predictable no sudden breaking lose or anything like that, for the job their designed to do it's the best tires I've had.

BTW nothing has seemed to change after upgrades but I'm not a bar hopper or stop light racer.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm not interested in any other brands after my experience. Nice work, Dunlop!

My oldest brother is eyeing a pair of similar tires for his Wing.

Cakeeater
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #54
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Great write-up, thanks. There's a reason Harley sells so damn many bikes. Their bikes work.

g-
Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #55
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,542
Great thread. Thank you for sharing.

Loving my '11 Softail Deluxe. Celebrating our 1yr anniversary this weekend.

Have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #56
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
I put 1200 miles on my Electra Glide last weekend on a run from Austin through Big Bend in temps ranging from 101 on the boarder, to 37 and rain in Fort Davis as I was heading home.

I had to laugh when on I-20, loaded with a pillion and luggage, both of us in full gear and rain suits passing a trailer with two FJR's a C14 and a scooter.... and Harleys only sit in the garage....

Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #57
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,842
Nice thread.

Gotta say, though, changing the fueling mixture to avoid lean condition and get more HP, AND getting higher fuel mileage seems like a contradiction to me.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #58
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Nice thread.

Gotta say, though, changing the fueling mixture to avoid lean condition and get more HP, AND getting higher fuel mileage seems like a contradiction to me.

im with ya on that one, although it depends entirely on how it is tuned. it might be set slightly lean at highway speed and get some kick ass mileage, and at the same time, depending on throttle position to give max power.

my bike is carb'd, and my 95 turbo eclipse has a piggy back fuel trim computer. things get weird sometimes
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #59
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post
I put 1200 miles on my Electra Glide last weekend on a run from Austin through Big Bend in temps ranging from 101 on the boarder, to 37 and rain in Fort Davis as I was heading home.

I had to laugh when on I-20, loaded with a pillion and luggage, both of us in full gear and rain suits passing a trailer with two FJR's a C14 and a scooter.... and Harleys only sit in the garage....

Love the pic!

I saw a lot of this in my last two-way jaunt across the country. I saw Harleys being trailered...but I also saw as many (or more!) bikes being trailered..

I was polite. I just wagged my finger at them...not my middle finger.

Again, in my nearly 5,000 mile ride across the county in October, I'd guess on the open road it was 80 percent harley, 15 percent Wing, and five percent other.

Cakeater
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #60
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Double darksided on the ToadWing. Never again will I put a motorcycle tyre on the back of my Wing. Another reason I would consider the newer HD touring rigs is that the wheel is large enough to take a car tyre. Mine is a run flat and looks new with 15,000 miles on it. the wear pattern on many such bikes (heavy weight tourers) is right down the middle. I can lean into turns and while many of my friends thought for certain I would burst into flames and die a horrid death because of this choice I made...Well, I have not and will not. The front tyre is a made to fit the rear of some bikes and again, I have no problems with it and some have reported getting 25,000 miles out of this tyre.

For those that worry I am going to turn this into a debate on darksiding a bike, fear not. I will erase my words after a while and those that ride big tourers and are happy paying for a rear tyre that last less than half as long and costs three times as much may do so.

I wish I could get a new bike like the Road Glide Ultra. I am so used to a frame mount fairing now with my Wing and while I find the style of an E Glide to be gorgeous, I am more smitten by the Road Glide Ultra.

The Toad
I can see the lure of the dark side. With the Dunlops, I don't see the need, at this point. I think naysayers of the Darksides are just worrywarts. Car tires seem fine for the back of heavy touring bikes.

I'm gonna go with another Dunlop. Maybe in another 20,000 miles I'll go Darkside.

As to the Road Glide Ultra: it is a terrific bike. So much personality, so much room to stretch out. It's like a trusty dog...it has its flaws, but it's very very enjoyable.

Cakeater