Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what does UTBDR stand for?
http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...26-Documentary
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

I bought the map/DVD combo and watched the DVD just to get a taste of what I was in for. I also loaded up the free tracks which saved my a$$ because without a GPS and those tracks I would have gotten really lost and probably run out of gas even though I have a 300 mile range. One of the gas stops was closed when I got there so I was on fumes (still had 1/2 gallon in my agri-tubes) when I got to the next gas stop. I used the map to mark my progress as I went. Because I was solo I decided not to do any of the alternate "expert" tracks. Since I was going North to South and the route is laid out on the map South to North, I was a little surprised that over 5 days and 800+ miles I only met three other riders and they were just doing a day ride. They were locals going North on KTM's (990's and a 950SE) and warned me that just up a head that I was in for a really tough section on my Wee-Strom. They even recommended that I not try it because even on their KTMs it was tough go. It was a tough section that cut through an extremely rocky area, but I made it even on my "inferior" machine. Still there were a few sandy areas that tested my ability to maintain forward progress and where I wished that I was on my 450EXC rather than the Wee-Pig. I started the trip on a new set of K60s and airing down did help a little, but I was really wishing for TKC80s at least on the front. In a couple of sections were the sand was finer than baby powder I sunk in up to the rear axle and had to dig my way out. And at times, I may have had to go a little slower and exert a little extra effort, but overall the Wee did it's job. More pics to follow.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,567

Nice ride, good to hear your bike kept up with your plans.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great road on the way to Natural Bridges

Stealth camping on a beautiful mesa overlooking a scenic valley

One of the three Natural Bridges

And another Natural Bridge

Just entering Monument Valley area. There is more riding to be had here than I had time for.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771
When Cainer and I were out there last month we wanted to ride at least some of the UTBDR, but after encountering just a bit of deep sand decided it wasn't going to be any fun on my loaded KLR and his loaded 1150GSA so far from home. Seems maybe we were looking in the wrong places and should have toughed it out and ridden a little further down the trails. I hope he forgives me to not wanting to push it, when apparently it would have been okay..

Looking forward to all the pics you've got from this..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
When Cainer and I were out there last month we wanted to ride at least some of the UTBDR, but after encountering just a bit of deep sand decided it wasn't going to be any fun on my loaded KLR and his loaded 1150GSA so far from home. Seems maybe we were looking in the wrong places and should have toughed it out and ridden a little further down the trails. I hope he forgives me to not wanting to push it, when apparently it would have been okay..

Looking forward to all the pics you've got from this..

John

There was an area on the Butler map that had the deep silt sand marked on the route. This was at the southern most part of the route. It took me about 2 hours to go that 10+ miles and my front tire was more of a rudder than anything. Not fun, and had I known it was that bad I would have re-routed. Your buddy should buy you a cold one. You did the right thing.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
There was an area on the Butler map that had the deep silt sand marked on the route. This was at the southern most part of the route. It took me about 2 hours to go that 10+ miles and my front tire was more of a rudder than anything. Not fun, and had I known it was that bad I would have re-routed. Your buddy should buy you a cold one. You did the right thing.
Yeah, it looks like it would be a spectacular ride on my DR350. I worry that when I biff on the KLR (and I will biff) that it will be me that breaks. Perhaps the answer is to just haul the DR out there one of these days. So much beautiful country to see. Keep the pics coming!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another one of Monument Valley

Cars on the right one and people on the left one And a long way to the bottom

North Rim of the Grand Canyon very scenic and not as nearly as crowded as the south side

I was told that the haze is pollution. It seam to me that all the pictures I took had some haze in the mountains.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another shot of the North Rim

These last three are of the Vermilion Cliffs area. Headed to Durango and then on home to St. Louis.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Southmt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Thanks for posting! Great photos, looks like a great trip.
Southmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 629
Thanks for sharing!! Good report!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 402
Nice job on the report and pics. Looks like it was a great trip
10 Yammie FJR 1300 10 Wing
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,097
Great Pics

I will help you out on locations of a couple, as these are in my back yard almost.
Gates of Lodore, Browns Park Colorado--Green River. John Wesley Powel lost one of his boats inthere in 1869 at Disaster Falls
This is right by the old 2 Bar Ranch

The Dugway road going to the Yampa Bench and Echo Park
This is fun going up in the rain!

Echo Park Road, just above Whispering Cave
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
spectacular! Solo ride...I'm green with envy
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 979
DVD and maps?

If you have the touratech video and butler maps, i'm in the market.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote