Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #14641
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
OK gents, as you may recall some pages and pages earlier I said I will make luggage system myself for my Tiger to get it within 85 cm WITH panniers and there was doubt. Eventually I bought LeoVince can I wanted and it was time to do luggage.
So I took same old panniers I had - plastic off Aprilia Pegaso.
Then I found in corner of my garage remains of Suzuki Bandit Givi luggage system, namely 2 rounded frames with everything cut off them. Then I went to local DYI store to buy 2 meters of small diameter pipe meant for water I think. Thick walls.

This is result so far. Fabrication complete/ What left is what I hate most - in "American Chopper" it happens by magic :) - cleaning welds (I am "gorilla" welder with sticks and small invertor), cleaning all, prepping, painting etc.

Results: width with 2 panniers exactly 850 mm. Handlebar is 870 because of handguards. Voila.
With stock exhaust I could fit it in 890 mm. Racks are symmetrical (perhaps because of exhaust they do not appear so on picture, but measured symmetrical).
For unexplainable reason Photobucket turns one photo upside down. Beats me.

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #14642
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
OK gents, as you may recall some pages and pages earlier I said I will make luggage system myself for my Tiger to get it within 85 cm WITH panniers and there was doubt. Eventually I bought LeoVince can I wanted and it was time to do luggage.
So I took same old panniers I had - plastic off Aprilia Pegaso.
Then I found in corner of my garage remains of Suzuki Bandit Givi luggage system, namely 2 rounded frames with everything cut off them. Then I went to local DYI store to buy 2 meters of small diameter pipe meant for water I think. Thick walls.

This is result so far. Fabrication complete/ What left is what I hate most - in "American Chopper" it happens by magic :) - cleaning welds (I am "gorilla" welder with sticks and small invertor), cleaning all, prepping, painting etc.

Results: width with 2 panniers exactly 850 mm. Handlebar is 870 because of handguards. Voila.
With stock exhaust I could fit it in 890 mm. Racks are symmetrical (perhaps because of exhaust they do not appear so on picture, but measured symmetrical).
For unexplainable reason Photobucket turns one photo upside down. Beats me.

Excellent work mate they look great
Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #14643
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
so what are some good, year round, all terrain tires?? i ride year round so need that year round!
Can't beat the Heidendau K-60's. stick like glue in the twisties, aggressive enough for most off road, except mud. Front screams a little over 60 MPH (ear plugs fix that). I saw in the pix of a few LA2bVegas practice runs that some were running the K-60's even in the deep sand washes.
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #14644
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
so what are some good, year round, all terrain tires?? i ride year round so need that year round!
There are lots of tire threads over in the equipment section. My vote is the TKC 80 front and back.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #14645
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:

Good job!

You could've tacked things in place and, then, had a shop do the finish welds.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #14646
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Good job!

You could've tacked things in place and, then, had a shop do the finish welds.
Sure, but...I am in wrong country for that any kind of work like that is very expensive here and to be honest everyone using MIG welders "quick weld" which usually means shallow welds and not very strong. Ideally it should be done with TIG, but when I mention TIG here rare shops that do it getting that "builders spark" in their eyes accompanied by money-counting-gesture
Belgium is no more industrial it seems
If I'd be in US or UK I would not think twice and do it for sure.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #14647
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure, but...I am in wrong country for that any kind of work like that is very expensive here and to be honest everyone using MIG welders "quick weld" which usually means shallow welds and not very strong. Ideally it should be done with TIG, but when I mention TIG here rare shops that do it getting that "builders spark" in their eyes accompanied by money-counting-gesture
Belgium is no more industrial it seems
If I'd be in US or UK I would not think twice and do it for sure.
I didn't know that. Too bad.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #14648
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Can't beat the Heidendau K-60's. stick like glue in the twisties, aggressive enough for most off road, except mud. Front screams a little over 60 MPH (ear plugs fix that). I saw in the pix of a few LA2bVegas practice runs that some were running the K-60's even in the deep sand washes.
considering i got well over 60 most of my riding, this could be an issue lol I use my bike to commute everyday to and from work doing a lot of freeway so i need good road tires... from i've read and research done... they don't exist to have both..
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #14649
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Impressive work man!!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #14650
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
In Search of the Right Tires

Quote:
You'll be interested in this. http://socal-overlander.blogspot.com...ght-tires.html
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #14651
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post

+1 on the FullBores. Just love 'em.

American Moto Tire now carries them as well. >$150 for a set.

They come from a modified mold of the 705 from Shinko, but different compound. The 150 rear is a V-rated radial.

Sure, they won't last as long as a K60, but hook up as well on and off and basically half the cost. Plus everyone complains about mounting and dismounting the K60's and the M40/41's are a piece of cake. Knob height is slightly less as well. Did I mention they are half the cost?

browneye screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 09:30 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #14652
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

They come from a modified mold of the 705 from Shinko, but different compound. The 150 rear is a V-rated radial.

Sure, they won't last as long as a K60, but hook up as well on and off and basically half the cost. Plus everyone complains about mounting and dismounting the K60's and the M40/41's are a piece of cake. Knob height is slightly less as well. Did I mention that are half the cost?
Yes its pretty good for a general tire and for the price its pretty awesome. Its not perfect but gets the job done for sure. Also a thread on here has some false information such as they are made in China. Not true. Obviously not everything you read on ADV rider should be believed. Different agendas at work for sure.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #14653
flyfishbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
amsoil. what a difference

can't believe what a difference putting amsoil in my bike made. shifts so much smoother and runs quieter. i'm sold. ran motul till now. not going back.
flyfishbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #14654
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Sure, they won't last as long as a K60, but hook up as well on and off and basically half the cost. Plus everyone complains about mounting and dismounting the K60's and the M40/41's are a piece of cake. Knob height is slightly less as well. Did I mention they are half the cost?
I put a set of Conti Motion, on my 1050. The tread is definitely shallower than the premium priced stuff, but, I gave $197 for the set. I usually pay that much for just the rear, with premium tires. Obviously, I'm going to get less mileage out of them; maybe half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Yes its pretty good for a general tire and for the price its pretty awesome. Its not perfect but gets the job done for sure. Also a thread on here has some false information such as they are made in China. Not true. Obviously not everything you read on ADV rider should be believed. Different agendas at work for sure.
I thought the aforementioned Conti Motion were made in Germany, since they're Continental. But, they're made in Malaysia. At first, I was concerned. However, I've ridden most of the summer two-up. There might be a 1/4" of "chicken strip" left. Other than tire life, because of the reduced tread depth, I've got no complaints about them.

Strangely, I was on AMT's site, yesterday, looking at Full Bore's 120/180 offerings ($170 set). I was, also, looking at Michelin's Pilot Road 3, as they offer a "special" two-up rear tire that I'm curious about. I just have to get over the price difference and remind myself that they'll probably last twice as long as the cheap stuff. Unlike, a lot of motorcyclists, I'm willing to experiment with the off-brands, on the street.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #14655
BiganDaft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78

this is my Tiger, slightly customised, but it works for me
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote