Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #76
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
There is some truth to that. Life insurance takes care of the tuition. Less hard to deal with as a 20-something than a ten year old.
That is as incorrect as you can get..!!..my wifes little sister and 2 brothers were in there 20's when there parents passed it is not any easier at all.

Somebody else posted about things being discussed thats what I don't get..when you are getting married don't things come up.?..do that many people think they are going to change the other one..?..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #77
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
This has got to be the saddest thread in all of ADV. Clearly, very few people have any idea what marriage truly is anymore, and clearly have no value for it. It seems like a lot of the guys on here use motorcycling as a way of running from their problems and god forbid their wives call them on it! Riding a motorcycle is great, it's a blast and I love it, but at the end of the day it's just a hobby and it's not what's most important in life, do you think your GS or whatever's coming with you when you go? Being man has nothing to do with telling your woman what you will and won't do, it's about being strong enough to love well, to lay your life down for your wife and family, even if that means motorcycles, and to confront your problems head on instead of hopping on your bike and pretending they don't exist.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #78
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
This has got to be the saddest thread in all of ADV. Clearly, very few people have any idea what marriage truly is anymore, and clearly have no value for it. It seems like a lot of the guys on here use motorcycling as a way of running from their problems and god forbid their wives call them on it! Riding a motorcycle is great, it's a blast and I love it, but at the end of the day it's just a hobby and it's not what's most important in life, do you think your GS or whatever's coming with you when you go? Being man has nothing to do with telling your woman what you will and won't do, it's about being strong enough to love well, to lay your life down for your wife and family, even if that means motorcycles, and to confront your problems head on instead of hopping on your bike and pretending they don't exist.
Just a hobby? Wut are you outta yer mind?
Ride'in is everythang; a necessity, cheap joyful transportation, therapy... And be'in a man is lay'in yer pimp hand on any nasty skank that getz between you 'n yer scooter.
I told mah sister that the bike is the center of mah universe, and she's down with that, so I dun married her.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #79
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Or a staunch Liberal married to an extreme Conservative.

I think one problem is that many times a woman gets married and intends to change the man's ways, and the man gets married and assumes that the woman will always be the same. Eventually: kaboomity.

--Bill
Pollobabe met me when i arrived to the state on a bike. That is all.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #80
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Riding a motorcycle is great, it's a blast and I love it, but at the end of the day it's just a hobby.
Luckily I am married to a wonderful woman who understands that motorcycles are far more than a hobby. Riding and wrenching on bikes is not something I "do", riding and wrenching on bikes is part of who I "am".

I have crashed and been laid up for weeks and never once was the subject of me not riding again come up. She has only has given me two demands in our 12 years together. I never ride w/o a helmet, and after hitting a deer and getting hurt pretty bad, that I never own another XB12X. (Not the bikes fault, I know, but a pretty simple demand to meet)

If someone has a spouse in their life that tells them "you can't do XY" I am sure there are other issues involved.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #81
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
ANY person (male or female) that attempts to squash the dreams and desires of their mate should be kicked to the curb. It should be discussed and if the dream squasher does not relent then there is no point going forward with the relationship.

Cut your losses and move on. No sense dragging out the inevitable.
This is the gist of it, folks.

A relationship should have mutual respect going on, and I don't see it too often in relationships. One tries to bully the other, and a lot of times, men are cowed by their wives' demands. That's BS. When your partner tries to get their way by bullying, it's time to re-evaluate whether or not this is a person you want to be with. BTW...Women don't respect a spineless candy-ass, and they don't usually find men attractive when they don't respect them. They WILL also test you, continuously, to see if you still have a pair, whether they do it consciously or otherwise.

Being a man isn't about bullying or always getting your way, but a man SHOULD have some balls, instead of being afraid of his woman, his momma, what others think of him, or life itself.

BTW...If you can afford a fancy new bike every few years, you can afford a used KLR/DR, gear, and a decent amount of medical/term-life coverage, so at least your family isn't put in a financial bind if you wreck. Be responsible.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 12:09 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #82
turnenem
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsquid View Post
I got lucky-my wife likes guns, bikes, hot rods, and most everything else. If I could get her to like pussy as much as I do it would be perfect!
Better watch what you ask for!
If she liked pussy as much as you do she may not need you anymore
turnenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #83
1200gsadv
GEMINI

Oddometer: 4
My wife does not like bikes, and she didn't like guns either when I met her. I own lots of both, and I agree with the earlier statements about living your life. I took my wife shooting and even got her to take an NRA ammunition reloading course...now she gets it and wants her own gun. Same with the motorcycle situation. Which she still isn't happy about, but I just bought two more bikes. And yes I love her more than the bikes, but I want both.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #84
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,307
Quote:
I guess "d" stands for "downer?"

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #85
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,903
What the hell is "LOVE WELL" and" LAY YOUR LIFE DOWN".I'm sorry but you're not going to be a good person if you have to sacrifice a passion for the happiness of someone else. More likely ,miserable. There would have to be a hell of a good reason to forbid an Artist to paint, a Writer to write but somehow no more hunting,biking,fishing etc are open season for women. Most times its as simple as jealosy and insecurity by both sexes when such demands are made.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #86
Minisquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnenem View Post
Better watch what you ask for!
If she liked pussy as much as you do she may not need you anymore
I used to worry about that but its been over 20 years now and she still won'
t try it!
1980 KZ1300
1983 TT600
1948 country squire
Minisquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #87
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Luckily I am married to a wonderful woman who understands that motorcycles are far more than a hobby. Riding and wrenching on bikes is not something I "do", riding and wrenching on bikes is part of who I "am".

I have crashed and been laid up for weeks and never once was the subject of me not riding again come up. She has only has given me two demands in our 12 years together. I never ride w/o a helmet, and after hitting a deer and getting hurt pretty bad, that I never own another XB12X. (Not the bikes fault, I know, but a pretty simple demand to meet)

If someone has a spouse in their life that tells them "you can't do XY" I am sure there are other issues involved.
This.

I was nearly killed in a wreck last November, and was barely able to walk until mid-January. Since then I've ridden close to 20,000 miles with easily 10,000 of that with either my wife or my daughter on the back with me. There was never any question or discussion about whether or not I (or we) would ride again. Anyone who knows me knows that riding is an integral part of who I am. Not as important as being a husband or father, but it's up there.

Had my wife not understood and accepted who I am (a rider), we would never have gotten married.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #88
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I ride everywhere I go. In hi-viz clown outfits. So I get lots of people telling me that they've always wanted a motorcycle 'but the wife won't allow it.' I'm not sure if so many men are really this pussified that they can't do what they want to do, or if they are just making excuses.

what do you do when guys say this to you? commiserate with them? tell them to grow a pair of balls and take charge of their lives? tell them to divorce the domineering beotch and enjoy the rest of their lives?

Beats the shit outta me. I had to run an errand for my wife the other day. Told the guy at the store, someday I'm gonna grow some balls and tell the old lady to run her own damn errands, but until then can you help me with this list of stuff?

Honestly, I do what I want, she does what she wants, I wouldnt have it any other way.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #89
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I ride everywhere I go. In hi-viz clown outfits. So I get lots of people telling me that they've always wanted a motorcycle 'but the wife won't allow it.' I'm not sure if so many men are really this pussified that they can't do what they want to do, or if they are just making excuses.

what do you do when guys say this to you? commiserate with them? tell them to grow a pair of balls and take charge of their lives? tell them to divorce the domineering beotch and enjoy the rest of their lives?
  1. It's an excuse
  2. It's called compromise - likely really wouldn't have ridden much, IOW if they really wanted it they would have got it.
  3. Their really pussies and the wife rules every aspect of their life

In any event, you'll never know the truth except whatever it is - it is their fault and their choice. It's not the wife's fault because you know what - they chose her and should have seen that coming.

Generally I don't say anything. I get it is one of the above and it isn't my business which it is. I talk bikes and move on. I don't judge them in any event.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #90
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
I would just tell them that the current crop of bikes is great and to pick up a biker mag (rider or whatever) and give it a read.
This gives them something they CAN do and might plant the seed of an idea. Maybe that seed grows into a pair?

My wife knows I ride and i pretty much do what I want as long as it is planned out and doesnt conflict with something she already planned. We have separate finances so her Juut salon and Starbucks habit doesn't pinch into my Ducati and bicycle habit.
I don't bitch at her for spending $180 at the salon and she doesn't ask how much I spend at the Duc shop :-)
We do have a kid and we both have big insurance policies. Because I ride and mtn bike and generally could get myself killed and her because her family history is all heart disease and cancer. She is good looking, but the next guy might not like my kid being in the picture. Me, I'm decent enough looking but my tolerance for other people is very low, so my dating success would be limited to sluts and no real relationship, so ill need that insurance ;-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote