Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #70171
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 713
My DR had a Yuasa AGM in it when I bought it 4 years ago and it is still going strong.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #70172
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
Speaking of dead batteries, the stock battery on my 2009 DR is about wore out, I think.

What's the collective's judgment on the best replacement battery for these bikes? Somewhere along the line I seem to recall reading that the best replacement battery was oddly enough the OEM battery.

Is it worth getting an AGM or whatever battery? One of my main concerns is that I don't want a battery that's going to leak acid all over and turn my motorcycle frame into Iron Soup...

TIA for any advice guys!
http://www.tristatebattery.com/produ...roducts_id=973
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #70173
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Any north Florida DR riders here? I just picked up a 2003 for commuting and I think I have a nightmare on my hands. I want to go back to stock, I have the stock carb but it has the Pro Cycle jet kit, Twin Air filter and a stock "drilled" pipe and cut airbox. If you have 100% stock carb kit, airbox, filter and pipe please trade me.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #70174
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Shorai batteries are Lithium Iron, not a gel battery.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #70175
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
Question

have you try one to see wheather it charge up well?
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #70176
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Any north Florida DR riders here? I just picked up a 2003 for commuting and I think I have a nightmare on my hands. I want to go back to stock, I have the stock carb but it has the Pro Cycle jet kit, Twin Air filter and a stock "drilled" pipe and cut airbox. If you have 100% stock carb kit, airbox, filter and pipe please trade me.
You want to go back to stock?

What is the jetting it's running at the moment?

Should be a 145 main and 3rd or 4th from top clip on the needle.

I loved my TwinAir, drilled pipe, ProCycle jet kit and cut airbox.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #70177
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
have you try one to see wheather it charge up well?
i had a shorai in a f650gs dakar & it worked great!! really odd that on cold mornings it wanted to sit with the light on for 30 seconds or so to warm up before starting, but that seems to be a trait on the lithium battery. they are half the size of a standard battery & weigh only a couple of pounds, if that.
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #70178
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,980
Thanks fellas. After perusing your links and doing a Google search of advrider (way better than the in-house search functionality BTW) I decided that if I need a battery (I'm hoping this one might just need some water and a charge) the 10.5 Ah AGM Motobatt MBTX9U for ~ $67 is the way to go.

I appreciate your help.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #70179
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Thanks Derek and ERS70S-2 this is just what I was looking for. Be a nice winter project to get it running well for next season as well as a little general education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
... I was born on the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no inclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls

Chief Ten Bears 1867
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #70180
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Why not just rebuild the carb if/as needed and tune it properly?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #70181
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Speaking of dead batteries, the stock battery on my 2009 DR is about wore out, I think.

What's the collective's judgment on the best replacement battery for these bikes? Somewhere along the line I seem to recall reading that the best replacement battery was oddly enough the OEM battery.

Is it worth getting an AGM or whatever battery? One of my main concerns is that I don't want a battery that's going to leak acid all over and turn my motorcycle frame into Iron Soup...

TIA for any advice guys!
I have used two OEM batteries and had great luck with both. Over 2.5 years on both. I gave my original away, its still going in buddies bike (so it's now 6 years old). The other I have on a Tender as a back up, near 100%. I replaced it with a battery from Batteries Plus which was more money, not as good. Avoid. OEM is better, cranks faster, lasts longer.

You may find something a few bucks cheaper than OEM but I think I only paid in the $50/$60 region from Babbit's Suzuki for my OEM batt.
Deals are out there for OEM batteries. Shop around for Suzuki dealers online.

The OEM is a sealed, MF (maintenance free). It's Made In Japan by Furukawa, FTX9-BS. As good ... or better ... than anything out there. Is shipped with Acid pack, so you activate it when you get it. (which I much prefer as initial charge is important to do right)

The new Lithium/Iron Shorai seems to be a step up; new tech, smaller, lighter package. More money but should out last stock Battery by double or more. Great in super cold, holds charge well. Does not need to be on a charger. The perfect travelers battery.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #70182
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,598
Antigravity batteries are the new hotness. Lot more CCA then the Shorai, better warranty and made in the US instead of China. Of course they're more expensive as well $179 for the 98 + DR's

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #70183
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,006
Any of you fellas know if it is possible to disable the low beam rocker switch thereby making it a headlight shutoff switch ? In other words, high beam position headlight on, low beam position, headlight off.
?
Thanks,
Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #70184
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Thanks fellas. After perusing your links and doing a Google search of advrider (way better than the in-house search functionality BTW) I decided that if I need a battery (I'm hoping this one might just need some water and a charge) the 10.5 Ah AGM Motobatt MBTX9U for ~ $67 is the way to go.

I appreciate your help.
I had a Motobatt on my Husky TE610 and really liked it. Especially the 2nd set of terminals was really nice.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #70185
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Any of you fellas know if it is possible to disable the low beam rocker switch thereby making it a headlight shutoff switch ? In other words, high beam position headlight on, low beam position, headlight off.
?
Thanks,
Frank
Sure, its possible, but you'll be giving up a high beam or low beam depending on which way you decide.

Your headlight should be a 3 prong plug. 1 wire is ground, 1 is low beam, & 1 is high beam. The easiest way assuming you don't mind missing the high beam is just cut the high beam wire. You'll have no light on high beam, but will still have one on low.

Now if you really want high beam to be the "on position" and low beam to be off you'l you'll have to take the high beam wire and put it on the low beam part of the light and remove the low beam wire. That will mean your little blue high beam indicator will be on anytime you are running the low beam.

BTW, they do make switches with an off position that allow you to retain your low/high beam, but also have an off position too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote