ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #6001
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DrtSqtr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ponchatoula,LA
Oddometer: 146
WOW now thats bad Azzzzzz......
Dang another thing i want to get for my 690.....
I knew i should of left the computer off...lol
looks great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Cant wait!



DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #6002
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prairies...
Oddometer: 223
No Start

Posted a few pages back on my woes, and they have gotten worse...this is just me venting, more or less

Took my KTM to a Non-KTM dealer to get 15K inspection done (late), thought I'd give em a try and save me time

Vavles I were told were good, rode home (New chain, sprocket) and it hesitated at intersections, then stalled when I got home for the first time ever, owned since new.

Test rode later, same thing. Called shop and they picked it up for me to give it a look. (They forgot to re-install the front screw holding the airbox lid, but it was secure to the boot) I was gonna do the 15 min reset (never did it before) but could not get it to idle for more than 8 minutes

Shop picked up bike, and couldn't find any error, other than at low idle same as me so I said bring her back, I'll put a few miles on it like it is then, benefit of the doubt maybe it'll work itself out, or something will break definatively, and that'll make it easier to troubleshoot

Bike was dropped off while I was at work, went to start it the next day, and NO START, hasn't ran since. They will be picking it up again this week, and most likely trucking it to the nearest KTM dealer (who only deals with smaller bore KTM's, but will take a look at it)(

So, to try and make my life simpler, end result uhh, not so much! So I ripped into it today, I've never even had the airbox off this thing before, last inspection was through a KTM dealer here that has since closed down

I've found 3 wires that had the insulation worn through to the point I can see copper. Wires not looking damaged though, so I taped and reset them in proper places.

Pump I'm sure is fine. It sounds the same as always, and is sending fuel properly. No spark methinks somehow. Of course I DON'T HAVE THE PROPER FRICKEN PLUG WRENCH. A problem I will soon rectify. Always assumed one of the many I have would fit.

Plug wire is good. May have just fouled the beast? New plug, will try a new battery as this one is crankin soft, but only as a result of trying to start in on and off the last couple days. Have a charger on it, but it is the original battery (2010 690 R)

Anywho....not intending to be negative, just posting so that when it does get fixed, by my hand or the next, I'll post what it was so it may help someone, sometime.

Have fun riden y'all., I'm not...

Bike is awesome, and has never skipped a beat prior to this. That's the gamble of gettting someones elses hands in there, who knows what happened at the shop. A simple remap may be all it needs. Just gotta find someone that can first! Or invest, hmmm....


Not blaming the local dealer either, they seem to be good folk, and part of this experiment was to support the local economy, and hope to find a good shop in the process.

Ride safe,

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #6003
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
what I used when I changed my bearings.
yeah thx for the advice WUNDERKINDER, i'll use a blunt wood drift or something....it's not a big deal now that i know it is removable.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #6004
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer
 
ramjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Super F'd Up N. California
Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Can't wait! ...
What are the downsides to the air intake being routed like that-affect performance? Watercrossing concerns? What else had to be moved? The stealth gallonage is very intriguing.
__________________
Fundamentally transforming a KTM..
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #6005
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
What are the downsides to the air intake being routed like that-affect performance? Watercrossing concerns? What else had to be moved? The stealth gallonage is very intriguing.
I had 20% less fuel mileage when I had the Unifilter vs the stock air box. The performance was quite nice though. Not as loud as the Twinair filter on the front of the air box.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #6006
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez
 
dirty_sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Louisiana, Baton Rouge
Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I had 20% less fuel mileage when I had the Unifilter vs the stock air box. The performance was quite nice though. Not as loud as the Twinair filter on the front of the air box.
I remember you mentioning the mileage drop while running the open UNI POD in a PM response to me, but do you think the mileage drop was due to having a thirsty map loaded?

The UNI double pod inside of the stock box is the route I decided to take at your suggestion.

Good suggestion.

Dirty
__________________
No, really, the mustache means I love you.
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #6007
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
I remember you mentioning the mileage drop while running the open UNI POD in a PM response to me, but do you think the mileage drop was due to having a thirsty map loaded?

The UNI double pod inside of the stock box is the route I decided to take at your suggestion.

Good suggestion.

Dirty
With the open Uni Pod you pretty much have to have a thirsty map otherwise you will run her too lean. With the stock snorkel you can keep her close to stock on the map if you want the efficiency.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6008
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
With the open Uni Pod you pretty much have to have a thirsty map otherwise you will run her too lean. With the stock snorkel you can keep her close to stock on the map if you want the efficiency.
I ran the Uni foam filter with the stock box/ snorkel, and fmf Q4 pipe. No remap was necessary, just the 15 min reset...
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #6009
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I ran the Uni foam filter with the stock box/ snorkel, and fmf Q4 pipe. No remap was necessary, just the 15 min reset...
This was the exact setup on my old bike. The new one is the same but it has an LV pipe but I am now running Frankenstein map I put together. A touch richer on the top end but sip sip sip when you are cruising. seems to work out nicely.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #6010
Oz-Strom
Still trying
 
Oz-Strom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Oddometer: 760
Air filter discussion

There is some recent airfilter discussion here too
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...57040&page=260
__________________
Cheers
Graham
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #6011
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 908
What kind of oil do you think is best?













No recent posts.....have we solved all the 690 issues?


C'mon, somebody out there have a complaint or a pic of their new rally fairing held on by industrial velcro?
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #6012
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 908
waiting on Crank. dont want to give up on the 690 but................
Im sure this will fix the problems............throwing money away anyway if I dumnp it now
and
there is nothing out there I want to replace it with...........bikes and beer are my only vises that cost $$ so I can have almost anything ....just dont see it.
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #6013
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 971
front tire quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post


C'mon, somebody out there have a complaint or a pic of their new rally fairing held on by industrial velcro?
Okay, I've got a complaint...

I have been through a metric shit ton of tires on my bikes and usually once I find a set that works for a particular bike, that is all I will ever buy for it again. Here lies the problem: I've run all sorts of non-dot tires on the 690 and the michelin HP4 front was the only one I ever truly liked (yes Bobzilla I ran an m12 already and it chunked like none other). I've run quite a few DOT fronts including: mt21, d606, k760, motoz h/t, motoz s/t, motoz x-circuit and probably more that I can't remember... ALL of the DOT tires sucked!

Being that my current motoz s/t (my least favorite tire in any on or offroad situation) is ready for the dumpster, it is time to experiment some more. I've been really curious about the pirelli 486 https://www.denniskirk.com/front-sco...re.p643248.prd and have found no reviews/ input whatsoever, anyone here ever run one?

I ride the 690 like a dirtbike and don't care too much about mileage (as long as it last at least as long as a non-dot knobby on the rear does) and very little about onroad handling. The vast majority of the terrain that I ride is very hard packed with sharp/loose rocks on top and coarse desert sand. The only front tires other than the 486 that are currently on my radar are the dunlop 908 and the michelin desert and I've never run any of these.

So what says the 690 brotherhood? Stick with the non-dot HP4 or try the p486/ d908/ or m desert?

P.S. somebody buy my uprated (9.0) rear spring in the flea market so I can afford a new tire!
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #6014
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Okay, I've got a complaint...

I have been through a metric shit ton of tires on my bikes and usually once I find a set that works for a particular bike, that is all I will ever buy for it again. Here lies the problem: I've run all sorts of non-dot tires on the 690 and the michelin HP4 front was the only one I ever truly liked (yes Bobzilla I ran an m12 already and it chunked like none other). I've run quite a few DOT fronts including: mt21, d606, k760, motoz h/t, motoz s/t, motoz x-circuit and probably more that I can't remember... ALL of the DOT tires sucked!

Being that my current motoz s/t (my least favorite tire in any on or offroad situation) is ready for the dumpster, it is time to experiment some more. I've been really curious about the pirelli 486 https://www.denniskirk.com/front-sco...re.p643248.prd and have found no reviews/ input whatsoever, anyone here ever run one?

I ride the 690 like a dirtbike and don't care too much about mileage (as long as it last at least as long as a non-dot knobby on the rear does) and very little about onroad handling. The vast majority of the terrain that I ride is very hard packed with sharp/loose rocks on top and coarse desert sand. The only front tires other than the 486 that are currently on my radar are the dunlop 908 and the michelin desert and I've never run any of these.

So what says the 690 brotherhood? Stick with the non-dot HP4 or try the p486/ d908/ or m desert?

P.S. somebody buy my uprated (9.0) rear spring in the flea market so I can afford a new tire!
I ran the MotoZ HT's front and rear in MX and they worked well.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #6015
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I ran the MotoZ HT's front and rear in MX and they worked well.

I've run the H/T's already and while the rear worked pretty good, the front just didn't seem to have enough "bite." The rear worked good for the wide open stuff but the x-circuit rear had the advantage in both cornering and longevity so that will definately be my next rear tire.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to (keep in mind this is only in regards to the front tire) pirelli 486, michelin desert, or dunlop 908. Of these tires, how do they fair for my described terrain?
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015