Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #1486
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Weird cause http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040 shows a 16 Front & a 49 Rear
Er, the 16/34 are the internal gears not the sprockets.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #1487
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
I checked both Bike Bandit parts and World of Triumph and the Tiger 800XC first gear is 34T - not 37T.
Sure is. That's more reliable.

This is from the TriumphRAT forums:

(Please GOD let this be the image, my firewall at work won't let me see it and if it's wrong I'll look like an even bigger dork...)

-T
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #1488
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Emailed Leo Vince about a USFS approved spark arrestor for a Leo Vince Big EVOII slip-on for my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Their reply:

Hey Perry,

Sorry for the delay. I found the spark arrestor for the Tiger 800 pipe. This is a sound insert with a spark arrestor screen in it. We have them in stock. It would be $52 to your door. If you would like to get one on order, just give me a call. Have a great day!

Part # 307587801R

Just thought I'd share.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #1489
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Emailed Leo Vince about a USFS approved spark arrestor for a Leo Vince Big EVOII slip-on for my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Their reply:

Hey Perry,

Sorry for the delay. I found the spark arrestor for the Tiger 800 pipe. This is a sound insert with a spark arrestor screen in it. We have them in stock. It would be $52 to your door. If you would like to get one on order, just give me a call. Have a great day!

Part # 307587801R

Just thought I'd share.
Yes, an extra charge on top of the exhaust. They should include it.

I got one, put it on the bike and it would not fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. Eanie meanie miney moe....racks trumped. I was f'ing pissed. Sent the can back.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #1490
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I had the same problem on my baby beemer. Dropped a tooth in front and upped it two in back. Does a lot better in the dirt. Not so good on the highway as I lost at least a 1000 rpm. 70mph seems like a strain now.

However the tiger seems like it could loose 1000rpm and still do fine at 70. Does fine now at 80 anyway.
Hi there, i do not own a tiger yet but i do plan on buying one very very VERY soon. Biggest thing is i love dirt but i do a lot more freeway, so with this mod... does it affect vibrations of the engine being at higher rpms? and from stock gearing how is it off road?

thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #1491
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I put on a 15T front sprocket yesterday afternoon. What a difference!! No more clutch feathering on take off. I did a short ride in the evening to see how the bike felt.

It runs about 300 rpm higher at any particular speed. I can't report on fuel consumption, but my estimate is that I am getting a little bit less mpg. The bike runs so great now, I really do not care about the mpgs. Maybe if I was doing a long trip with a lot of highway, I would change it back to the 16T.

I know it will be better in the hard stuff now in the Sierra. I hope to find out this weekend...

JG
i'm looking into getting an xc soon but freeway is my concern... why did you change the gearing on it... was the bike not pulling enough on stock? how are the top speeds before and after the mod?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #1492
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
The bike pulls just fine, but first gear feels a little tall. It takes just a little more slippage to get going than ideal. And it's also bothersome at low speed crawling, like when you have to pick your way through rocks. 15T just makes it feel more "right".

Don't misinterpret this as the bike not having enough power. I've left stoplights in third gear without too much drama, after forgetting to downshift.

On the highway, it's a few more revs, but no more vibes. The bike is smooth all the way up to redline. You'll get more vibes from your tires, depending on which ones you pick.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #1493
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
For "trial" riding I think the the Tiger is geared too high with stock gearing. And by trail I mean very rough stuff or single track. If you are just talking gravel or two track forest road it does just fine.

The bike pulls at 80mph fully loaded with luggage and the missus with no problem. So powerwise, lower gearing would not be a problem. As for the vibrations, its hard to say with all the wind you get at 80. I do plan to drop the front a tooth when its time for a new chain. I dont think I'll do the rear sprocket however.

You have to make decisions and compromises. A bike set up for trail riding is just not going to be a good road bike and vice versa. Thats just the way it is.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #1494
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
For "trial" riding I think the the Tiger is geared too high with stock gearing. And by trail I mean very rough stuff or single track. If you are just talking gravel or two track forest road it does just fine.

The bike pulls at 80mph fully loaded with luggage and the missus with no problem. So powerwise, lower gearing would not be a problem. As for the vibrations, its hard to say with all the wind you get at 80. I do plan to drop the front a tooth when its time for a new chain. I dont think I'll do the rear sprocket however.

You have to make decisions and compromises. A bike set up for trail riding is just not going to be a good road bike and vice versa. Thats just the way it is.
that's perfect because i will be pull a miss (not missus yet ), and luggage. so you're saying it pulls no problem with stock or 15T in the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
The bike pulls just fine, but first gear feels a little tall. It takes just a little more slippage to get going than ideal. And it's also bothersome at low speed crawling, like when you have to pick your way through rocks. 15T just makes it feel more "right".

Don't misinterpret this as the bike not having enough power. I've left stoplights in third gear without too much drama, after forgetting to downshift.

On the highway, it's a few more revs, but no more vibes. The bike is smooth all the way up to redline. You'll get more vibes from your tires, depending on which ones you pick.

Oh i know you weren't sayigng the bike lacks power! just gearing is very important for the perfect amount of pull. Now is switching the front sprocket easy on the tiger or is it a pain?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1495
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Oh i know you weren't sayigng the bike lacks power! just gearing is very important for the perfect amount of pull. Now is switching the front sprocket easy on the tiger or is it a pain?
Go back a page and start at post #1476 for some helpful hints.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #1496
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Laugh Selector ....

Take this for what it is worth, but, wouldn't it be cool to have a low and high range gear on the output of the transmission.

It could be a manual dog on a slide that selects to final drive ratios. One that is higher for street, and a lower one for crawling. And if you are in the lower one, reduce power output.

Either way, I can't see me going a tooth lower on the counter shaft, that would instantly add ~6.3% to the bikes mileage, and reduce the accuracy of the trip computer.

But that's just me.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #1497
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Either way, I can't see me going a tooth lower on the counter shaft, that would instantly add ~6.3% to the bikes mileage, and reduce the accuracy of the trip computer.
Just a quick FYI: on ABS models, the feed to the speedo, odo, etc., is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor ring, not the countershaft. Changing final drive ratios on the ABS models has no effect on the speedo/odo.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #1498
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Just a quick FYI: on ABS models, the feed to the speedo, odo, etc., is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor ring, not the countershaft. Changing final drive ratios on the ABS models has no effect on the speedo/odo.
Interesting, I am surprised that with all the regulatory crap for compliance AND testing (V&V) it would be worth duplicating the effort for speed and distance measurement to save the price of a sensor on the countershaft.

Further, it would, if even so slightly, increase the complexity of a safety system.

I am not saying I don't believe it, I am just falling back on years of embedded engineering, with some medical device expertise, with a little bit of knowledge on what countries (well and states, namely California) make automakers do to be able to sell vehicles in their regions.

Further, then to remove that sensor from the engine, you would then have 2 different versions of that engine to manage. So throwing in my experience as manufacturing, that is a lot of expense for a $0.50 cent part. Just say'n.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1499
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
TLR, your over thinking what Triumph did with the speed sensor. They only made non-ABS in the first run 2011 & some 2012. They just used the 675 speed sensor & left it out on the ABS model. Now they only make ABS T8s so all of them have the same speed sensor.
I can verify that dropping a tooth on the front sprocket does not affect the speedo/odo. I tested it out with my GPS.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #1500
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
TLR, your over thinking what Triumph did with the speed sensor. They only made non-ABS in the first run 2011 & some 2012. They just used the 675 speed sensor & left it out on the ABS model. Now they only make ABS T8s so all of them have the same speed sensor.
I can verify that dropping a tooth on the front sprocket does not affect the speedo/odo. I tested it out with my GPS.
Hey, I get paid decently to over think dam it!

So, for the '12s, if there is only a single configuration (ABS), then I can see doing that. But for the previous year where this is a mix, hmmm, depends on what all needs to be done for each configuration. The regulatory component might have been the same either way.

Still sadly, I would actually like a tooth higher on the HWY :-)

And darn it, I like the idea of the final drive selector.