Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #61
collie man
mo fire!!

Oddometer: 339
hey baja dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I have a Broker and Wherehouse in Calexico that is 5min from the Mexicali Border and 15 min from the NORRA Host Hotel that we can use

Im thinking of entering this race also,but dont have a clue which way is up or down at this point. im wondering if you can PM me with details of the race or send me links etc. i have checked out the site but am still in the dark so to speak. is this a team race? solo deal or what? i am also interested in your logistics layout for bikes and people to and from the race,and seeems as if you have done 29 of em already then,YOURE THE MAN hahahah i tried to pm you but it doesnt work for whatever reason,so please clue a brother in please,hope to hear from you soon..where you at in norcal anyway..hope all is well bro....bless
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #62
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
Colle rasta..
it is solo or team race. Entry is close to 1700.00. Good to have some bro's chase you down in a capable preferably 4x4 so you can party before during and after....but if solo then Baja dad program will help especially if you have not raced before as he knows baja and what to expect... You need to read up on rally timekeeping perhaps on http://rallymoto.com/ .. remember you now need a passport to travel into and out of Mexico.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #63
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Colle rasta..
it is solo or team race. Entry is close to 1700.00. Good to have some bro's chase you down in a capable preferably 4x4 so you can party before during and after....but if solo then Baja dad program will help especially if you have not raced before as he knows baja and what to expect... You need to read up on rally timekeeping perhaps on http://rallymoto.com/ .. remember you now need a passport to travel into and out of Mexico.
and chasers should get an FM3 BEFORE ojos negros, i.e. the border before starting the race....

I hear.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #64
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and chasers should get an FM3 BEFORE ojos negros, i.e. the border before starting the race....

I hear.
NO this is wrong information!

FM-3 is a visa for residing in Mexico for 1 year. A simple Tourist Visa obtained at the border is what you need. Bajabound (a great insurance company to use) explains it all here:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Normally the only place your tourist visa is checked is at the Guerrero Negro checkpoint (southbound only) or at the airport if you fly out.

You will need a passport to get the Tourist Visa, but other than that you don't need one to get into Baja. Although you are supposed to have a passport with you when returning into the USA, I have NEVER herd of anyone not being allowed back in to the states without one. Sure you might have to go to secondary inspection, and you might be delayed a little bit, and you will get a bad attitude from the Border Patrol/Customs guys but fuck those assholes anyway! Jajajajajaja!

Strong Bad screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 02:31 PM
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #65
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
NO this is wrong information!

FM-3 is a visa for residing in Mexico for 1 year. A simple Tourist Visa obtained at the border is what you need. Bajabound (a great insurance company to use) explains it all here:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Normally the only place your tourist visa is checked is at the Guerrero Negro checkpoint (southbound only) or at the airport if you fly out.

You will need a passport to get the Tourist Visa, but other than that you don't need one to get into Baja. Although you are supposed to have a passport with you when returning into the USA, I have NEVER herd of anyone not being allowed back in to the states without one. Sure you might have to go to secondary inspection, and you might be delayed a little bit, and you will get a bad attitude from the Border Patrol/Customs guys but fuck those assholes anyway! Jajajajajaja!
wow, I messed that up all the way. thanks!
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #66
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
wow, I messed that up all the way. thanks!
I've got a bunch of friends with property in San Flippy, some are there full time some only part time, I have heard all of the problems involved with getting a FM-3.

The passport to get back into the USA has been in effect for several years. Multiple times since then I've had guys in the truck with me who "forgot" their passports. They show their drivers license and we are sent on our way without even going to secondary inspection.

I have NEVER been asked for anything but a drivers license when stopped going into Mexico and that is only when stopped to check the vehicle registration papers of the bikes we were bringing down.

I have been busted at Guerrero Negro for not having the Tourist Visa, we gave them stickers and they let me go. If you are really worried about it and don't have one, there is a dirt road east of the highway.......... However, if you got in an crash on the highway and you were drivng, you better have one along with your insurance papers or you will go to jail.

Been doing this since the Baja 1000 was still a NORRA race.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #67
adam81
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A noob here. I plan on running the 2013 event. I live in Savannah, GA. I would love to be a part of a team for a couple reasons. 1. I will need a lot of help..... 2. I don't have a lot of money.... 3. I need help setting up a bike, or rent one.....I don't have one right now.... What does that mean? If you feel the deep desire to be a mentor and can use a capable body for all sorts of random needs and tasks than this could be the start of a beautiful relationship.... Please contact me if you have some room on your team and can babysit me.

Note: I am not completely worthless. Far from it. I just don't have long distance rally/race experience, and no desert experience (racing a motorcycle in the environment). That's where I need some guidance.

I look forward to learning more about these sort of events and being part of this great community. After some of the reading and research I think I should fit in well here!
adam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
I could put somthing together , There would have to be a small fee to cover the fuel cost and to take of the support crew.
The rider could SKIP paying for Mag 7 save that fee and put to the ADV Support Truck and crew!!!

here is somthing I have been working on:
This is a ROUGH draft and no cost has been determined yet

It is all in the planning stage. Price would depend on the event and what bike you would want to ride
I hope to do this and be able to support 4-5 bikes ( that means 4-15 riders)
Ironman,Two rider team.Three rider team.

I am thinking of setting up a Main support truck with two crew members to work on the bikes at the
end of each stage so the Rider can relax and have fun.
maybe also a few chase support trucks for Transfer stages
The Support Truck will also have Water & Power aid and some light food snacks on it for the riders

The level of support would start off with:
Stage 1.You ship out Your Race ready Bike .( you only have to pay for Support help
includes Team T-shirt and Race Jersey ( you could also get new Race pants and Rally Jacket for an extra fee)
Stage 2.
includes Team T-shirt and Race Jersey ( you could also get new Race pants and Rally Jacket for an extra fee)
Stage 2.
Fully raced Preped bike.
example: KTM 450,525,640 or Honda 450x 650r ( this could change)
GPR Steering Stabilizer
Supersprox Sprockets
DID O-ring Chain
BRP Chain Block
Full race skid plate
Pro Taper bars with AME Grips
Acerbis Rally Guards
F2R Road Book with thumb switch
1-ICO
Acerbis or IMS LARGE fuel tank depends on the bike
Seat Concepts Rally seat
Twin Air race filters
Fuel for the race bike during the Event ( Depends on the event. someStops at the local Pemix maybe needed)( AS Mad Mike Gaynor did this past race.)
New Tires with HD Tubes ( the brand is still up in the air)
( you could use Bib Moses on the race bike for an extra fee)
The rider can request Items that can be added (extra fee)

The support Truck will have some spare parts and spare Tires ( you would only pay extra for what you used)
The crew members would do all mantaince on the bike each night and change tires if needed
(Sat phones could be also handed out for each bike for an extra fee)

This is somthing I have been wanting to do again since back in the early 90's when i ran my own company called
Baja race Prep. I use to prep Bikes for a lot of riders that came from all over the world to Race the BAJA 1000

Please give me some feed back
Thanks Mark
Very interested in your Stage 1 support during the race but I also need help prepping my bike. Sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #69
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
two way radio

I am sure this question has been answered before, but nothing is really comming up in search. I am looking to buy a bike to pit radio and was wondering what is the best and most rugged unit in the market that you desert racers use.

Thanks

Edit: found this after posting the question http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590143

toro618 screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 11:37 AM
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #70
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I am sure this question has been answered before, but nothing is really comming up in search. I am looking to buy a bike to pit radio and was wondering what is the best and most rugged unit in the market that you desert racers use.

Thanks

Edit: found this after posting the question http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590143

Doug Mackenzie is located in Upland California (818) 621-6081
Tell him Mark sent you!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #71
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Doug Mackenzie is located in Upland California (818) 621-6081
Tell him Mark sent you!!!

Thanks, I will call him. I am not familiar with that name....what is the company?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #72
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

I stand by what I said in the other thread. Save your money and keep it simple, bike to chase radio is not worth the cost and complexity. Your pits are all done between special stages there is little to be gained by talking to a racer 2 or 3 min before he gets to the pit. Also, you will find radios will add to frustration when they don't work out as expected.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #73
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I stand by what I said in the other thread. Save your money and keep it simple, bike to chase radio is not worth the cost and complexity. Your pits are all done between special stages there is little to be gained by talking to a racer 2 or 3 min before he gets to the pit. Also, you will find radios will add to frustration when they don't work out as expected.

I agree that during a race keeping it simple is best....the last think I want is a damn ear piece, which will probably fall off anyway, and a PTT harness swinging between me and the bar. I want to use it in trail riding/training, but wouldn't mind having one in my back pack during a race just in case.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #74
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I agree that during a race keeping it simple is best....the last think I want is a damn ear piece, which will probably fall off anyway, and a PTT harness swinging between me and the bar. I want to use it in trail riding/training, but wouldn't mind having one in my back pack during a race just in case.
I would think a SAT phone would be more useful than a radio.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #75
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I would think a SAT phone would be more useful than a radio.
And you would be right!