Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #1366
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I've been using 11 mil climbing rope for the past 25 years or so, only switching to straps two years ago when I bought my Hennessy. Recently (because I had a coupon) I bought an ENO Doublenest along with a set of their Slap Straps for my daughter. The first time I used the straps, I felt that it was much better for setup than the Tree Huggers. I was going to order a set of their Atlas Straps to replace my Tree Huggers but based on the photo above, now I am not so sure.

Are there straps like the Slap Straps or the Atlas Straps (i.e., same principle) that are better/wider/better construction?
IIRC, the Kamock Python straps are like the Slap Straps without the stretch. Don't know what the width of the strap is though.
http://www.kammok.com/product-p/11003.htm

What I like, for simplicity, is an OnRope1 Cinch Buckle and Webbing strap with a biner or Dutch Clip. Setup is toss the strap around the tree and clip on the biner, stretch the hammock to the other tree, toss the strap around the tree and clip on the biner then pull the webbing to center and set sag. I've got my HHED setup with 1" buckle and straps. Would like to move to a wider strap to reduce the pressure on the tree as OnRope1 has a 1-3/4" cinch buckle and webbing but Dutch doesn't make a clip that wide. I would think that a biner would constrict a 1-3/4" strap a bit much, unless I could find a rectangular wire gate biner rather than the angled biners that common

MeanMoe screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 04:50 PM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #1367
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,349
Thanks Moe!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #1368
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Here

YAAK
Snr Moment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #1369
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Thanks again!

Bgdaddy had a warbonnet 1.7 set up at the Nottarally using Kammock straps and I had a chance to hang for a bit. Very nice! Much larger than my modified Hennessey. The Slap Straps that I used stretched bad enough that it took three nights and numerous re-tightening to get rid of the stretch. The idea seems sound but the materials leave a lot to be desired.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #1370
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,755
I used it the following weekend in Birmingham also.

The weather was so nice I didn't even need to use a tarp.

BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #1371
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,088
I'm a convert,or will be.I hope to start gathering materials for a DIY gathered end Speer knock off.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #1372
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

After hanging for seven nights out of the past 10, I've decided to toss my bed in the bloody trash and hang a hammock in my loft. While talking to my daughter tonight I realized that last night I woke up around 0430 in enough pain that I had to take meds for it and yet, not once in the 7 nights that I hung did my back bother me enough that I needed to drug it into submission.

Now if I can just convince the insurance company to pay for it..........

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #1373
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Have any of you used products from D&D Hammocks?

I am specifically interested in their Frontline Hammock and XL Tarp.

Most importantly, how is the quality?

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #1374
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Have any of you used products from D&D Hammocks?

I am specifically interested in their Frontline Hammock and XL Tarp.

Most importantly, how is the quality?
I don't use DD, but I have essentially the same hammock 10th Wonder Hornet which I like a lot. The nearly identical, and from what I've heard, the quality is similar as well. There are some stitches that are wonky and some are a little frayed, but only in places that it doesn't make much difference. I actualy use the hammock sleeve made by DD which fits my Hornet like a glove. It's definitely not a lightweight hammock, but if you're planning on carrying it on the bike, I think it's a good deal. I would plan on swapping out the suspension they send with the hammock though. I use polyester webbing and climber's descending rings attached with a loop of amsteel. Many prefer tree straps and whoopie slings. I wish I had some pictures, but it was completely under my tarp at the last rally...not much help...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #1375
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
I started my hanging with a DD travel and their 4x3. No complaints, it's a simple, heavy-duty hammock. But my wbbb is more comfortable - more space, softer material. Still use the tarp though. And the uq they have as well.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1376
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Well I could not find anyplace in my yard to set my hammock up so I rigged up some 2x4s for support in my garage. Wife is not real big on it but man have I take some great naps the last few days, I get into a real deep sleep real fast in that thing.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #1377
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN View Post
Well I could not find anyplace in my yard to set my hammock up so I rigged up some 2x4s for support in my garage. Wife is not real big on it but man have I take some great naps the last few days, I get into a real deep sleep real fast in that thing.
When I first got my Hammock I thought it would be great get in, relax and read a book.. Can't get passed the relax part.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #1378
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Hey Tom,
I can recommend a DIY portable stand shown on hammockforums.net. The Turtle/Dog stand can be made from 6 2x2's, a length of chain link top rail and some hardware. Two gate hinges are used to create two tripods and the top rail becomes a compression member, holding the hammock out to full length. Many report that the stand can be made for ~$50 us.

I made mine from 2x3's that I had on hand from a shed project. I cut the legs down to 6.5' to give me a good floor to hammock height when getting in/out. I vary in weight from 225 to 250 depending on the season and it holds me just fine. If you want to make the stand car portable, you cut the top rail in half and use the swaged ends for the center connection. It's not motorcycle sized but will work well for a temporary hand in the back yard.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #1379
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Hey Tom,
I can recommend a DIY portable stand shown on hammockforums.net. The Turtle/Dog stand can be made from 6 2x2's, a length of chain link top rail and some hardware. Two gate hinges are used to create two tripods and the top rail becomes a compression member, holding the hammock out to full length. Many report that the stand can be made for ~$50 us.

I made mine from 2x3's that I had on hand from a shed project. I cut the legs down to 6.5' to give me a good floor to hammock height when getting in/out. I vary in weight from 225 to 250 depending on the season and it holds me just fine. If you want to make the stand car portable, you cut the top rail in half and use the swaged ends for the center connection. It's not motorcycle sized but will work well for a temporary hand in the back yard.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #1380
speedysheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Do you have a link?
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51787