Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #1696
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I used to live down the road from a shop with a dyno so I dynoed my bikes (1998 Bandit 1200S, 1998 ZRX1100, 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1) before and after installing slip-ons/ full exhausts. The dyno runs showed good gains without making other changes. Yes, I got even better improvements when I changed the fueling and air filter but the initial gains were still pretty good. Those are facts...

It's critical to do before and after runs on the same dyno, same day. If you didn't do that, you won't have an accurate baseline to judge change.

Btw, had Akra slipons on my 2005 TDM900. Moved so I never dynoed it at that shop but they definitely woke the bike up. Switching back to stock for inspection and the bike felt strangled, especially at the top end. Akra didn't become an incredibly successful premium exhaust maker by publishing bogus dyno data...
All those bikes you mentioned that improved with a new exhaust are at least 10 years old or more. Maybe back then you'd see an improvement but today's stock exhausts are pretty damn good at flowing exhaust gas, they have to be. Only reason to change an exhaust IMHO is for sound or a small weight saving, but hey lets face it, most of us on here could produce a lot bigger weight savings going to the gym, me included.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #1697
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
All those bikes you mentioned that improved with a new exhaust are at least 10 years old or more. Maybe back then you'd see an improvement but today's stock exhausts are pretty damn good at flowing exhaust gas, they have to be. Only reason to change an exhaust IMHO is for sound or a small weight saving, but hey lets face it, most of us on here could produce a lot bigger weight savings going to the gym, me included.
The lighter you are the heavier the bike feels
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #1698
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Check. Today's fuel injections and ECU's does s*ck big time in comparising with 'Old Skool Carbs'.

PS I don't wanna loos weight...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #1699
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
The lighter you are the heavier the bike feels
Not really. The weaker you are the heavier a bike feels. The fatter you are the worse you make the handling ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #1700
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
My TDM was 7 years old, my Dakar is 6. Both benefited from slip-ons. Didn't dyno them but felt a clear difference in performance. Doesn't matter if new bikes can flow exhaust better, they are still restricted for noise and emissions reasons.

I also like having a louder than stock bike, makes lane-splitting safer...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1701
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Insurance companies really need to hire a few knowledgeable riders for classifying bikes. When Jodie owned her Ninja 650 (the parallel twin) our regular insurance company wouldn't insure it, we had to insure through our high risk carrier. I asked about a Ninja 500 and Ninja 250, nope won't insure them, they say "Ninja", they're a sport bike. Granted the Ninja 250 and 500 "look" like sport bikes they are definitely NOT high risk like a liter class Ninja or 600 supersport. Really stupid and uninformed decisions being made but should we expect anything better from an insurance co.

Agree

My Varadero's insurance is less than my DL650 insurance, because the DL is a sport's bike. Huh?!?!

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1702
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
First Crosstourer in the pearl of the orient.

congrats!
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #1703
ricochet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
congrats!
Thanks for the compliment. Here is it now with the farkles

04 1200C Montauk (SOLD)
03 Piaggio X9 Amalfi(SOLD)
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #1704
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I'm in agreement that Honda USA is out of touch with many of us moto riders.

I just returned from a trip which included some time in Hastings, England. I walked into the local Honda dealer and after a great conversation and some time looking on the showroom floor, I picked up the Honda Adventure pamphlet....

CrossTourer
XL1000V Varadero
CrossRunner
NC700X
XL700V TransAlp
XL125 Varadero

Now, look up the Honda USA site and see what we can buy........the ancient XR650L or the Summer release of the NC700X.......

The Brits told me that the Varadero will likely be discontinued and the USA has never seen one through a legitimate dealer.

What a joke!

I rode my XR650R's for a long time and modded them extensively but Honda will not see another of my dollars anytime soon.......

A $6000 pound 2008 Varadero with 3900 miles.........

A $13,750 pound, brand new CrossTourer 1200 on the showroom floor..........notice the CrossRunner behind it.........

With a stronger dollar at today's exchange, that's around $22,000 for that bike......not what I giwould consider a great value either...
This thread is giving me migraines.......and I can only hope that HONDA is reading it as closely as KTM is reading the 1190 thread......they photo shopped a header dent away when it was pointed out in the thread.....C'mon you effn'g HONDA execs..........I already have multiple KTM's in my shed.....and I know there's a bunch of US(ofA) who would have HONDA's instead of the few options we currently have................

Keep calm and carry on.....we now return you to your regularly (non USofA) scheduled thread........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #1705
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
Thanks for the compliment. Here is it now with the farkles

That looks sooo good! My choice of colour too. And I think that case looks great on it.

:-)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1706
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hey that's lovely looking in white!

I would advise anyone who likes or dislikes the CrossTourer to take it out a test-ride for an hour or two. It's bloody amazing, my next bike for sure!!!!!

The engine (and bike) is an utter peach, so smooooooth! God I'm in love.
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #1707
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmac View Post
Hey that's lovely looking in white!

I would advise anyone who likes or dislikes the CrossTourer to take it out a test-ride for an hour or two. It's bloody amazing, my next bike for sure!!!!!

The engine (and bike) is an utter peach, so smooooooth! God I'm in love.
There are many over here on the other side of the Pond that would like nothing better than to get a test ride.

Still waiting, Mother Honda...
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #1708
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
here's a vid from today, it's a bit scrappy and so is the riding but it's a start - akrapovic pipe
http://www.youtube.com/embed/OWiyuCL5uy0

droid screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 08:19 PM
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #1709
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Sounds great droid.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #1710
Cruz