Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #76
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
And you would be right!
for once. Is it true that during the Baja1k, you can relay messages from pit to pit?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #77
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
for once. Is it true that during the Baja1k, you can relay messages from pit to pit?
There are ways of relaying messages from pit to pit. If you are racing a cage and using BFG tires and pits, BFG Relay will relay a message for you via radio. Sometimes you can do the same with FAIR pits, however if you aren't using those pits you are SOL. I suppose you could try to use Weatherman on 151.625 but good luck with that cesspool. You may be able to relay messages through the Honda pit system. Messages should be very important, short, and concise otherwise you will be ignored. Cell phone text messages commonly get through when there is spotty to very poor cell service. Oh wait, this is NORRA not SCORE. I know of no way to relay messages from pit to pit in NORRA like those mentioned above in SCORE.

Strong Bad screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 03:39 PM Reason: Duh I forgot we were talking NORRA
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #78
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
Quote:
Cell phone text messages commonly get through when there is spotty to very poor cell service.
GSM (telcel) (voice) coverage along the 1 was excellent to good mostly, to a few spots where there was NONE for several miles. Data outside the bigger cities was nil, but the 3g network is growing. La Paz had data, Ensenada of course, Bay of LA and Loreto didn't..... a few other places in between has 1x data.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #79
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
There are ways of relaying messages from pit to pit. If you are racing a cage and using BFG tires and pits, BFG Relay will relay a message for you via radio. Sometimes you can do the same with FAIR pits, however if you aren't using those pits you are SOL. I suppose you could try to use Weatherman on 151.625 but good luck with that cesspool. You may be able to relay messages through the Honda pit system. Messages should be very important, short, and concise otherwise you will be ignored. Cell phone text messages commonly get through when there is spotty to very poor cell service. Oh wait, this is NORRA not SCORE. I know of no way to relay messages from pit to pit in NORRA like those mentioned above in SCORE.
Right, so the radio makes better sense for the B1K but no sense at all for the MX1K. Mike, Jeremy and myself would have been better off if we had SAT phones but only because all the oil drained out of my bike
Old 10-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #80
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Right, so the radio makes better sense for the B1K but no sense at all for the MX1K. Mike, Jeremy and myself would have been better off if we had SAT phones but only because all the oil drained out of my bike
a SPOT with batteries in it could have been useful too.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #81
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Due to terrain issues alone a Sat phone is much better than a radio for bikes in Baja. If you rent a sat phone be sure to get the external antenna for the car, otherwise when driving the phone will ring and you will lose the signal before you can pull over, get out, and answer the call. Also top tip for using with the regular antenna is don't wander around while talking and make sure that while talking the antenna is straight up to the sky, not straight up from the phone (at 45 degrees to the sky). Sat phone signals are so weak they can be a pain in the arse.

A spot tracker is only good if someone is following on a computer. If you have someone back in the states following along they could then try to get a hold the chase crew's cell or sat phone.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #82
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
You mean the one that was bolted on my bike that was working....oh, you meant the one you had?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #83
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Due to terrain issues alone a Sat phone is much better than a radio for bikes in Baja. If you rent a sat phone be sure to get the external antenna for the car, otherwise when driving the phone will ring and you will lose the signal before you can pull over, get out, and answer the call. Also top tip for using with the regular antenna is don't wander around while talking and make sure that while talking the antenna is straight up to the sky, not straight up from the phone (at 45 degrees to the sky). Sat phone signals are so weak they can be a pain in the arse.

A spot tracker is only good if someone is following on a computer. If you have someone back in the states following along they could then try to get a hold the chase crew's cell or sat phone.
My Wife was tracking me from the States with the SPOT and it was not very consistent, it would stop for no apparent reason and then start back up again.
Gave Her a scare a few times until She realized that it wasn't to be trusted 100%. Better than nothing though.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #84
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You mean the one that was bolted on my bike that was working....oh, you meant the one you had?
I thought it was off, it hadn't updated since some tight right hander where we presume you went off. I checked it every 15 minutes..... We never talked about it really, I thought it was off....
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #85
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
I thought it was off, it hadn't updated since some tight right hander where we presume you went off. I checked it every 15 minutes..... We never talked about it really, I thought it was off....
No sweat man, just didn't want you giving out more false information in this thread
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #86
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Oh my God. I just found myself agreeing with everything Strongbad posted about radio, spot and sat phone use for a bike in the M1K

I would just add that we got cheap throwaway prepaid cell phones and texting worked really good for communications between our "dispatch" and the chase vehicles. On the bike, we had a hand held radio in the backpack, but the range is so limited it is like having deer whistles....makes you feel good, but probably has no actual effect

A sat phone in the backpack for emergencies is a good idea I think, that and a clear understanding of the use of the Spot tracker and someone actually watching the computer and making calls back home. We had DocSprocket as our dispatcher and he was invaluable with keeping us updated, organized and efficient!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #87
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
WE had both!
A Sat phone on the bike and in our Support truck.
I also had a Race Raido that only is only good for up close contact at this race.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #88
collie man
mo fire!!

Oddometer: 335
thanks for the link!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Colle rasta..
it is solo or team race. Entry is close to 1700.00. Good to have some bro's chase you down in a capable preferably 4x4 so you can party before during and after....but if solo then Baja dad program will help especially if you have not raced before as he knows baja and what to expect... You need to read up on rally timekeeping perhaps on http://rallymoto.com/ .. remember you now need a passport to travel into and out of Mexico.
thanks for the info guys
Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #89
collie man
mo fire!!

Oddometer: 335
thanks

Quote:
NO this is wrong information!

FM-3 is a visa for residing in Mexico for 1 year. A simple Tourist Visa obtained at the border is what you need. Bajabound (a great insurance company to use) explains it all here:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Normally the only place your tourist visa is checked is at the Guerrero Negro checkpoint (southbound only) or at the

airport if you fly out.

You will need a passport to get the Tourist Visa, but other than that you don't need one to get into Baja. Although you are supposed to have a passport with you when returning into the USA, I have NEVER herd of anyone not being allowed back in to the states without one. Sure you might have to go to secondary inspection, and you might be delayed a little bit, and you will get a bad attitude from the Border Patrol/Customs guys but fuck those assholes anyway! Jajajajajaja!
..give thanks for the info and link
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #90
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,141
I talked with Mr. Pearlman a few weeeks ago and he is getting some sat radios for his people to help with comms.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote