Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #7531
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,328
I have two sets of wheels and think it is worth doing despite any accelerated wear.

Right now I can slot in my EXC wheels which have a 1.6" front, non-cush-drive, bigger sprocket and rim locks. All worth having in the dirt.

In the past I had DR-Z250 and I used to change tyres on that, as I commuted on it during the week. It would take me about an hour to change 2 tyres and remove all the road gear. I'm reasonably proficient at changing tyres now! although I still get lots of practice. It was quite a relief to get the second set of wheels with a bigger sprocket and rim locks, made the swap time 30 mins, much less effort and less stress on the tyre beads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

warewolf screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 02:05 AM Reason: Clarification
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #7532
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
I have 2 sets for my 950, would like to have 2 sets for my 640. In fact I swapped them today for a 500 mile ride, back to knobs tomorrow.

Either way, you have to remove the wheels, pop it up on the center stand and go at it, it's nice to leave the tire irons in the tailbag!

Find the right combo and all you have to do is rotate the adjuster blocks for the right combo that doesn't require an adjustment

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #7533
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,786
Just finished the Nav Tower I was building for my 640A ...

I attach some pics here but the posts and the history behind it can be found here ...

The start ...
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=707

And the first prototype
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1009

Never mind the fairing ... it is not bolted as it will be modified to match a more vertical/rallye version ...

Four mini toggles with four led lights ...

Another config above and just the speedo below...

-o0-

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 11:28 PM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #7534
TaxMan

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Just finished the Nav Tower I was building for my 640A ...

I attach some pics here but the posts and the history behind it can be found here ...

The start ...
wow, that's some project, i'm impressed. are those the Chris Barnes (sp?) kevlar covers or did you get them someplace else?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #7535
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Yes, the protectors are indeed from Chris... This is my second set, Carbon-Kevlar mixed... The first set which served me well was pure Kevlar and behaved much better I think ... I have seen somewhere here that Chris does not do them any more or the delivery times are very long which is a shame because the product quality is really good and it really protects the odd petcock ... I will keep this set and if worst comes to worst I will give it to a friend who makes composites to copy it ...

-o0-
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #7536
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Here are the pics from back in 2oo9 when they were new ...

-o0-
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #7537
supercoyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
For anyone interested, he said he might be starting up again at the start of the new year.So just don't drive like a maniac until then
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #7538
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Twice I have fallen and hit something that turned my gas off but didn't break it, some day I won't be so fortunate.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #7539
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
shit that rally mod looks great! As for the tank guards mine are holding up well despite my best efforts to break them
you can just see some scuffage in this pic, both sides have plenty
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #7540
NE14YAH
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New to LC4

Hi guys! First off, I am a new member to AR and new to the LC4. I recently purchased a 98 RXCe 400 with 9500 miles in very good condition . . . runs like a champ and am quite impressed with it's performance! About a month later I bought an identical one with 5500 miles that had obviously been ridden hard and not maintained properly. I paid $400 for it as a parts bike, but I am curiously thinking about rebuilding it into a 620 or 640? Does anyone know if this is possible by just replacing the cylinder and piston only? I would love to hear advice on this, one way or another. Thanks in advance!
NE14YAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #7541
darenb68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
New 06 owner

Hi there, just got my 640 last week with 5500 miles on her. PO put on Akrapovic pipe and a rear Touratech rack. I have added the compulsory headlight guards and the Nuvi Touratech GPS mount. Other than that seems stock. Couple of questions....

The vibration ..... I came "up" from an 08 KLR 650 and am amazed at how buzzy this thing is. I think my hands will give up far before I run out of gas. Any advice on reducing any of this?

Been researching skid/bash plates with the intention of buying one with tool carrying capabilities, only to find the aftermarket segment for this bike seems to have shifted to the 690 Enduro. In searching here, is seems that KTMatt out of Aus makes them and I have sent him an email (without reply yet, but its only been a few days). Any other options?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
darenb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #7542
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,693
Vibes?

We don't call them Vibes.

We call it Nervous Energy.

Seriously, you do get used to them and they tend to bother you as you drone down the hardtop. Offroad, you'll never notice them.

Changing the gearing makes a difference. On my '03, and the '07 you have to find the smooth in the rev range usually around 5k rpm and gear for 70 to 75 on the interstate. I toggled back and forth between a 15/42 and 17/42. I'll drop it down to 15/42 if I know I'll be on some more technical riding but real buzzy on the interstate. Stock is 16/42 FWIW.

Alternating two teeth in the front allows you to flip the rear axle block without having to fiddle with the chain tensioners at all.

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 04:21 PM
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #7543
darenb68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well thanks. My typical riding is 300 or so miles of slab to get to 300 of dirt. I can give up a little on the dirt for an easier tarmac ride.
darenb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #7544
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 639
What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Vibes?

We don't call them Vibes.

We call it Nervous Energy.

Seriously, you do get used to them and they tend to bother you as you drone down the hardtop. Offroad, you'll never notice them.

Changing the gearing makes a difference. On my '03, and the '07 you have to find the smooth in the rev range usually around 5k rpm and gear for 70 to 75 on the interstate. I toggled back and forth between a 15/42 and 17/42. I'll drop it down to 15/42 if I know I'll be on some more technical riding but real buzzy on the interstate. Stock is 16/42 FWIW.

Alternating two teeth in the front allows you to flip the rear axle block without having to fiddle with the chain tensioners at all.

Dirty
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #7545
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,693
They're spendy, but a kako (however you spell it) throttle lock is money well spent which will allow you to shake out that throttle arm to get the tingles out of your fingers here and there.

I bought the '03 640A after I had spent two years reading up on them. I had never even ridden one of these bikes and had never even seen a 640A in real life before I bought the bike. They're huge. I was expecting the vibes I kept hearing about, but I didn't expect the bike to walk across the shop floor while it idled on the center stand. Holy F###@@@K were the two words than I kept muttering on the 20 minute ride home from the shipping company. I was seriously worried about the vibes, dealing with the vibes, the numb fingers.

It's a freaking mean vibrating beast, the 640A is, but that's why we love them.

You're gonna grin your fool head off every time you ride that bike of yours. You'll get used to it, it'll get used to you.

Dirty