Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
So I have what I think is the stock wiring in place. As I've mentioned, there are some questions since the light relay and ignition switch are not clearly marked. I have looked over schematics the last two days and if the ignition and light relay is correct, there is some other issue.

Full ignition position works as it should.

Park position does not. I get the headlight and tail light, and night lights for speedo/tach. But no instrument lights and can't start bike. This position should have no head/tail light, instrument lights on and start bike. Night lights on speedo/tach should not be on.

1978 BMW R100S "bitza" (R80/7 frame)

mspa screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:05 PM
mspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Photos of wiring on ignition and light relay

Ignition wiring:

Light relay wiring:

Circuit board:

Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll call it "good" for now. Wirespokes informed me that I shouldn't be able to start the bike in PARK mode. Makes sense seeing that the key comes out.

Does anyone know if the speedo/tach nightlight should be on in PARK mode?

It seems that the only real issue I have now, aside from being anal, is to figure out why the parking light inside the headlight doesn't come on instead of the headlight.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just found out my parking bulb (12v 4w) is not coming on. I have the fairing back on, so not going to take apart tonight. But can anyone tell me if the headlight will go on in the PARK position if the parking bulb is out? Or should there be no light at all?

I may just open the light up tomorrow and pull the bulb, unless this is a bulb I should be able to find at the local auto store in which case, I should just go buy one first, just in case.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,014
It appears the gauges illumination comes on with the parking lights. It's not something I notice since I don't use the PARK position for anything. And I think it's silly to run gauge illumination during daytime running, but hey, that's where government regulation takes us.

Your headlight relay isn't stock, though it may have the same configuration - only cross checking will tell.

The headlight and parking light (in the headlight) are wired separately.

The funny thing is that it's possible to have the ignition come on in the PARK position with just a change of one or two wires - I believe to the ignition switch. Some PO went to a bit of trouble to come up with this solution.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Headlight on/off

Maybe he did that to be able to start/run the bike without the headlight being on. Not a bad idea if you don't have the option of turning your headlight off with a handlebar switch.
My '77 has the headlight switch but I don't remember if the '78 does.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
smalls325is
RTLW

Oddometer: 83
FuzeBlock...

What if I wanted to remove the fuze panel completely? What I am trying to do is not have any "Accessories," if you will, and only have the following:

1. Start button
2. High beam
3. Low Beam
4. Tail light
5. Stop Light

I wanted to know if I needed the fuze panel or if I could use a FUZEBLOCK type system. This way I can eliminate the panel in the head lamp.
smalls325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls325is View Post
What if I wanted to remove the fuze panel completely? What I am trying to do is not have any "Accessories," if you will, and only have the following:

1. Start button
2. High beam
3. Low Beam
4. Tail light
5. Stop Light

I wanted to know if I needed the fuze panel or if I could use a FUZEBLOCK type system. This way I can eliminate the panel in the head lamp.
Check your messages and send me an email and I will forward a wiring diagram with all the extras eliminated, just what you need to run the bike with basic lights. Timo
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The '78 does NOT have a headlight switch, so I'm guessing that's what the PO did.

I have half a mind to figure out how to do the same, since it would take a load off the battery when starting. The other half of my mind, says just figure out how to get it running 100% stock, since I'm so close to getting it there.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
It appears the gauges illumination comes on with the parking lights. It's not something I notice since I don't use the PARK position for anything. And I think it's silly to run gauge illumination during daytime running, but hey, that's where government regulation takes us.

Your headlight relay isn't stock, though it may have the same configuration - only cross checking will tell.

The headlight and parking light (in the headlight) are wired separately.

The funny thing is that it's possible to have the ignition come on in the PARK position with just a change of one or two wires - I believe to the ignition switch. Some PO went to a bit of trouble to come up with this solution.
I did something similar to my /5 back when-- I swapped a couple of wires on the old-timey switch board for a headlight only(no gauge or running lights) for daytime operation, and full headlight+gauge+running lights at night. No day-to-day wear and tear on the "other lamps" during daytime-headlight-on operation, and saved a few precious watts from the stock alternacator.

--Bill