ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #346
heepey
Lurker

Oddometer: 28
Fort Custer

Just south of Hardin, MT on a gravel road, a marker at the location of Fort Custer (1877-1898).

heepey screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 09:24 AM
heepey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #347
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
heepey... Nice. Looks like the fort was totally swept up by the winds and time.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #348
heepey
Lurker

Oddometer: 28
It was closed and most of the buildings sold or scrapped. The marker is next to the local gun range across from a wheat field.
heepey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #349
Bridge Club
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Kit Hill, lower east side

A view or two from Kit Hill.

Apparently wolfram is tungsten.

http://thebridgeclub2011.blogspot.co...5-wolfram.html

Richard - http://thebridgeclubfive.blogspot.co.uk/
Bridge Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #350
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576

Leavenworth-Pikes Peak Express
Stage line began operating in April 1859 between Leavenworth and the gold fields near Denver. It followed the military road to Fort Riley, then angled Northwest and West to the Republican River near present Benkelman, Nebraska and went up that river until it struck across country once more to reach Denver.
By paying a fair of $125, a person could ride the stage of the Leavenworth-Pikes Peak Express. It had twenty-five stations, located about twenty-five miles apart, with six men and extra livestock at each station.

It was later re-organized and called the Central Overland California and Pikes Peak (COC & PP - Clean Out of Cash and Poor Pay).

The COC & PP was purchased by Ben Holladay in 1862 and renamed the Overland Trail Stage Line.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #351
jay547
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Indian Boundary mile marker, Inola, OK, set in late 1800's. It is on the dividing line between the Creek and Cherokee Nations. As far as I know, this is the last remaining in-place mile marker on this line.

jay547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #352
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
John Colter has a 114 year WAKE

In 1812 the United States declared war on Great Britain, and Colter, a valued Lewis and Clark Expedition member, enlisted. Fighting under Nathan Boone, he died while in service for his country. However, after such an eventful life, he died, not by the hand of the British soldiers or the many Indians he encountered in his travels, but by jaundice.

After his death, his remains were shipped back to Missouri to his wife, an Osage Indian squaw who could best be described as living a "very primitive life" in the plains. Sallie was unable to provide a proper burial. Leaving him lying "in state" in their cabin, she moved into her brother's home.

Amazingly, John Colter's body continued to lie in the cabin for the next 114 years, the house slowly falling to ruins around him. In 1926, the land on which the cabin once sat was being cleared and his bones, as well as a leather pouch portraying his name, were found. Afterwards, his remains were gathered and buried on a bluff in New Haven that overlooks the Missouri River.

Grave Marker of John Colter:

Location of New Haven, site of his grave:

Located a few miles off Hwy 94 on the West side of the Missouri River:

Typical house of the area during 1750's- 1825 along the Missouri River. This replica is in Marthasville, Missouri just a few miles from John Colter's grave.
Vertical pole (log cabins) were typically 10'x10'.

John Colter apparently was laid to rest in a similiar cabin for 114 years before his body was discovered.

More details about Colter if anyone is interested:

John Colter (1774-1812)) - An American trapper and guide, Colter was born in Augusta County, Virginia about 1774. Sometime around 1780, Colter's family moved to Kentucky near present-day Maysville. In 1803, Colter enlisted in the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a private with a salary of $5.00 per month. During the expedition, Colter was considered to be one of the best hunters and scouts in the group, and was routinely sent out to hunt game and scout possible trails.

As the expedition was returning to St. Louis, Missouri in 1806, they were met by two trappers by the names of Forest Hancock and Joseph Dickson, who were headed to the Yellowstone River. Colter, not ready to return to "civilization," was granted a discharge to join them, and the trio began the journey in August.

The next year, as Colter was making his way back to St. Louis, he met Manuel Lisa, and his party of trappers of the newly formed Missouri Fur Company.

Colter was hired to guide them to the mouth of the Big Horn River. Once again, the mountain man turned back leading the party into present day Montana, where they built Fort Raymond on the Yellowstone River, a short distance above the mouth of the Bighorn River.

In October, 1807, Lisa sent Colter out to meet with the the winter Indian camps, alerting them to the presence of the Missouri Fur Company and desire to trade. Though his exact route is uncertain, Colter traveled alone with only his rifle and pack, covering an estimated 500 miles. During the winter, with the help of Indian guides, he was thought to have crossed the Wind River Mountains, the Teton Range, and was probably the first white man to see Jackson's Hole and Yellowstone Lake. Arriving back at Fort Raymond in the spring of 1808, he described the thermal wonders of Yellowstone to the rest of the party, and though most were skeptical of his descriptions, Yellowstone soon became known as "Colter's Hell."

Blackfoot Warrior: In 1808, Colter teamed up with another former member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition named John Potts and the two began to trap in the region near Three Forks, Montana. Both were wounded in a fight with Blackfoot warriors as they led a party of Crow Indians to Fort Raymond. The next year, the men were once again attacked by the Blackfoot and Potts was killed. Colter was captured and amazed when the Indians allowed set him free. However, before doing so, they stripped him naked and took all his possessions. Telling Colter to run, the mountain man quickly realized he was the object of a "human hunt." A very swift runner, Colter eluded most of the group but one man was gaining on him. Turning and facing the Indian, Colter killed him with his own spear, took his blanket, and by hiding in the river under a pile of logs, was able to escape. For the next eleven days, he walked 200 miles back to Fort Raymond with only the blanket for warmth and survived on bark and roots to eat. When he stumbled into the stockade he was almost dead. However, the brave mountain man was nursed back to health.

Still not ready to give up his life of adventure, Colter signed on to lead another Missouri Fur Company expedition to the Three Forks of the Missouri River in 1810. True to past experience, the group was attacked by the Blackfoot again and Colter finally vowed to return to St. Louis. Returning by the end of 1810, he had been away from civilization for almost six years. He furnished very valuable information to William Clark, who was compiling maps for the report of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and with his fur trade profits he bought a farm near New Haven, Missouri. He soon soon married a woman named Sally and the couple would have one son. However his quiet life as a farmer would not last.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 08:56 AM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #353
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
L&C Great info on Colter!!!

That is great information on Colter! Love those guys that really got around the west on instincts and dead reckoning. Colter has always fascinated me. I was in that area in July and went by Boone's place, wish i had done more research before heading up there. I should have know the Missouri River would have been the interstate of their day!
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #354
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Camp Stark, New Hampshire

Northern New Hampshire....

Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #355
Jo.Da.
Viva Los Fazeristas

Oddometer: 232
Monument dedicated to a soldier of the Greek Army (special forces). Lost his life during the invasion in Cyprus, 1974.

When the blues comes calling with it's calling card.''

R o r y G a l l a g h e r
Jo.Da. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #356
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Yep, a real Character.

Colter was assigned a duty of "guarding" their barrell of whiskey.....but got drunk in the middle of the night. Quite often got in fights. Supposedly an excellent athlete (especially running). A loner, after the Expedition, and never stopped exploring. I think he's the one who crawled into a bear den in Washington and pulled out 3 bear cubs to play with the rest of the day. Real character.

I have another thread about him at the top of this thread...with pictures of the marker where he discovered the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Daniel Boone's grave is just a mile or two behind that cabin in Marthasville. And not far from the Daniel Boone Judgement Tree on the Missouri.

LnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
That is great information on Colter! Love those guys that really got around the west on instincts and dead reckoning. Colter has always fascinated me. I was in that area in July and went by Boone's place, wish i had done more research before heading up there. I should have know the Missouri River would have been the interstate of their day!

LewisNClark screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 06:13 PM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #357
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Dinner Anyone?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #358
hh76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
"There were seven democrats... and you ate five of them"

I don't think quotes can get much better than that
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #359
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
When I was a kid we'd stay at Lake San Cristobal for two weeks every summer.

Eventually, my dad bought two crapped out dirt bikes (Suzuki 80 Hillbilly's) for a hundred bucks from the owner of the Golconda Resort. We rebuilt them together and they made the next few trips with us.

One year, a buddy of mine came along and we rode to the Packer Massacre site, just a short distance from the lake, at midnight. Have to say, it was eerie.

Rode those little two-strokes all over the area, stopping to adjust the carbs the higher we went...as I recall.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #360
MrBob
Welcome to Medicare

Oddometer: 7,513
I confess that I'd never heard of the Bannock War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannock_War

This monument is in western Idaho, where I was traveling today.