ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #871
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 75
Garmin connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
I am not certain which cord you have, but Garmin does have a specific motorcycle mount kit. This is the GPS City site (good people!):


http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-6...wer-cable.html

You did not mention what year bike you have, but my 2011 RT has a connector zip tied to the frame by the steering head for the BMW version. You can purchase the BMW Repair connector, solder it to the Garmin lead and attach into the system that way.

Thanks for the reply Doug, now please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is the BMW Repair Connector?
My bike is a 2001 RT and the cable is the Garmin-supplied motorcycle kit with the multiple cable with two bare connectors.

Regards to all C
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #872
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Don't let the clutch out so fast, and remember to add throttle to match the lower gearing. Problem solved.
Doug, i wish it was that simple. I've been riding motorcycles almost 50 years, and have learned every trick in the book to achieve smooth shifts. The best I have come up with for this bike is to blip the throttle as I pull in the clutch, and as the revs begin to fall slightly ease the clutch out as I engage the lower gear. It is a tricky shift that I get right about half the time, the rest of the time is no less a clunk than other methods, to include the one you describe. I had a 09 GS with the same challenge. Mostly this is the 3 to 2 shift. I expect it on the 2 - 1 shift, and going up through the gears is not a problem.

Our gearboxes are famous for being clunky and loud, and we have accepted that as just being the way they are. My question is if that can be a contributor to the high failure rate of the downstream components. The question is still an open one for me.

Other opinions?
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #873
ka5ysy
Doug
 
ka5ysy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Prairieville LA
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Thanks for the reply Doug, now please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is the BMW Repair Connector?
My bike is a 2001 RT and the cable is the Garmin-supplied motorcycle kit with the multiple cable with two bare connectors.

Regards to all C

The "Repar Connector" is the plug with bare wires that matches the socket on the bike. Check with your dealer and see if there is one for your 2001. I am not sure what that part number would be, and if you even have one like the later bikes.

I think your bike is pre-canbus so you should also be able to simply locate a switched 12vdc source and tie into that. GPS's do not use much current, and their wiring harnesses as supplied have an inline fuse, so should be no problem. My personal preference in doing this is to solder the connections and cover with head-shrink tubing for insulation, but I am kinda anal about electrical wiring in motorcycles, boats and aircraft.

Plan B for you would be to simply add a switching fuse block and power the GPS through the block. An example is like this (my setup):

__________________
Doug, KA5YSY

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:20 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #874
ka5ysy
Doug
 
ka5ysy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Prairieville LA
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Doug, i wish it was that simple. I've been riding motorcycles almost 50 years, and have learned every trick in the book to achieve smooth shifts. The best I have come up with for this bike is to blip the throttle as I pull in the clutch, and as the revs begin to fall slightly ease the clutch out as I engage the lower gear. It is a tricky shift that I get right about half the time, the rest of the time is no less a clunk than other methods, to include the one you describe. I had a 09 GS with the same challenge. Mostly this is the 3 to 2 shift. I expect it on the 2 - 1 shift, and going up through the gears is not a problem.

Our gearboxes are famous for being clunky and loud, and we have accepted that as just being the way they are. My question is if that can be a contributor to the high failure rate of the downstream components. The question is still an open one for me. My RT clunks sometime when downshifting with the clutch pulled in. Guess that is BMW "character" !

Other opinions?
Hmm... Is the clunk you are hearing occurring when you press the shift lever with the clutch pulled in? I am not clear if the clutch is pulled fully, or if you are shifting while in the friction zone (some loading in the transmission), which would cause a jerk if the engine speed is not fully matched with the transmission. If you are describing the clunk you hear when shifting with the clutch is pulled in, that is not going to stress the U-joints as the drive line is not connected at that point.

My RT clunks sometime on downshifting with the clutch pulled in fully. Guess that is BMW "character" !

Something you might try is to preload the shifter lightly for the downshift, and without pulling the clutch in, roll off the throttle very slowly and see if the transmisson downshifts smoothly. This sounds silly, but you can do a smooth downshift without clutch if necessary, as easily as upshifts. Most convenient with broken clutch cables !
__________________
Doug, KA5YSY

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:48 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #875
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog
 
LeglessOne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Townsville
Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Hmm... Is the clunk you are hearing occurring when you press the shift lever with the clutch pulled in? I am not clear if the clutch is pulled fully, or if you are shifting while in the friction zone (some loading in the transmission), which would cause a jerk if the engine speed is not fully matched with the transmission. If you are describing the clunk you hear when shifting with the clutch is pulled in, that is not going to stress the U-joints as the drive line is not connected at that point.

Something you might try is to preload the shifter lightly for the downshift, and without pulling the clutch in, roll off the throttle very slowly and see if the transmisson downshifts smoothly. This sounds silly, but you can do a smooth downshift without clutch if necessary, as easily as upshifts. Most convenient with broken clutch cables !
+1
Only use the clutch to stop/start and if i'm not paying attention and stuff up an up/downshift.

Get the odd clunk but generally reasonably smooth for a boxer g/box

Shane


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
I never find a place where I can stay
I'd rather be a thousand miles away.
LeglessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #876
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 84
"but generally reasonably smooth for a boxer g/box"

And that is my point. We know that boxer g/box are generally NOT smooth, and some are much worse than others. I have riden boxers with transmissions that shift nicely, so not all are afflicted, fortunately. I unfortunately have gotten two that are. My K12RS was not Suzuki smooth, but was acceptable. My question is not whether or not they can be shifted smooth with any of the techniques that Doug has described (and yes I've tried them all), but if those bikes with g/boxes that do NOT shift smoothly likely to be the ones with downstream drive train problems.

On this bike and the GS I had before the 3 - 2 shift is not that much different than the 2 -1 shift. Question is still open... if the rather unpleasant "clunk" is a contributor to downstream drivetrain problems. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but to figure out if I should be thinking of finding something else to ride at the 36K warranty expiration point!

I love the boxer motor, and the RT is a fabulous mile eater, but when it gets tight or in slower traffic it is painful!

Thanks,

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #877
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Xdriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 139
I really like the motor on my bike('09), wind protection, etc, but the transmission and dry clutch annoy me each time I ride. I've owned a few bikes at this point, one of which was a GS of the same year. All of those bikes I could get smooth shifts and didn't really think about what I was doing. It was nice. This bike on the other hand is a pain in the ass. Off the line, I have to be cautious not ride the clutch leading to jerky motion from a full stop. Shifting after that is clunky at best. I think a few times it even dropped a gear on me from 6th to 5th. Hoping that was just my foot resting on the shift lever. Probably all user error, but I just can't believe that after 10K I don't have this figured out. Tested a couple HD touring bikes and the shifting was so smooth and easy in comparison. And that right out of the parking lot, first time riding the bike.

I'm about 10,000 miles into this bike. Hope I get better soon.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki C14
Xdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #878
JBADV
searching for sanity
 
JBADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: right here,right now
Oddometer: 3,405
After a '05 GS and a '09 GSA I find the transmission on the '12 RT very smooth.I don't have any problems shifting,up or down.I think the steep driveline angle on the GS/GSA might add to shifting problems.
__________________
The older I grow,the faster life goes.
The more I learn,the less I know.
JBADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #879
Shaun09
Riding the Asphalt Ribbon
 
Shaun09's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Oddometer: 41
Repair Connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Thanks for the reply Doug, now please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is the BMW Repair Connector?
My bike is a 2001 RT and the cable is the Garmin-supplied motorcycle kit with the multiple cable with two bare connectors.

Regards to all C
Try checking here http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=08102012 in the parts fiche under R1150RT (61 Electrical System, 61_2484 - REPAIR CABLE MAIN CABLE HARNESS and 61_2485 - REPAIR CABLE MAIN CABLE HARNESS) where you will find descriptions and photos of the various repair connectors that may be of use.

Cheers!
__________________
Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)
Shaun09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #880
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 75
Thumb Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post
Try checking here http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=08102012 in the parts fiche under R1150RT (61 Electrical System, 61_2484 - REPAIR CABLE MAIN CABLE HARNESS and 61_2485 - REPAIR CABLE MAIN CABLE HARNESS) where you will find descriptions and photos of the various repair connectors that may be of use.

Cheers!
Thanks for the link, I'll keep the page on the iPad and take it to the dealer in Spain where I hope it gets done, I just don't have the time to work on it myself (not that I would be any good at it).
I appreciate the help and will report back.
Safe rides, FR
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #881
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here
 
Emperor Norton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North of Alcatraz
Oddometer: 1,032
Has anyone tried to pair a Schuberth SRC system with the BMW radio on the RT? Is that possible?
__________________
Pics of whatever/where ever http://joee.smugmug.com
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #882
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ.
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Has anyone tried to pair a Schuberth SRC system with the BMW radio on the RT? Is that possible?

No it's not possible. I had the same problem and you will need to return it to your BMW dealer and buy the bmw unit, about $20.00 more. My dealer didn't realize it wouldn't work either. As you found out if you have the NAV IV gps it will match up with the SRC and you can program your Blue tooth cell phone through the gps to work also but the BMW radio system is not compatable through Blue tooth with the SRC.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #883
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here
 
Emperor Norton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North of Alcatraz
Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
No it's not possible. I had the same problem and you will need to return it to your BMW dealer and buy the bmw unit, about $20.00 more. My dealer didn't realize it wouldn't work either. As you found out if you have the NAV IV gps it will match up with the SRC and you can program your Blue tooth cell phone through the gps to work also but the BMW radio system is not compatable through Blue tooth with the SRC.
Darn. Is it possible to pair the BMW radio to the Zumo then the Zumo to the SRC?
__________________
Pics of whatever/where ever http://joee.smugmug.com
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #884
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ.
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Darn. Is it possible to pair the BMW radio to the Zumo then the Zumo to the SRC?

Not that I'm aware of. Talk to your dealer or contact www.Revzilla.com They are a great source of info. They clued me in on the SRC that my dealer sold me.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #885
SinCity_Airhead
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 22
looking to buy a '97 r1100rt next week.100k.New cables,fuel pump and lines,shocks,clutch,60amp alternator(10k ago)
Driveline inspected and serviced last mounth.
i owned the same bike before and to me this is the best one
SinCity_Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014