ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #5611
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks for the explanation, now you mention the recording level I do think I remember when i had the Track recording at a higher rate it was higher than the Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
This is a very commonly reported non issue.

The Trip Computer records track length at a rate of one waypoint per second.

If you have your Track Log set to record more often, your recorded track length will likely be longer than the Trip Computer Odometer reports.

Similarly, if you have it set to record less often, it will likely be shorter than the Trip Computer Odometer.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #5612
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 55
hard enough ?

atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #5613
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Purpose of that?

2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #5614
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by calltrex View Post
Purpose of that?

2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
To make you have to use the sliders on your browser!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #5615
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 434
Getting to know my Montana a bit better. Liking how it leaves my routes alone. Can someone answer 2 Q's my searches have ended up empty on?

1. I always used Mapsource before, but am working with BaseCamp now. In MS, as you built a route, it would keep a running total of it's mileage over on the left side of the screen. I can't find that feature in BC. Is it there?

2. Somewhere in this thread I read that a route AND and track could be displayed at the same time, so that as you are riding, you could see if the route deviated from the track. How do I do this?
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #5616
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
2. Somewhere in this thread I read that a route AND and track could be displayed at the same time, so that as you are riding, you could see if the route deviated from the track. How do I do this?
I'll take a stab at this one.

Create a route in Basecamp, and convert it to a track.
Transfer both the route and the track to the Montana.
When using the Montana, select the track to "Show on Map" and select the track color of your choice.
Navigate using the route, with routing in a color different than that of the track.
The route should show on top of the track.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #5617
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

When using the Montana, select the track to "Show on Map" and select the track color of your choice.
Navigate using the route, with routing in a color different than that of the track.
Thank you. I like having the Zumo-type stuff like arrival time, distance to next turn, etc - - but trust tracks better. To have the two together would be bliss!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #5618
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Getting to know my Montana a bit better. Liking how it leaves my routes alone. Can someone answer 2 Q's my searches have ended up empty on?

1. I always used Mapsource before, but am working with BaseCamp now. In MS, as you built a route, it would keep a running total of it's mileage over on the left side of the screen. I can't find that feature in BC. Is it there?
If you double click on the new route name where it is shown in the list contents on the left side of the screen, a route detail window will come up showing the incremental and total distances among all the rest of the details about the route. That will be updated as you continue creating the route.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 08:21 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #5619
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the distance reported by the 'Trip Distance' & a 'Track' file seem to be approx. 6% different.
They are also both horizontal so will be different than odo if going up or sown steep hills.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #5620
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Quote:

Of course if you were using the Mac version of BaseCamp the Total Milage of the Route you are creating will be displayed on the Status Bar at the bottom of the window. It's updated as you develop the route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #5621
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
discovered the source of my issues

Good day all,
So i have been having an issue with my Montana 600 not showing street, highway or interstate names or only showing a few at a time.... Ive went through all the settings, reset , changed detail, ect ect.... per all the suggestions of everyone here. I got off the phone with Garmin this morning and we did a master reset and i re installed CN2013 woohoo it worked... (for 15 feet). Ablout 45 min later i took my newly installed 600 and tried it out in the car on a trip into town... Crap back to no info.... so while i contemplated on selling this POS I stopped for a quick bite to eat and i thought lets try it not in the rugged mount. Took it out of car mount and turned it on....... perfect all the names appear as they should. I see street names highway names and interstate names, great at least now i know where i am.... I popped it into the rugged mount and BAM!!! names disappeared..... Came home did same experiment on my motorcycle rugged mount same thing.... works great in my hand, put it into the rugged mount and i loose all map info. I called back Garmin explained to them the issue and they said he'd research this issue and get back to me... SOOOO right when i was all fed up with this GSP i discovered its not that bad now to only figure out how to make it work in the mount. Just thought id share my woes.....
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #5622
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
Good day all,
So i have been having an issue with my Montana 600 not showing street, highway or interstate names or only showing a few at a time.... Ive went through all the settings, reset , changed detail, ect ect.... per all the suggestions of everyone here. I got off the phone with Garmin this morning and we did a master reset and i re installed CN2013 woohoo it worked... (for 15 feet). Ablout 45 min later i took my newly installed 600 and tried it out in the car on a trip into town... Crap back to no info.... so while i contemplated on selling this POS I stopped for a quick bite to eat and i thought lets try it not in the rugged mount. Took it out of car mount and turned it on....... perfect all the names appear as they should. I see street names highway names and interstate names, great at least now i know where i am.... I popped it into the rugged mount and BAM!!! names disappeared..... Came home did same experiment on my motorcycle rugged mount same thing.... works great in my hand, put it into the rugged mount and i loose all map info. I called back Garmin explained to them the issue and they said he'd research this issue and get back to me... SOOOO right when i was all fed up with this GSP i discovered its not that bad now to only figure out how to make it work in the mount. Just thought id share my woes.....
While you are waiting for Garmin to get back to you, try going to Setup->Profiles->Options->Set Mount Profiles. Make sure you have the unit out of the mount and then set all of the Mounts to whatever you have set for "Not Mounted".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #5623
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Thank you.... I checked and all profile mount were set to No Change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
While you are waiting for Garmin to get back to you, try going to Setup->Profiles->Options->Set Mount Profiles. Make sure you have the unit out of the mount and then set all of the Mounts to whatever you have set for "Not Mounted".

Cheers,
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #5624
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,064
dumb question ... how does one input a GPS coordinate?

from where to: coordinates doesn't allow change

did a master reset... still cannot change coordinates.

Montana instruction manual is no help...

OK... what am I doing wrong?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #5625
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
dumb question ... how does one input a GPS coordinate?

from where to: coordinates doesn't allow change

did a master reset... still cannot change coordinates.

Montana instruction manual is no help...

OK... what am I doing wrong?
Mark Waypoint/Edit and put in the coordinates you want.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote