Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #13951
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
For those considering buying a Super Tenere, don't buy it, it's a really crappy bike

I'm having so much fun with mine

Here's a video from a trip I took to Atlin, British Columbia, with the group during the "2012 First Super Tenere Gathering"

This trip was during my trip to Alaska with a stop in Whitehorse, Yukon for the gathering
Follow the link below "Alaska Trip" to see pictures of the day and a lot more

AWSOME Video goldie05!!I cant wait to get up to alasaka & B.C. next year!!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #13952
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,370
Does anyone know if the fueling problem has been addressed for the 13s?
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #13953
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post

Actually, Jubby, I don't think it's something they're gonna' be able to "address"; not completely, at least.

At this point in time, all over the world, the emissions standards seem to be getting higher, and harder to reach.

On bikes with a ride-by-wire system (like the ST), the movement of your throttle hand is monitored several times per second. The human hand is not consistent enough to maintain the emissions standards at low RPMs. So, the ride by wire does the work for us; allowing these big bikes to "make the grade", so-to-speak.

What your hand is doing, and what the ride-by-wire system is communicating to the bike, are two different things. That is what gives the on/off, "light switch" feeling to the throttle.

Is there a chance that Yamaha overdid it, and can smooth it out a bit? Sure. But, as far as completely ridding the bike of it, a non-OEM (aftermarket) reflash is probably the answer (in my humble opinion). If Yamaha does smooth it out a bit, at the factory level, it would be nice for them to offer a reflash to the current owners.

Many (magazine columnists, writers, owners, test riders, etc.) have complained of this issue. Is Yamaha listening? Well, they were the only Japanese manufacturer to have the sack to build this bike in the first place...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #13954
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
No problem. And the bars are being built as we speak! Plus I got the built in 'clip-nuts' to make oil changes even easier, and they're en route too! I'm pumped, I go on a weekly dual sport ride on my WRR, and with just a few tweaks I think the Tenere will handle most of it, so that skid plate is going to get a heck of a workout.

You've peaked my interest, with this. I have seen where you take your bike, without the plate. So, I can only imagine where you're gonna' go with it. And, I'm interested to see how it handles your style of riding...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #13955
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Looks to be the typical Yamaha paint color change for model year differences.
Just do the clutch switch mod and there is less on/off response.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #13956
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Just do the clutch switch mod and there is less on/off response.
If abrupt lower-end throttle response is the issue, the clutch switch mod makes it worse, not better. The main reason most folks like the mod is that it makes the throttle "snappier" and eliminates the slight bog the stock bike has off idle as you clutch away from a start.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #13957
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
..it makes the throttle "snappier" and eliminates the slight bog the stock bike has off idle as you clutch away from a start.
Somehow I've learned to ride around it where it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. It's there, no doubt, but I can deal with it without issue. I guess I've kind of reprogrammed myself instead of the bike.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #13958
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckchecker View Post
+1

the clutch switch mod is pretty amazingly effective, especially for the price. If you are too cheap for a fuse, a scrap of stripped wire will work to prove the concept.
+1
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #13959
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNotShow View Post
The mini fuse also increases the "hooligan" factor significantly. You've been warned.
+1
Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #13960
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

This is NOT a street bike

When someone tells you that the ST is a road bike show them this video.
I was the first surprised to go through there, I assure you that the video does not do justice.
Wet rocks, mud and leaves, an explosive cocktail. I was doubting very much to put or not the TC. Finally I switch the TC2, close my eyes and gas!!!
This bike is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbK_...1&feature=plcp
Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #13961
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Somehow I've learned to ride around it where it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. It's there, no doubt, but I can deal with it without issue. I guess I've kind of reprogrammed myself instead of the bike.
Exactly my experience. I have 5K on my bike with the switch mod and I can put it in "Super S" mode anytime I please. I find I use it less and less - while slightly slower in throttle response, I think overall the motor is easier to ride in S rather than Super S. There IS the slight bog off idle that is helped in Super S, but like you, I've just re-programmed my clutch away habits to hold throttle and clutch for a half-second and let the motor climb out of the hole. Except for clutching away from a start, I never notice it otherwise. It's a non-issue for me, although I'm sure it can be a bug-a-boo to others.

- Mark
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #13962
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 439
I am close to purchasing a Tenere but how the heck do you guys who are married to a wife that doesn't like motorcycles at all get an approval to purchase one? This has been my hardest wall to climb. My wife does not understand my love for riding.

I went into a dealer on Saturday and he said to me you really like to ride don't you. How long have you been riding. I said I had my first motorcycle in 78 14 yrs old. This because my father would not buy me one. I had to buy my own. I worked in all kinds of jobs to save up since I was 11 to purchase my first bike. I hated my dad until I realized what he taught me. Thanks Dad!!

Anyways the dealer went to tell me that out of all the customers he sees throughout the day that i am the only one that shows up on a bike in October during a cloudy cold day. ( I just came in after a 6:am ride in the Uintahs and wanted to see if they had something i was looking for).
He said every person that comes in during this day will come in from a car vehicle.
I was shocked. I love to ride. I don't ride for looking cool and have fancy helmets and clothing. I just love to ride. He said he has never seen anyone like me. Everyone usually comes in there car.

So he said a statement that hit home a bit that said i know you have riding in you blood. As most people he sees ride just for recreation.

Anyways I am to the point of getting this Tenere but now my wife is freaking on me.
For those who are married to a non motorcycle luvn wife, how were you able to justify a 14k Tenere?
Give me the secret and I will be a tenere owner.

bd

bouldertag screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 04:10 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #13963
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,031
My background is similar to yours regarding buying my first bike. As soon as I began earning a paycheck I stopped asking permission. In any case, it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission, good luck.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #13964
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
For those who are married to a non motorcycle luvn wife, how were you able to justify a 14k Tenere?

bd
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #13965
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Different spouses will react differently to different approaches. My wife is fairly logical and just wants every assurance that I'm doing everything I can to be safe and that we have good insurance so that if the worst happens we are whole financially. That being said, after a recent shunt with minor injuries, I'm having to see if I can reduce the risk further and reassure her. If I can't, then I'll give the hobby up. She's much more important to me than bikes.

I don't think very many people realize how risky motorcycling is. Over a 50-yr career, if you run a 2% risk of a serious accident every year (which is a very low number and requires a huge commitment to gear, training, concentration, and being very careful), your chances of completing your career without one or more serious accidents is only one in three. Spouses need to be on board with this risk, not kept in the dark.

Financially, the solution is easier - for every dollar I spend on bikes she gets to spend the same amount on something that gives her indivdual satisfaction - she likes furniture. If $28K can't be swung, then you need to buy a $7K bike.

- Mark