Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #661
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
Will do!

I weighed the bike with a full tank of gas and it was 338lbs. Looking at the stock headlight vs the one thats on there I would assume you lose a couple pounds but the bike didn't come with the stock one so I can't say for certain. Its basically plastic and two bulbs so it can't weigh very much.
With a 15/41 combo on the bike I can barely keep the front wheel down as it is. It'll do power wheelies in 3rd gear with no problem. Need to get a lighter tank on it to lose some more weight off the front.. 4th gear power wheelies? Yes please!
Yes please indeed (good luck )

338 is pretty light for a DR- any new tricks you managed to cut weight (compared to the standard ones listed via google)? Im trying to get as much weight off the bike as possible before loading camping crap on there

So far: fmf pc4 (came with bike, prolly switch to a Q4 to make more quiet) pass footpegs, rear taillight, taillight/license plate assy, stock signals (for buell signals), upper chain roller, front reflectors (replaced with 3m reflector tape), speedo and cable and speedo drive assembly as well as indic light fob (vapor w/ dash). Switched to folding dual sport mirrors which seem lighter than stock but still useful too..
To do: shorai battery (right before trip), headlight assy, choke cable (pull type on side of tm40 carb), helmet lock (not sure- my helmet doesnt have d-rings so its useless now, but one might in the future..)

Of course, between a skidplate and all the other crap, ill prolly put half to 3/4 of the weight back on. Sigh..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #662
DocSuzuki
Wrench = Scalpel

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
I think its an acerbis one.. I like the look of it, but the light it puts out is horrible.
It is indeed an Acerbis headlight, Neox. My brother`s Belgarda TT 600 R has one that is unpainted and says it is.

And he also reckons the light output is shit, so shit he likes it when I follow him on the DR, as he rides using my light as a floodlight.

I so wish I had black rims like your stealth mode DR, they look uber cool

Doc

DocSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #663
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,518
on the topic of lights, i tried the TT halogen setup, added relays to my stock light, all that stuff. i loved the look of the TT light, but the output was shit and the signature at a distance was a tiny dot of light.

being that i commute in traffic and most of the time the light is being used to keep the cagers from killing me, the bigger the light the better.

went back to the stock housing and added HID, output is amazing and it is so good at night that i dont worry about riding in the dark at all. on or off road.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #664
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
on the topic of lights, i tried the TT halogen setup, added relays to my stock light, all that stuff. i loved the look of the TT light, but the output was shit and the signature at a distance was a tiny dot of light.

being that i commute in traffic and most of the time the light is being used to keep the cagers from killing me, the bigger the light the better.

went back to the stock housing and added HID, output is amazing and it is so good at night that i dont worry about riding in the dark at all. on or off road.
I was afraid of that. Oh well. I dont really care about looks- I just want something that weighs less than a brick and puts out good light
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #665
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,430
Figured out my no-start problem; The 100 Ohm resistor (used in the ignition circuit for those who have removed their ignition cylinders) went kaputt. Nothing like an 83 cent part to drive you bonkers for weeks!
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #666
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I just got to thinking.
Everyone refers to the DR650 as the ultimate 'zombie apocalypse' bike.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree.
Why?
The bike is not fuel efficient enough.
Ok ok, the DR650 is quite a fuel efficient bike, especially considering how much forward-lurching torque blast-outta-da-cornerz fun it has, it really is.
But for a zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster bike? Sorry, no.
The bikes that will truly shine when shit really hits the motherfucken fan will be bikes such as the TW200, the CT110, the DR250, the XT200.
Bikes which use fuck all of nothing petrol and will get you anywhere and everywhere, and will keep thumping along happily all day. Because lets face it, petrol is going to be damn near unobtainable, and when you can get it, it will be very expensive (think $5 a litre) and people who sell it will be few and far between.

OR.

A multi-fuel motor equipped DR650, a la the HAYES-DT M1030-M2, capable of achieving near 100 MPG. Now THAT would be unstoppable.
Think of the logic behind it. A powerful, high-revving, torque rich, mechanical direct injected, indestructible engine capable of achieving astonishing astonishing fuel mileage mated with the most versatile best go-anywhere any-time bike known to man.

When the zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster inevitably hits, there's going to plenty of people scraping a living together making fuel this engine is capable of happily running on. It is going to be the most widely available and cheapest fuel in existence. After all, you can make kerosene/diesel out of used motor oil (providing you run it through an oil cleaner first) very cheap and biodiesel out of vegetable crops, and lets not forget the vast quantities of unused jet fuel that will be looming around in stores. All of which the M1030-M2's engine is capable of running on quite happily.

One of these days either Hayes-DT is going to release their magnificent single cylinder diesel motorcycle engine into the public sector, or someone is going to design and manufacture an equivalent nearly as good (perhaps better?) engine and make it available for sale to the public. I plan on being one of the first to have it adapted it to the DR650 when this happens, so that I will have the edge when petroleum becomes unobtainium.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #667
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post

OR.

A multi-fuel motor equipped DR650, a la the HAYES-DT M1030-M2, capable of achieving near 100 MPG. Now THAT would be unstoppable.
Think of the logic behind it. A powerful, high-revving, torque rich, mechanical direct injected, indestructible engine capable of achieving astonishing astonishing fuel mileage mated with the most versatile best go-anywhere any-time bike known to man.

When the zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster inevitably hits, there's going to plenty of people scraping a living together making fuel this engine is capable of happily running on. It is going to be the most widely available and cheapest fuel in existence. After all, you can make kerosene/diesel out of used motor oil (providing you run it through an oil cleaner first) very cheap and biodiesel out of vegetable crops, and lets not forget the vast quantities of unused jet fuel that will be looming around in stores. All of which the M1030-M2's engine is capable of running on quite happily.

One of these days either Hayes-DT is going to release their magnificent single cylinder diesel motorcycle engine into the public sector, or someone is going to design and manufacture an equivalent nearly as good (perhaps better?) engine and make it available for sale to the public. I plan on being one of the first to have it adapted it to the DR650 when this happens, so that I will have the edge when petroleum becomes unobtainium.
So where's the link to your build thread?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #668
neoxaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
I just got to thinking.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree.
Why?
The bike is not fuel efficient enough.
Ok ok, the DR650 is quite a fuel efficient bike, especially considering how much forward-lurching torque blast-outta-da-cornerz fun it has, it really is.
But for a zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster bike? Sorry, no.
The bikes that will truly shine when shit really hits the motherfucken fan will be bikes such as the TW200, the CT110, the DR250, the XT200.
Bikes which use fuck all of nothing petrol and will get you anywhere and everywhere, and will keep thumping along happily all day. Because lets face it, petrol is going to be damn near unobtainable, and when you can get it, it will be very expensive (think $5 a litre) and people who sell it will be few and far between.

OR.

I hate to burst the bubble here but it honestly doesn't matter how fuel efficient your vehicle is. You need a mode of transportation that doesn't require fuel. My ultimate adventure/zombie apocalypse vehicle would be a donkey. .. unless it gets bitten and becomes a zombie donkey.. but then to keep it focused I could dangle a brain on a stick in front of it...
neoxaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #669
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
Quote:
I just got to thinking.

Yer too late.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #670
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Id actually like to take the headlight deal farther and find a good aftermarket or KTM piece that increases light while also lowering weight. The stock piece is far too heavy for how (not) useful it is.

Ive heard certain KTM fenders work with the KTM housings (and bolt up to the DR with little modification), but these usually are strictly focused on weight. Anyone have any beads on a replacement front cover/fender option that increases function while reducing weight?
That's a good mod if you can pull it off. We've seen a few here, a few kits are out there that fit the DR650. Some have adapted a Buell headlight. Not bad.

If you can manage all the wiring there and find a nice home for it ... then should be good. The steel front subframe is a bit heavy and perhaps overkill for what it's doing. A rubber strap on dirt bike style headlight/shroud could work. I would go with an HID bulb
for sure. 3 times brighter than stock, cheap, reliable, weighs nothing.

You may as well ditch the stock upper and lower triple clamps as well. The Upper DR one is heavy steel. Maybe you can find something in Alu to fit?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #671
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I hate to burst the bubble here but it honestly doesn't matter how fuel efficient your vehicle is. You need a mode of transportation that doesn't require fuel. My ultimate adventure/zombie apocalypse vehicle would be a donkey. .. unless it gets bitten and becomes a zombie donkey.. but then to keep it focused I could dangle a brain on a stick in front of it...
So then you would still be a 'DR' rider (Donkey rider). Just had to say
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #672
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
I bought my bike about a month ago and the headlight on it looks awesome but is about as functional as tits on a boar hog.

What options are available for a good BRIGHT light that makes riding in the dark a game of playing follow the leader behind a cage so you can see where you're going? If it could maintain some sexy sumo looks that would be great!
I had this unit on my DR a few years ago. Loved it.

goodcat8 screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 11:32 PM
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #673
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I posted this in the other thread but I think it got lost:

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I have a question about the oil cooler. My commute to work is short, about 10 mins). Today it was around 45*F and the oil temp barely got to 110*F as per my vapor. That includes a 2 minute warm up prior to riding.

Should I cover my oil cooler for these short rides so that the oil can get to a better operating temp?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #674
neoxaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I have a question about the oil cooler. My commute to work is short, about 10 mins). Today it was around 45*F and the oil temp barely got to 110*F as per my vapor. That includes a 2 minute warm up prior to riding.

Should I cover my oil cooler for these short rides so that the oil can get to a better operating temp?
I doubt that it would cause any issues if you were to do that. Worst case scenario the engine gets hot and you have to remove the cover but I sincerely doubt that would happen. I would be willing to bet that even with the oil cooler covered you'd be hard pressed to get the bike up to operating temp.
neoxaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #675
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
You may as well ditch the stock upper and lower triple clamps as well. The Upper DR one is heavy steel. Maybe you can find something in Alu to fit?
Um, I don't think the upper triple on my '97 is steel. It looks cast to me (and it's not iron).
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15

Do you have a newer Vapor that has an additional temperature probe? My Vapor's temp probe sits under one of the spark plugs to get (approx.) cylinder head temps. That said, warm oil = happy engine. You may experiment with blocking off 1/3 or 1/2 of the cooler to see what effect you get. When I was racing (cars) we tried to get the oil temp to be close to the water temp. Obviously, that's not a consideration here. I'd shoot for a temp somewhere around 200-220 F.

My commute to work is short, too (8 miles, 20 minutes). I see cylinder head temps near 250 F in similar ambient temps. I wonder what my oil's temp is? Of course, you could go with a thinner oil, too. That wouldn't help with operating temps but it would provide some peace of mind knowing that the oil is circulating on those cold starts.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote