Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Laugh Finally back on a real motorcycle, thanks Erik...

Drove the old chev pickup a total of twelve hours Wed., to source a private sale 2010 XB12X shocking yellow Ulysses, with 7500kms (4650 miles) on the clock.

Insured and plated today, set tire pressures, adjusted suspension to specs, added fuel stabilizer as winter's a day or two away this far north and put 150kms on in the dark tonight.

Finally the perfect excuse, to flog my owned since new 2004 DL1000 for next to nothing , eight years of not enjoying this bike is finally over !

A little more tinkering for a bike with a soul, is a worthwhile tradeoff.

The VStrom, if I might sum it up for myself personally, always felt like riding a wooden traffic barricade with a GREAT motor, forever riding AROUND the bike's inadequacies, rather than feeling conjoined with a beloved mount.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,335
Nice score...there are not a lot of 2010s around, they had some good upgrades. Enjoy your ride!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
996DL OP
Buell me

Oh, and an interesting tidbit right from the horse's mouth, there will be a Rotax powered Ulysses, in the not too distant future. Was trying to get someone at EBR to discuss their custom mapped ecm's and ended up with someone from a far different department, who spoke of more models coming soon and later a Rotax Uly for certain.

996DL
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Rotax Uly for certain.
996DL

MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,223
Nice buy!

Oh yea, the upcoming Rotax powered EBR ADV bike (the AX) is confirmed in print too:

http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cyclenews/20120911?#pg74

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
996DL OP
Buell me

Appreciate the the goodwill on the Uly's purchase gents, thank you.

I had very little time to snap up this distant bike and slip in a brief ride before tucking it away, for virtually the immediate arrival of winter here. But I did...

I near purchased a new firesale priced 09 XB12X back in Jan. 2010, but passed on it and thankfully a close friend purchased it instead.

It didn't do much to quell the LUST though, for owning a last gen Ulysses (2008-2010), rather quite the opposite, being able to eyeball it and see and hear it run at times...

After an always open invitation to ride it, late this summer we swapped bikes, as I was tired of merely thinking it would've been a extremely viable, cost effective alternative to my dreadful 04 DL1000 and needed to know whether it really suited my requirements for a stable, smooth and comfortable touring platform.

My only other rides on a Buell up to this point, had been another close friend's owned since new, last gen tuber 01 M2. Years ago, many miles were gifted to me on this bike and helped to dispel totally, my distrust in the Buell experience.

To be continued...

After all, you were falling asleep anyways...

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 09:28 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Good Bike

I LOVE my 07. Being new to Buell, you have to get used to the the odd noises now and then, the right side heat, and possibly re-mapping the ecm depending pn preference.. BUT.. When you get on a curvy backroad, or lay down mile after mile on the super slab, You smile!
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Congrats on the new ride!
Every time I ride mine I'm happier with it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post

Finally the perfect excuse, to flog my owned since new 2004 DL1000 for next to nothing , eight years of not enjoying this bike is finally over !

A little more tinkering for a bike with a soul, is a worthwhile tradeoff.

The VStrom, if I might sum it up for myself personally, always felt like riding a wooden traffic barricade with a GREAT motor, forever riding AROUND the bike's inadequacies, rather than feeling conjoined with a beloved mount.

996DL
Soon to be ad in FM:

"2004 DL1000 for sale. Best bike I ever owned, perfect in every way. Great suspension. I love this bike, but after eight years of bliss, unfortunately I have to sell it."

Congrats on the new (to you) XT. I'm not a Harley guy but I love Erik's creations.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Its such a rad bike, I am maybe a little jealous of your 2010.

I had a similar buying experience in February. Gassed up the ol Ranger for a 10 hour round trip horse trade - my 07 vstar 1300 for his 06 Uly. I fixed the fuel pump wiring defect, replaced the tires, and put in a K&N like the bike was mapped for and it's been smooooth sailing.

On the way home:

On the way home... from Sturgis, 9,000 fantastic miles later:

unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
chefgreasemonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Enjoy your new ride!
My 06 will turn 64k on the way to work tomorrow and this is my favorite bike i have owned, still runs great but i did just pick up a Super TT with 1500 mi which will be a heart donor when and if necessary!
(I do plan on riding the heck out of the TT in the mean while)
chefgreasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefgreasemonkey View Post
Enjoy your new ride!
My 06 will turn 64k on the way to work tomorrow and this is my favorite bike i have owned, still runs great but i did just pick up a Super TT with 1500 mi which will be a heart donor when and if necessary!
(I do plan on riding the heck out of the TT in the mean while)
Did you have any major surprises in the last 15k? I only ask because mine will cross 50k very soon.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
996DL OP
Buell me

May have to consider your suggestions, for phrasing the ad for the DL1000 come spring Mr. Canoehead.
More likely I'll remove the expensive bits (countless) and sell them seperately on various forum sites and advertise the bike close to stripped, for a very reasonable price. Either way it's gone, long gone...

Prepping quickly for the what turned out to be a night ride, I set the suspension (preload, compression and rebound settings) for a 170 to 200 lbs rider, when in reality I'm 200 lbs without gear, but thought the softer settings would help, considering the temps were barely over 40 degrees F.

WRONG, although the night ride was an absolute hoot, the handling was WAY off, not suprising considering that Buell's are considered extremely sensitive to suspension setup. The next day in preperation for a trip to a friend's garage for storage, I reset to a more sensible base of a 200 to 230 lbs rider and as suggested in the owner's manual, backed off the compression and rebound settings half a turn, to compensate for the low temps. Voila, whole different bike handling wise, no suprise really and just a teaser, to show how this bike will be a pleasure to dial in and enjoy learning while doing it !

996DL
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
chefgreasemonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Did you have any major surprises in the last 15k? I only ask because mine will cross 50k very soon.

Last 15k have been painless as been most of it.
Issues since new, the 77 connector left me down on the first weekend i had it, diagnosed and fixed on the side of the road before my tow arrived, not an issue since.
Snap a belt in the high 20's, my fault, i'll say no more.
Approximately 34k throttle body shaft broke, dead on the road, this and a set of rear wheel bearings are the only tine it left me stranded.
I change the fluids, adjust the clutch, lube and tighten, maintenance is stupid crazy!
I have an 1125 CR which i am putting up for sale (any interest?) it's one of a hell faster and a lot of fun but just doesn't speak to me like the XB's
chefgreasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Always liked Erik's approach to engineering

Having put about 90K miles on the '06 Uly, I'll have to say that that bike gave me the most enjoyment of any single bike (OK, two of 'em, darn deer) in my riding career.

After BMC went belly-up, I decided to go with the Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and the subsequent 41K miles (yep, two of them also, darn hoarfrost) has been very enjoyable. But I always wondered about Erik's next "ADV-type" offering.

Now it sounds like it might actually appear! Can't wait to see if it's something I'll be interested in (as if there'll be any doubt ). I'll have to talk my local Triumph/Ducati dealer in to becoming a Buell dealer, but I'll bet that's possible...

Always did like Erik's (a fellow mechanical engineer) approach to engineering.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote