Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #211
EDW
n00b

Oddometer: 1
SH300i A7 stalling problem,

Hi, my first and probably last post.

Got my bike late 2011, had the new ECU done, still stalling, went back to dealer recently, stalled on way home.

Going back to a different dealer soon who wants to put another ECU and intake valve.

Have complained to Honda.

I have filed a safety defect report with VOSA, it stalled on me turning right at Kings X, could have been very dangerous.
You can download the form and email it to them here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineser...cledefects.htm

I have heard of a recent case where a 2009 model was swapped by Honda for the new 2011 model.
Be persistent!
EDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #212
agesofman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Brake Fluid change

Hi

Scoot is up close to 14,000 miles now and due a front brake pad change soon.
I thought I would replace brake fluid whilst I was at it but from the peek you get of the master cylinder through the handlebar fairing there is no obvious spot to get the new fluid in.

Does anyone know how it's done?

regards
Bob
PS Fitted a Pipercross filter a few months back and both performance (top speed without top box now reaches - if you can wait! - 95mph) and fuel consumption have improved. I am now regularly getting 82 to 83mpg.
agesofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #213
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Dalton View Post
Hi all

My SH is nearly at 11,000 miles so I guess a drive belt change is due, correct?

I'd like to get the parts in advance so are there any other things that need changing at the same time such as the rollers?

The reason I ask is that on cold days after a few minutes running, when pulling away, it seems that the clutch is engaging far too quickly and I can only describe it as trying to pull away in a car in too high a gear. It clears after the engine warms up so I'm assuming it may be worn or sticky rollers.

Any ideas?

TIA

P.s. Any videos or 'how to's' available on the belt change?
Well, at just over 11,000 miles and with a slight scraping sound coming from the front brake that I could only hear when I was pushing my scoot in the garage with the engine off, I decided to give it a proper going over.

Front pads had just started to touch metal on the outer edge so I fitted new front and rear brake pads. Bought a front and rear set of sintered ones (Goldfren) off of ebay for 30. Main dealer wanted nearly 80!

While I was waiting for those to be delivered, I removed the rocker cover and cheked my valve clearances. The clearances were within tollerances so that was that. Next I removed the drive belt cover and the variator. I found no wear on the rollers so after cleaning the dust out of them I put them back. The actual belt seemed fine - no wear or shreding so at 100 a throw, I left that alone too. Gave the clutch a good blow out and made sure the shoes moved freely. Put all that back together.

Changed the oil and filter, cleaned the air filter and adjusted the spark plug gap.

Rode it today and............it's like a new bloody bike!!!!!!!

Acceleration much crisper/smoother at all speeds now and (touch wood) no clunkyness/premature clutch engagement problems so far.

Steve_Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #214
sitbonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Laugh Over and out.

I thought I'd update on my posting of last summer where I posted about my 1500mile journey to Ireland from southen England. A fine trip I would recomend.(page 12)
Anyhow, I just traded my SH for a Honda deauville NT700 and thought I'd let you know the differences while they are still fresh in my mind.
I only really ride to work if it's not raining so this is mainly a fair weather feedback.

The SH held its own on the 34ish mile ride to work. Mostly motorway and I was happy to ride at about 65mph. Average car speed is generally 70-80 so I was in the inside lane mostly but had plenty of power to get to and maintain 80. 85tops.
I also had a fair stretch of traffic in town to my office. Stability on the motorway was better than my new bike but no where near as comfy.

Riding at 65ish and riding as smooth as a baby I regularly returned 75-85mpg which I think is prety good. Filtering and traffic work was a breeze and I found the bike well balanced and plenty fast off the lights.

The service cost was crazy at 200 for the 8k but I think my dealer is expensive.

Overall the bike was excelent value and fun to ride. The downside was the small tank and basically having to fill it every day. I think my commute was just a little too far.

Should I have looked at the new Honda 700cc scoot? Maybe yes but I fancied a bigger tourer and am hoping to take a trip to Scotland and maybe the Southnof France next year.

Happy scooting. And yes, I WILL nod to you not like the 'big bike boys' who shunned me on my SH!
sitbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #215
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Quote:
Well, at just over 11,000 miles and with a slight scraping sound coming from the front brake that I could only hear when I was pushing my scoot in the garage with the engine off, I decided to give it a proper going over.

Front pads had just started to touch metal on the outer edge so I fitted new front and rear brake pads. Bought a front and rear set of sintered ones (Goldfren) off of ebay for 30. Main dealer wanted nearly 80!

While I was waiting for those to be delivered, I removed the rocker cover and cheked my valve clearances. The clearances were within tollerances so that was that. Next I removed the drive belt cover and the variator. I found no wear on the rollers so after cleaning the dust out of them I put them back. The actual belt seemed fine - no wear or shreding so at 100 a throw, I left that alone too. Gave the clutch a good blow out and made sure the shoes moved freely. Put all that back together.

Changed the oil and filter, cleaned the air filter and adjusted the spark plug gap.

Acceleration much crisper/smoother at all speeds now and (touch wood) no clunkyness/premature clutch engagement problems so far.

UPDATE:

Some idiot in a car hit me side-on last week, the day before I was going on holiday. Got carted off to hospital with back muscle injuries. Insurance co. recovered the scooter and took it home for me. Managed to get away on holiday (just) but had a week of back agony and couldn't really do much. Good thing is that they have accepted liability and made an offer for personal injury which I am trying to get them to increase and their assessor is coming to look at the scooter tomorrow - I think they'll write it off - most of the plastic panels and screen are kaput, the exhaust cat may be damaged as thats where the car hit me and the handlebars are bent. Damaged my jeans, cracked my iPhone which was in my back pocket at the time and scuffed a hole in my jacket elbow. Just when it was all going good too! I'll let you know how it all pans out.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #216
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
UPDATE:

Some idiot in a car hit me side-on last week, the day before I was going on holiday. Got carted off to hospital with back muscle injuries. Insurance co. recovered the scooter and took it home for me. Managed to get away on holiday (just) but had a week of back agony and couldn't really do much. Good thing is that they have accepted liability and made an offer for personal injury which I am trying to get them to increase and their assessor is coming to look at the scooter tomorrow - I think they'll write it off - most of the plastic panels and screen are kaput, the exhaust cat may be damaged as thats where the car hit me and the handlebars are bent. Damaged my jeans, cracked my iPhone which was in my back pocket at the time and scuffed a hole in my jacket elbow. Just when it was all going good too! I'll let you know how it all pans out.
Hi Steve,

I have decided that the next time I have an "accident" with personal injury I will call White Dalton solicitors and run the matter past them.

With some compensation plus the write-off value you should be able to pick up a new one or maybe a Piaggio BV350.

Hope you recover soon,

Regards,

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #217
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Well, it wasn't written off and the insurance company gave me a cash settlement to repair the damaged bike. That, plus the personal injury compensation, loss of earnings and damage to personal items was enough to allow me to buy either a new SH or a BV. Test rode a BV yesterday and it wasn't as good as the Honda. As my SH is still mechanically perfect, I've fixed it up and will be putting the cash away to replace it in the future. Happy days!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #218
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Well, it wasn't written off and the insurance company gave me a cash settlement to repair the damaged bike. That, plus the personal injury compensation, loss of earnings and damage to personal items was enough to allow me to buy either a new SH or a BV. Test rode a BV yesterday and it wasn't as good as the Honda. As my SH is still mechanically perfect, I've fixed it up and will be putting the cash away to replace it in the future. Happy days!
Just curious not sure if you would know, but can SH300i's be imported stateside?
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #219
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
Just curious not sure if you would know, but can SH300i's be imported stateside?
A quick google showed this: http://www.expatsvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11631

Not sure if thats of any use to you.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #220
_Tom_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello from Czech Republic
my first season at sh2011.od March 2012 to September 2012 27,000 km (16 777mil). super for one season. 

Trips and tours:
Austrian Alps, grossglockner
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/20...Skutrexpedice/

F1 deutschland
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/20...g_Deutschland/

Poland Wieliczka
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/28..._-_solne_doly/

and many more trips and more photos: http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/

in CZE. way for 48 hours around the whole country. 1500 km
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/Ku...la_mapa_48.jpg

- Technology OK. no defect.
service just oil, filters, spark plug,. According to the service calendar ;-)
variator, belt, rollers - OK
brake pads about 50% front, 70% rear
No loss of oil

Manufacture of tires, Metzeler feelfree both exchange at 24,000 km, now reinsertion Metzeler ;-)

Consumption: 3.5 l/100km (27 000km)

accessories
- Givi airflow
- Givi topbox B47 with painted lid
- Hotgrips oxford
- Gps mount made for Givi airflow with power firmly tomtom
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/Drzak_navigace/

- 12V socket with a constant supply under saddle

- Holders of side bags easily customized, similar
http://tom-galerie.rajce.idnes.cz/Bocni_tasky/
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #221
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Quote:

Just an update on the belt issue. It started getting a bit sluggish again so I bit the bullet and decided to replace the belt and rollers. On ebay there's a couple of sellers selling non-original belts for 99.99 plus about 13 postage. Christ, I wondered how much a genuine Honda one would be. I phoned up and was flabbergasted to find that the are just 77.00!!!

I ended up paying just 95 for an original belt and a set of original rollers. Good for another 12,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #222
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Just to say I replaced the screen with a Givi airflow one. Very good screen and I'd definitely recommend it. Got a nearly new on off the 'bay for 60. Seller had bought an SH300 to do the knowledge on but his clip board thingy with his routes on wouldn't fit with this screen. Mot this week - it'll fly through!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #223
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Just to say I replaced the screen with a Givi airflow one. Very good screen and I'd definitely recommend it. Got a nearly new on off the 'bay for 60. Seller had bought an SH300 to do the knowledge on but his clip board thingy with his routes on wouldn't fit with this screen. Mot this week - it'll fly through!
Unusual to find a guy doing the taxi driver exam on anything larger than a 125.
The screen is great and one can remove the upper half when it gets hot.
Just fitted new tyres (Michelin Citygrips) and front pads at 10,700 miles. I found the Dunlop Scootsmarts either difficult to obtain or 35% more expensive than the Michelins.

John Bentall screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 01:23 AM
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #224
HondaBlue
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Oil and filter service

Hey Guys,

My SH is about to come out of its 2 year warranty and im wanting to change the oil and oil filter myself to save a few pennies, i'm used to doing this on cars so have an idea, but would just like some advice as to how to go about it and where best to get the parts, what oil to use, that sort of thing as every penny helps in these current economic times and i would appreciate the help. My honda dealer charges about 60 an hour i think so my normal service is costing me 140 a pop

I have looked on your tube for any videos but there aren't any.

thanks for any comments or help.

Cheers
Mike
HondaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #225
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Really easy to do. From memory, you need a couple of litres of 10w/40 oil. If you buy this from ebay you will get at least two oil changes from it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-SH-3...item41671a2913
Warm the engine up, remove the sump plug and drain the oil, unscrew the filter and screw the new one on, put fresh oil in it and check with the distick (do not screw it in), run the engine for a couple of minutes and then recheck and top up. Job done.